PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D&D 3.5 DM Screen

Thorvaldr
2014-04-17, 01:09 PM
When I was starting my current campaign about 6 months ago (first time being the DM), I made myself a custom DM screen, as I couldn't find one that had enough information on it available anywhere. As I have been using this forum for years now in creating my own characters, learning about different rules, and in planning my own campaign, I meant to share it with everyone here as a kind of thank you. And also for any fact-checking and/or suggestions you all might have! (As I currently still have 1/2 of a column without any information on it.)

D&D 3.5 DM Screen (http://www.scribd.com/doc/218831159/D-D-3-5-DM-Screen) <- *Scribd source, use lower link in the post*

(Also: Does anyone know of a better site I can share files with other than Scribd, which I just noticed requires someone to sign in before they can download the file. I'd use Google Docs Drive, but I can't upload newer revisions there, or see how many people have downloaded said file.)

So, thank you all for being awesome and knowledgeable!

EDIT: I hear that Scribd is being difficult in terms of signing up. Here it is in a Google Drive link. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ELy5PkvnsZYTBPS20wcU4telU/view?usp=sharing)

killem2
2014-04-17, 01:40 PM
When I was starting my current campaign about 6 months ago (first time being the DM), I made myself a custom DM screen, as I couldn't find one that had enough information on it available anywhere. As I have been using this forum for years now in creating my own characters, learning about different rules, and in planning my own campaign, I meant to share it with everyone here as a kind of thank you. And also for any fact-checking and/or suggestions you all might have! (As I currently still have 1/2 of a column without any information on it.)

D&D 3.5 DM Screen (http://www.scribd.com/doc/218831159/D-D-3-5-DM-Screen)

(Also: Does anyone know of a better site I can share files with other than Scribd, which I just noticed requires someone to sign in before they can download the file. I'd use Google Docs Drive, but I can't upload newer revisions there, or see how many people have downloaded said file.)

So, thank you all for being awesome and knowledgeable!

Drop canvas is probably the best way :)

Mootsmcboots
2014-04-17, 02:07 PM
This is super timely. I've been looking for a good DM screen. Pre-mades are usually laid out poorly, lack info.

Can't check this one out till after work, but I have high hopes.

EDIT: Looks like what I need! Note, can view file without scribd account

commander panda
2014-04-17, 02:19 PM
this is awesome! i'v been wanting a screen to speed things up, and i'm sure i can find some posterboard to stick this on. thanks for sharing.

Thorvaldr
2014-04-17, 03:57 PM
Drop canvas is probably the best way :)

Oooh, haven't seen Dropcanvas before. That's really cool for quickly sharing files, but I'm looking for something a bit more involved. I need something where I can upload revisions to the same document. I was using Google Docs before, and when I uploaded a revised DM screen about a week ago, I turned my old one to private. I then started getting requests for the old one, even after I changed everything I had linking to the DM screen to the new one. (Basically, just the link here in my sig, and a link or two at Obsidian Portal.)

I kept getting requests for the old one though, and after asking someone where they were finding the link, it turns out it was one of the first responses in the Google search results! ...which is cool, but I need an easier way to update things and still have them be consistent link-wise at least.

I'll definitely use this for quickly uploading files for players and whatnot though!

This is super timely. I've been looking for a good DM screen. Pre-mades are usually laid out poorly, lack info.

Can't check this one out till after work, but I have high hopes.

EDIT: Looks like what I need! Note, can view file without scribd account

Good to know that viewing is easy at least! I'll take that as a half victory. :P

this is awesome! i'v been wanting a screen to speed things up, and i'm sure i can find some posterboard to stick this on. thanks for sharing.

I'm actually still trying to figure out a good way to do it. :P So far I've printed it out on some 110 pound paper/stock/whatever, and put them into plastic binder sleeves, taping the first 2 pages together, and the last 2 pages together. And then I put those up. They stand up relatively well. But more importantly, they're somewhat protected. I've put a map of my campaign world on the other side for the players to look at.

Palanan
2014-04-17, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Thorvaldr
Good to know that viewing is easy at least! I'll take that as a half victory.

Viewing, yes...and it's very nicely done. Some of the colors are a little clashing, but the amount of information is impressive.

Originally Posted by Thorvaldr
I've put a map of my campaign world on the other side for the players to look at.

Good idea there. Or maybe wanted posters for all their characters.

:smalltongue:

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-17, 04:12 PM
This looks like a really good screen. If I played in person, I would definitely use it.

If you need a hosting site that supports versioning, dropbox actually isn't bad. You can give out the link to just one file or folder. Uploading a newer version of a file will both allow people to download the newest, and maintains older copies if you need them. No account necessary for others to download.

Edit: If you need a better material to put it on, I recommend chipboard, with paper pasted on. You can get chipboard in large sheets -- 30x40" or bigger--, and if you cut it halfway through on one side, it easily bends. Plus it comes in many different thicknesses.

Thorvaldr
2014-04-18, 10:10 AM
Viewing, yes...and it's very nicely done. Some of the colors are a little clashing, but the amount of information is impressive.

The main theme I think I found in some other screen that just felt fairly light on information, but to me it felt very similar to the SRD. Or do you mean the Actions in Combat area... which yeah. It's such a huge list I wanted someway to organize it, and the best solution I came up with is color.

If you need a hosting site that supports versioning, dropbox actually isn't bad. You can give out the link to just one file or folder. Uploading a newer version of a file will both allow people to download the newest, and maintains older copies if you need them. No account necessary for others to download.

Edit: If you need a better material to put it on, I recommend chipboard, with paper pasted on. You can get chipboard in large sheets -- 30x40" or bigger--, and if you cut it halfway through on one side, it easily bends. Plus it comes in many different thicknesses.

I actually haven't even thought about Dropbox... I used it a couple years ago, and have forgotten about it since. I'll take another look. And chipboard could work well, much better than plastic binder sheet covers at least. :smalltongue:

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-18, 08:48 PM
The main theme I think I found in some other screen that just felt fairly light on information, but to me it felt very similar to the SRD. Or do you mean the Actions in Combat area... which yeah. It's such a huge list I wanted someway to organize it, and the best solution I came up with is color.

I actually haven't even thought about Dropbox... I used it a couple years ago, and have forgotten about it since. I'll take another look. And chipboard could work well, much better than plastic binder sheet covers at least. :smalltongue:

Your thread motivated me to finalize a version of my character sheet to share with the masses. Here it is (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pg9947g3djvpv4y/14nZ4JDUGX), in case you're interested.

Have you thought about making stuff that PCs might want to know to go on the reverse side of the screen? Perhaps a lot of the same "actions in combat" info, or even just things like how power attack and crits work? Perhaps an in-game calendar/solar/lunar cycle?

Sir Chuckles
2014-04-18, 11:46 PM
I just clamp two or three plastic binders together and call it good. DM Screen, notepad, and folder all in one!

Demented77
2017-05-19, 11:36 PM
So did a version of this DM Screen ever make it to a different site. Scribd wants a sub now to be able to download. And it has restrictions on how much of what you can download. And there is the sub fee. :smalltongue:

flappeercraft
2017-05-19, 11:40 PM
Well it seems pretty good, I would reccomend adding possibly one of those obscure rules you just always forget to use from splatbooks. Just the most forgettable ones in addition to additional skill uses from splatbooks.

Edit: I like just noticed this is thread necro, just ignore this post

Mike Miller
2017-05-19, 11:47 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThreadNecromancer