PDA

View Full Version : Grapple->Juggle Boss

DrKerosene
2014-04-18, 08:00 AM
So, I'm trying to build a monster that can Grapple ("attack") multiple times per round, using Improved Grab (at -20) to hold a couple N/PCs, and (the hard part) "Juggle" them.

Originally it was less "Juggle" and more "Grab then throw into the air and bite attack or swallow whole while falling", with the idea of using Improved Grab to hold the target in it's mouth if it's not killed.

I've been contemplating several options, but I'm not satisfied with the potential results, so here's where I'm at:

Preferably:
-At least Large Sized (considering an advanced Choker)
-Multi-Limbed (Multi-attack feat)
-Natural Bite attack
-Voidmind (+5ft reach and "independent" tentacle)
-Improved Grab

Maybe:
-Throw Boulder (and Improved), Fling Enemy
-Extra limb/reach Grafts
-1-2 levels of some kind of Monk for Imp. Grapple
-Combat Reflexes if there's a positive DEX Modifier
-Martial Maneuvers (Setting Sun Throws, maybe White Raven Tactics*)
-And, Plant templates+Symbiotic template+Boggle? (MM2) with feat changes. From http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1115871

Any successful attack would result in a free Grapple attempt, the second/last attack in a full attack routine would be to throw a creature straight up, then use an extra standard action (hence Choker/White Raven Tactics) to "Ready" a Bite attack for when the creature falls into range.

I'm concerned about being able to reliably throw a creature/character high enough that they won't hit the ground immediately under normal circumstances.
I'm also not sure if the -20 to Grapple would require Huge-Gargantuan size.

I've considered multiple initiatives and/or breaking up how many actions can happen at a time. I've also thought about making the boss large enough to count as terrain and go more "Shadows of the Colossus" about it, but I dislike the "auto-lose grapple checks with more than 2 size categorize of difference" thing at that size level.

In any case, I'd like to hear any experience with this, or comments/criticisms.