PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious...

Neon Knight
2007-02-08, 07:35 AM
About D20 Modern.

1. What books do I have to buy to start playing D20 Modern? how much do they cost?

2. How popular is D20 Modern?

3. Is D20 modern just DnD 3.5 (talking ruleswise) in a present day setting?

4. What are good splatbooks for D20 Modern?

InaVegt
2007-02-08, 07:41 AM
About D20 Modern.

1. What books do I have to buy to start playing D20 Modern? how much do they cost?You only need the core rulebook, which costs around €40,- in my place. Wouldn't be able to tell for other places

2. How popular is D20 Modern?Depends on where you live, it's reasonably popular over here, but that might be different in other places.

3. Is D20 modern just DnD 3.5 (talking ruleswise) in a present day setting?Well, it is D20, but there are some major differences. Examples: while races still exist everyone is assumed to be human in a standard game, but to replace races there are occupations, indicating what your character did before he became a PC. Als there is the wealth system which is a very abstract way of dealing with money and slightly strange if you're used to D&D.

4. What are good splatbooks for D20 Modern?Depends on what you want, I myself like Urban arcana (Technically a campaign setting, but still) for a touch of magic and D20 future/past for campaigns in different times.

Gezina van den Vechte, Fallen celestial, Champion of Hell

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-08, 03:08 PM
Also - check out the d20 modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd) (as a free, legal download). That'll let you do a "try before you buy" - if you're fmiliar with D&D3.5, you'll pick up d20 modern quite quickly: most of the rules are the same.

Though you can play the games from the SRDs, they're so dry - it's nice to get the books for the flavour and fluff and artwork.

Dhavaer
2007-02-08, 03:23 PM
About D20 Modern.

1. What books do I have to buy to start playing D20 Modern? how much do they cost?

The d20 Modern Core book, as Gezina said. The cost depends on where you are, buy it'll probably be the same as any other Wizards hardcover, or slightly more.

2. How popular is D20 Modern?

Difficult to say. Less so than D&D, definately.

3. Is D20 modern just DnD 3.5 (talking ruleswise) in a present day setting?

No. The primary differences are the Massive Damage rules (threshold equal to Constitution, sets you to -1 instead of dead) and the classes (only six base classes, no class has more than 10 levels, free multiclassing).

4. What are good splatbooks for D20 Modern?

Urban Arcana has a lot of things that should have been in the Core, whether or not you'll be using magic. If you're going to GM, Critical Locations is made of good and godly win. The Game Mechanics books are quite good, although balance is a little iffy.