PDA

View Full Version : Can't efficiently character...

Shadowscale
2014-04-17, 12:15 PM
Okay, if anyone would be willing to look at my character build which I know isn't currently very good at at all and give me any advice or recommendations for feats or advancement including good mounts that are both good on land and sea for later on I'd really appreciate it. (Plan to take Wild cohort feat for a decent mount)

Aquatic Elf, Knight 5
Combat: AC= 18 Hit-points: 51; Initiative: +1; Speed: 30 BAB +5,
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1.
Abilities: Str 16 (+3), Dex 12 (+1), Con 14 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 14 (+2).
Feats and Powers: Mounted Combat (As Class), Endurance, Die hard,Landwalker
Equipment: Chain Mail Armor, Large steel shield, Masterwork Trident, Lance

John Longarrow
2014-04-17, 12:59 PM
Shadowscale,

What are you looking for this character to do?
In general, if this character is going to be part of a group you will want to make sure everyone is mounted OR you will want to build a non-mountcentric character.

Reason for this is mounts normally give good speed, good hitting power, and require lots of open area. They do not do sneaky well. They also require care and feeding.

If the entire group is taking care of their mounts this works pretty well. If you are the only one on a mount and your mount is bigger than everyone else, you can run into a lot of problems with dungeon crawls/transportation/generally being able to fight as part of a group.

Also, are you looking to do primarily underwater adventures?

Dayzgone
2014-04-17, 02:20 PM
I agree with Longarrow. We need a bit more context of your games setting. Why exactly are you a Aquatic Elf? Is the game based around islands and sea travel? Otherwise there is very little reason you should not be going as a Human or a str/con based race. Also what is your role in the party? That will change how you should be building your character.

There are very few good ways to build a knight, one is as a defensive tripper, the other as a mounted charger (you could also do party face, but not typically a role your should be filling.)

Also please, please, please get rid of endurance and Die hard as feats, Die hard is good yes but not worth the wasting of two feats for. That feat line is a trap, and the feats would be better served getting you power attack, ride by attack, improved trip or similar.

Otherwise I very much recommend looking at Person Man's handbook on knights. Ill put the link right here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?109429-3-5-Person-Man-s-Knight-Handbook

Mootsmcboots
2014-04-17, 03:33 PM
Giant Frog mount!

nedz
2014-04-17, 07:13 PM
It's hard to do anything with Knight which isn't just more levels of Knight.
Lockdown builds work quite well.

There's a handbook here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3557) which may help.