PDA

View Full Version : One-man show.

Inevitability
2014-04-18, 12:29 AM
If you have to play through an adventure (scaled down as usual) with only one party member, what would it be? All materials are allowed.

I'd be playing a half-elf sentinel druid, who's creating a wall-of-fur build and has picked up Hand of Radiance through dilettante.

Dimers
2014-04-18, 12:48 AM
In heroic tier, assassin multiclassed to rogue, taking Hidden Insight to alphastrike creatures sequentially at a time of your choosing. If the combat is scaled down, you're likely to only face one critter at a time, so start out by taking away a big chunk of hit points through mostly non-combat actions. Assassins have some powers to go invisible, too, so you might conceivably backstab, leave, rebuild your pile of shrouds, then backstab again.

In paragon tier, probably Cunning Sneak rogue MCed to monk for Ghostwalker PP. Ignore all noncombat encounters you want to -- you have indefinitely self-sustaining Hidden.

p.d0t
2014-04-18, 12:49 AM
Half-Orc Master at Arms Ranger with Inherent Bonuses..?

Kurald Galain
2014-04-18, 03:49 AM
I'd say archer ranger, multiclassing to shaman to get emergency healing powers, with a high movement rate so you can pincushion most things from a distance. That's effective but fairly boring to play though; I think I personally would go for a rogue with good stealth and good social skills.

Inevitability
2014-04-18, 06:05 AM
I'd say archer ranger, multiclassing to shaman to get emergency healing powers, with a high movement rate so you can pincushion most things from a distance. That's effective but fairly boring to play though; I think I personally would go for a rogue with good stealth and good social skills.

If you want a shoot-and-run build, I'd go for an elven archer slayer. Even more boring, but you'd gain 12 squares of movement per turn, while still shooting enemies for 1d10+10 damage.

Leewei
2014-04-18, 11:15 AM
Half-elf Chaladin with Warlock's Eyebite as a dilettante power.

GPuzzle
2014-04-18, 11:34 AM
Half-Elf Bard, Eldritch Strike as Dilletante, Multiclass Wizard, pick up Sleep, Multiclass Invoker, Adept of Whispers as PP, Multiclass Ranger for the usage of a normal weapon as your off-hand weapon, multiclass Battlemind for Brutal Barrage, apply Frostcheese, take Two-Weapon Opening, take a high-crit weapon, take Seal of the Heretic from the Invoker, take Chant of Bad Fortune, take Archspell as your Epic Destiny, with your Signature Spell being Sleep, and watch as you completely obliterate encounters with 3 crits and an MBA to sell the deal off on every attack you make.

Inevitability
2014-04-18, 02:14 PM
I lost track of GPuzzle's build about halfway. Maybe create a separate thread for it?

Also, the number of half-elves here can't be an coincidence.

Leewei
2014-04-18, 02:18 PM
... the number of half-elves here can't be an coincidence.

Dilettante is just that good, especially after Heroic.

GPuzzle
2014-04-18, 02:31 PM
The build is more of a TheoreticalOptimization build than anything - it has 3 different ways to slap -5 to a save, while having 3 crits via Brutal Barrage, which trigger Two-Weapon Opening, with Eldritch Strike for another attack. And it can do that every encounter.

And Frost Cheese because why not, although Vicious could be pretty good too.

Kimera757
2014-04-20, 10:35 AM
You need endurance. I'd go with a paladin. Lots of surges, lots of hit points so a good surge value, and Lay on Hands for emergency healing. You want high Wisdom so lots of Lay on Hands uses per day, and since you're by yourself don't bother enhancing your Divine Challenge. Instead, take the highest damaging powers possible.

There's a couple of encounter or daily powers that enhance mobility, which is critical if you get surrounded. Paladins aren't fast, so that happens easily.

GPuzzle
2014-04-20, 10:44 AM
Basically, Straladin.

Inevitability
2014-04-20, 01:15 PM
Yeah, if I was restricted to core, straladin would be my bet too. Maybe with a ranger multiclass tacked on for some more striker powers.

p.d0t
2014-04-20, 01:47 PM
I'm running a charge kit on a crit-fishing STR/WIS paladin (mid-paragon) and that guy is a beast

Tegu8788
2014-04-20, 05:43 PM
Executioner|Warlock, going Con/Dex. Get as many HP as you can, riposte as much as you can with your massive Eldritch Strike, and get as many ways to punish someone for attacking you as you can.

This is, assuming, I can't be the GM...

Edit: Be a Pixie, and throw charge cheese in. MC Rogue to increase sneakiness, darting in and out of combat as much as possible, hiding in an tiny space you can to rest while they look for you.

Alternately, Swordlock, Int/Con, and teleport everywhere.

GPuzzle
2014-04-20, 05:50 PM
Be a Revenant and watch as the DM slowly tries to kill you but fails.

Actually, jump off a pit, fly back, and watch as your DM rips his hair off.

Epinephrine
2014-04-21, 07:27 AM
In heroic tier, assassin multiclassed to rogue, taking Hidden Insight to alphastrike creatures sequentially at a time of your choosing. If the combat is scaled down, you're likely to only face one critter at a time, so start out by taking away a big chunk of hit points through mostly non-combat actions. Assassins have some powers to go invisible, too, so you might conceivably backstab, leave, rebuild your pile of shrouds, then backstab again.

In paragon tier, probably Cunning Sneak rogue MCed to monk for Ghostwalker PP. Ignore all noncombat encounters you want to -- you have indefinitely self-sustaining Hidden.

I like this approach; Assassins are very good at surviving, and have all the tools to take out foes and disappear again.

neonchameleon
2014-04-21, 09:58 AM
If you have to play through an adventure (scaled down as usual) with only one party member, what would it be? All materials are allowed.

I'd be playing a half-elf sentinel druid, who's creating a wall-of-fur build and has picked up Hand of Radiance through dilettante.

With one PC most balance concerns would be out of the window. Defenders are out ("Attack me or...?") and full Squishies are out (too easy for things to go too badly wrong for a sorceror, wizard, or invoker). I'd need to be real good at hiding, and pretty good at duelling - and able to take out minions. I also need flexibility and quite a lot of trained skills.

The obvious candidates are mostly ones that are considered weak. Leaders ... you've nothing to lead. From the controller list, you have the two melee controllers (Shapeshifting Druid, Bladesinger). Both feel solid, neither feels good.

From the striker list, the rogue and sorceror aren't going to cut it. You've the PHB Ranger (questionable; melee PHB rangers lack AC and archery ones are archers), the Warlock (could work), the Avenger (Nope - minions and you're always outnumbered), Barbarian. From the PHB3 you've the Monk (would work well). Essentials brings the Thief (for once CA will be hard - but definitely viable), the Scout (would work well), the Slayer (too few skills), the Hexblade (not bad at all), the Vampire, the Executioner, and the Blackguard.

My shortlist would be the Monk, the Scout, the Thief, the Vampire, the Hexblade, and the Bladesinger.

My personal choice would be a Ninja (shuriken for minion clearing) Executioner (for once the alphastrike really works). Race: Human (Heroic Effort). Theme: Alchemist (all the more utility). Multiclass: too many choices (wizard, rogue, warlock, and bard all have good points). And go via the Stealth-and-poison route to play in a way that doesn't work terribly well in standard 4e but you don't have to worry about your party clanking in a 1 on 1 game. Silent Stalker and Ghost of the Rooftops give you all the mobility you could need... Endurance? You think I mean to fight everyone? Unless they surprise me my opening shot is going to be massive - shrouds and the assassin's strike, and possibly a sneak attack. Or I just go past them. Or use Silent Stalker to poison the goblet they are just about to drink from.

GPuzzle
2014-04-21, 10:58 AM
>rogue
>terrible AC

Your AC is better than the Warlock's! You're sitting at 17 while he's sitting at 15!

Also, Vampire. Lolwut.

And CA? Frostcheese.

So, list:

Tanky:
Barbarian, Slayer - both have tons of HP and good AC

Mobile:
Thief, Scout, Ranger, Rogue, Monk - AC is good enough, and you can damage plenty of enemies/get tons of attacks.

Ranged: Sorcerer (especially Dragon), Warlock (buff your defenses! Buff them!)