PDA

View Full Version : DM Help LA +0 Hobgoblins?

Zombimode
2014-04-18, 05:59 AM
Sometime in the future I will run an Eberron campaign.
In Eberron, Hoboblins are one of the major races and to me there is no reason why they shouldn't be considered as a standard (ie. non-exotic) option for player races.
I really appreciate how the new Eberron races are all LA+0 and actually quite good. At least Kalashtars, Changelings and Warforged don't need to hide in the shadows of Humans, Dwarfs and Halflings. That means those races, unlike those presented in say the XPH, are actually played.

Hobgoblins on the other hand come with this ugly LA +1. Now, I'm not saying that LA is never worth it or something like that. But Hobgoblins just have +2 Dex and Con, +4 Move Silently and Darkvision and thats it. Loosing a character level for that seems like a really bad trade.

I don't want to change the hobgoblin traits, so the question remains: how about just cutting the LA?

Sure the double stat bonus with no stat penalty seems really nice, but compared to a bonus feat and skillpoints, or to the dwarfs endless list of nice features on top of a good trade of ability score adjustments? Seem quite on par, tbh.

Has anyone made experience with LA +0 Hobgoblins in play?

Firechanter
2014-04-18, 06:53 AM
Personally, I use the PF Racial Adjustments in my 3.5 games, so basically an extra +2 Stat for all Core races, which makes Hobgoblins fit in just fine.

But yeah, in a pinch, the Hobbo may also be okay as LA0 race in a regular 3.5 game. I fully agree that the bonuses are not worth losing a level.

If you're worried the double stat bonus with no penalty may be a bit too much, you could impose a minor non-stat penalty on them, such as a -1 to Will saves or so ("Hobgoblins are drilled to follow orders, not question them").