PDA

View Full Version : Popping Mirror Images

Pathagaron
2014-04-18, 09:04 AM
Mirror Image strikes me as a potent defensive spell. My questions for the playground are the following:

1) The interaction between MI and AoE spells (like fireball) is that each image reacts as if being hit by the blast so none of them are 'popped'. Does MI react similarly to a spell that targets each of the images simultaneously? (I.e. Does CL 9 magic missile with 5 missiles take out all 4 images on a caster with 4 images, or does each image just act like it was hit by a missile and so none of them pop?)

2) How do targeted spells (allied or enemy) work on a MI'ed character? (I.e. Would you have to target each image with haste in order to buff your buddy or would he just count as one? Also, would you have to roll a miss chance if you instead cast dominate person, for example?)

Yanisa
2014-04-18, 09:20 AM
Relevant quote: (Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorImage.htm))

Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it. An image’s AC is 10 + your size modifier + your Dex modifier. Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball).

1) The spell itself says fireballs don't destroy an image and imply the spell continues even after the caster died. It also says a direct hit will destroy an image. So I guess a magic missile would work.

2) Like the spell suggest, just roll random. Allies probably threat you and the mirror images as one person, but to an enemy it will look like the cleric just casted mass bless because the spell effects all images. The spell makes it clear that mirror image only works against enemies.

Cloud
2014-04-18, 09:21 AM
1a) Mirror image is pretty clear with how it interacts with area of effect spells. All the images behave like they got hit exactly like you would. An area spell doesn't target you or individual images so none of them are popped.
1b) Magic missile is NOT an AoE spell, it is a spell that can strike several targets. Each missile can strike a different target, and yes this makes it quite effective against mirror image.

2) Allies aren't subjected to the effects of mirror image, they can target you just fine with say haste; since your images move like you do they'd also appear hasted. An enemy attempting to use a targeted spell on you, (which in your example dominate person is) would have to roll to determine which target he hit. Because it's not an attack it wouldn't pop the image if it targeted an image.

Crake
2014-04-18, 09:37 AM
if you think mirror image is good, check out greater mirror image. Immediate action, and a new image every round, so long as at least 1 image is left.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-18, 10:48 AM
if you think mirror image is good, check out greater mirror image. Immediate action, and a new image every round, so long as at least 1 image is left.

Also, from PF, symbol of mirroring (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/symbol-of-mirroring) is awesome with False Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/false-focus). Free 50% miss chance for everyone. Very nice when you have a buff round; Touch the symbol to activate it, then shove it into your haversack (or destroy it) before enemies can enter the 60ft radius.

ericgrau
2014-04-18, 10:58 AM
Multi-target spells are the way to pop them ya, besides hitting the real target. Besides magic missile there's scorching ray and mass whatever. Also full attacks. The images reshuffle on the creature's turn, so if you're trying to pop images after someone has already hit the real one but before the creature's turn, you could intentionally avoid the real target. Or if you have a single target ability you could likewise go for the real one only. Or you can make targeting decisions in the middle of a full attack, so if you get the real one part way through you might focus all your remaining attacks on it. Or focus your higher attack bonus attacks on the real one, but your 3rd and 4th attack on images, since images have a much lower AC.

Yerltvachovicic
2014-04-18, 11:56 AM
Actually the target of Magic Missile is "creature", so I do not think mirror copies are valid targets, which also means full damage is done to real target, ignoring miss chances and illusion images.

Pathagaron
2014-04-18, 12:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the clarification.

Actually the target of Magic Missile is "creature", so I do not think mirror copies are valid targets, which also means full damage is done to real target, ignoring miss chances and illusion images.

This sounds like a bit of a stretch. YOU think the images are valid targets, even if they aren't.

Or you can make targeting decisions in the middle of a full attack, so if you get the real one part way through you might focus all your remaining attacks on it. Or focus your higher attack bonus attacks on the real one, but your 3rd and 4th attack on images, since images have a much lower AC.

Hmm... I hadn't considered that option.

@slipperychicken- I was referring to 3.5, but thanks for the advice.

@Crake- I have indeed heard of Greater MI. My most recent character was a beguiler.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-18, 12:57 PM
@slipperychicken- I was referring to 3.5, but thanks for the advice.

No problem. For future reference, if you're only looking for 3.5 stuff, try to put the 3.5 tag on your thread.

Seerow
2014-04-18, 01:00 PM
No problem. For future reference, if you're only looking for 3.5 stuff, try to put the 3.5 tag on your thread.

There actually isn't a 3.5 tag in this forum. 3.5 is the assumed default. A 3.0 and Pathfinder tag are provided for if you are looking for one of those things.