PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Desert-based Druid

DrummingDM
2007-02-08, 08:23 AM
I've never played a Druid, and I'm considering it for an upcoming 3.5-converted Al-Qadim game. Obviously, since we're talking Al-Qadim, we're talking a desert/Middle Eastern theme. And I was considering potentially going the Druid route for the game, as I usually play casters/clerics, and I think the party needs some magical/healing support.

I know, I know, Druids are overpowered. Wildshape and what-not. Well, I figure that won't be a huge issue, as it would make no sense for a Druid to wildshape into a bear, or dire ape, in the middle of the desert. A scorpion or snake, sure. But the more "broken" wildshape forms would be right out.

Here's the crux of my question - are there any prestige classes out there for a druid that fit a desert theme? Can you suggest any spells/animal companions/feats/etc. that would fit into a "master of winds" or "seeker of water" type Druid?

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-08, 08:27 AM
Lord of the Tides, from Sandstorm is what you're looking for :smallsmile:

NullAshton
2007-02-08, 08:31 AM
You could see if you can get permission from your DM on getting a swarm as an animal companion, properly balanced of course. It would be unique, and at the same time fitting with your character concept.

InaVegt
2007-02-08, 08:41 AM
I advice you to look at sandstorm, there are alternate class features for desert druids in there, as well as lots of animal companions usable by desert druids.

Gezina van den Vechte, Fallen celestial, Champion of Hell

DrummingDM
2007-02-08, 08:44 AM
I advice you to look at sandstorm, there are alternate class features for desert druids in there, as well as lots of animal companions usable by desert druids.Cool. I think the guy who's going to be DM'ing this has this book. I'll have to get my hands on it.

Thanks, folks. :)

Charity
2007-02-08, 08:45 AM
I'm playing a desert Druid at the mo. Over here (http://www.bestfreeforums.com/forums/crimson-sands-ic-vt87-rpg.html)
I have an Hyena as an animal companion, works for me.
The DM has kindly altered entangle to make it still useable, and create water and endure elements are officially tip top spells.

Now I'm thinking I need to look at sandstorm...

DrummingDM
2007-02-08, 08:51 AM
Charity, how exactly is entagle altered? Shifting sand, or something similar?

daggaz
2007-02-08, 08:58 AM
Animals in the desert? Hyenas and lions (they do wander into desert areas, I saw it on Discovery Channel!!!), Camels (don't laugh, it would be great for just surviving a long trek after your party gets lost), goats (see if your DM will allow a swarm lol), locusts (swarm again), monstrous scorpion, monstrous viper, eagle/small roc, vulture, crocodile, and lets not forget, the Namibian Dune Beetle (you spend every dawn with your head in the sand and your ass in the air to collect precious moisture from the morning air). Oh the desert fox would be cool, too.

Personally I think a desert themed druid would be cool. You could specialize in desert type spells, as well as spells that create water..

DrummingDM
2007-02-08, 09:19 AM
Personally I think a desert themed druid would be cool. You could specialize in desert type spells, as well as spells that create water..That exactly what I'm envisioning - controlling and attempting to tame the sands and winds, and essentially serving as a water cooler for the rest of the party.

Charity
2007-02-08, 09:23 AM
Charity, how exactly is entagle altered? Shifting sand, or something similar?

He simply rules that it causes entangling plants to grow from any soil/sand for the duration of the spell. Keeps things simple, though a quicksand varient would be cool, just keep the mechanics the same and alter the fluff accordingly.

So what is poor Zayd missing out on in Sandstorm?

Darrin
2007-02-08, 09:54 AM
Here's the crux of my question - are there any prestige classes out there for a druid that fit a desert theme? Can you suggest any spells/animal companions/feats/etc. that would fit into a "master of winds" or "seeker of water" type Druid?

One of the better PrCs would be Windwalker (3.0, from _Faiths and Pantheons_). It's specific to a FR deity (Shaundakul) but see if your GM is willing to adapt it into his campaign. Great PrC - *full* BAB, *full* caster levels, and tops out with a permanent fly speed of 100'. Major downside: does not advance wildshape or animal companion.

Also, consider a 1-level dip into Dervish for Slashing Blades. This lets you treat scimitars as light weapons, perfect for TWF. Add a level of Scout for some skirmish damage to go with Dervish Dance, or go directly into Tempest to work out your Drizzt fetish.

Picking up some levels of Swordsage would also be nice. Add your Wis bonus to AC, pick up some Desert Wind maneuvers for flavor, and taking a few Tiger Claw maneuvers for use while wildshaping or lion's-pouncing wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Unfortunately, the only Desert Wind flavored PrCs are arcane (Jade Phoenix Mage) or cleric-specific (Ruby Knight Vindicator). A 2-level dip into Bloodclaw Master would get rid of the -2 penalty for TWF with claws/daggers.

Wolf53226
2007-02-08, 11:28 AM
goats (see if your DM will allow a swarm lol)

OK, I must be missing something, because a swarm of goats seems quite hilarious to me.:smallbiggrin: Plus, I thought swarms had to be tiny or smaller animals? Could be wrong about that, I don't have the rules to swarms memorized.

Telonius
2007-02-08, 11:33 AM
For animals ... camel, maybe? Horse? Nothing wrong with horses in the desert, they're just not as well-adapted as camels. Historically, people in the Middle East were supposed to be excellent horsemen. Hyenas or jackals would work too; as would certain kinds of desert snakes.

How desert-y is your desert? Are we talking Dune, or are there oases and rivers around occasionally? If there are rivers, crocodiles would make sense.

Horizon Walker with Desert terrain mastery comes to mind. You might not want to take it, though, since it doesn't give caster progression.

For spells: Create Water, Obscuring Mist, Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Quench, Plant Growth, Control Water, Control Wind, Wind Wall, Control Weather, Wind Walk, and Whirlwind sound like reasonable spells for a desert- or weather-themed Druid.

I'm not sure if there are any movement penalties for moving across sandy terrain. If there are, you might try convincing your DM to allow you to switch out that "Woodland Stride" ability (not much chance of moving through undergrowth, and it wouldn't make sense for you to have it anyway) to a "Sand Stride" ability.

hewhosaysfish
2007-02-08, 11:38 AM
goats (see if your DM will allow a swarm lol)

In one campaign I'm in (sort of) the party were stocking up for a big trip and, when asked what was available, the DM made it clear he would allow pretty much whatever (unwise for some DM's but he laughs off and works around silly brokeness).
The druid player worked out they could afford around a thousand goats. The DM suggest that was unworkable. They eventually compromised on two.

They later put an unidentified magic item (a mask) one. It won't come off again and the goat registers on the paladin's Detect Evil.

JimmyDPawn
2007-02-08, 12:44 PM
Technically, druids can't turn into scorpions; they're vermin, not animals. (Also, the whole 'not having a mind' thing) Of course, that's being picky. Your DM may allow it, seeing as the sort of setting it is. Or perhap shifting into ONLY vermin istead of animals.

And even if he doesn't, there is a robe in Complete Adventurer that allows druids to shift into Vermin

Ravenscroft
2007-02-09, 12:36 PM
I know, I know, Druids are overpowered.
Play a Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine instead.
You still use the Druid spell-lists.
Better spell flexibility , no Wildshape and some fun class features.
But , imo , Druids are not overpowered. :biggrin:

Starbuck_II
2007-02-09, 12:43 PM
For animals ... camel, maybe? Horse? Nothing wrong with horses in the desert, they're just not as well-adapted as camels. Historically, people in the Middle East were supposed to be excellent horsemen. Hyenas or jackals would work too; as would certain kinds of desert snakes.

Do'nt forget the Wild kitty animal in Sandstorm that has pounce. Get an animal companion one (same HD as cat).

goat
2007-02-09, 01:24 PM
Sand worm.

ZekeArgo
2007-02-09, 01:32 PM

That just means you haven't seen one properly played. They aren't called CoDZilla for nothing.

Druid
2007-02-09, 01:59 PM

Trust me, played properly, I'm unbelievably powerful.