PDA

View Full Version : "Potion of Physical and Mental Perfection"

Duboris
2014-04-18, 12:43 PM
What CL would an Alchemist need to brew a potion With Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle Splendor, Owl's Wisdom, Bear's Endurance, and Fox's cunning all in one single potion.

Is this even possible, because if we're adding +2 for every single extra bonus, then they would need a caster level of around 14 or 16, correct?

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-18, 05:14 PM
There is a spell for this. I can't remember what the name is, but it adds +2 to each stat. I think there is a greater version that adds +4.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-18, 05:19 PM
You could theoretically just mix 'em all into one massive potion that'd take a little more than half a minute to drink and would risk a lot of potion miscibility. If you went that route, you'd only need a caster level of three.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-18, 05:19 PM
The physical version of this is animalistic power (PHB2) - it gives +2 to all physical stats, and there is no greater version.

I'm trying to find the mental version, but I can't find it readily.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-18, 05:25 PM
What CL would an Alchemist need to brew a potion With Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle Splendor, Owl's Wisdom, Bear's Endurance, and Fox's cunning all in one single potion.

Is this even possible, because if we're adding +2 for every single extra bonus, then they would need a caster level of around 14 or 16, correct?

ah sorry finally found it:

Chasing perfection (PHB2) - a 6th level spell to most full casters. It does everything you want in the exact same enhancement bonus restriction.
The only issue is getting it in potion form, since its a lvl 6 spell. It also has a costly material component. I'll crunch the numbers on how much a single activation will cost, and if you can even make a potion for it.

Zaq
2014-04-18, 05:26 PM
There is a spell for this. I can't remember what the name is, but it adds +2 to each stat. I think there is a greater version that adds +4.

You may be thinking of Augment Truefriend, which gives +2 to STR/DEX/CON, though of course it has some issues (namely that it's a Truename spell that requires personal Truenames).

Animal Affinity is a psionic power that gives you a +4 to any one of the six stats, but it's personal, so you can't put it on an ally (or make it into a potion/tattoo) without shenanigans. It even lets you augment it to apply bonuses to multiple scores at once, but it takes a whopping FIVE extra points for each additional score, which is kind of excessive if you ask me. If we were going to base this off of that, it'd be something insane like CL (ML) 28! That's clearly unreasonable, but it's the closest RAW thing I can think of offhand, short of the Belt of Magnificence (or whatever the hell the name is—the belt that boosts all your ability scores).

NoACWarrior
2014-04-18, 05:32 PM
OK, so you can't make a potion from "Chasing perfection" because its a lvl 6 spell and potions are limited to lvl 3 spells.

But you could make a single use - use activated magical item which emulates the spell, or a single use - command word magical item which also emulates the spell.

The cost for a single use - use activated (anyone can use so long as they spend the standard action) chasing perfection emulating magic item (at caster level 11) is 1320+50 or 264+50 if you go 1/day limited as well.
The cost for a single use - command word (anyone who says the command word and spends the standard action) chasing perfection emulating magic item (at caster level 11) is 1188+50 or 237.6+50 if you go 1/day limited as well.

The +50 is for the material component required for every use.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-18, 05:52 PM
I think I'm doing something wrong with my math. Wouldn't single-use, use activated for a 6th level item at caster level 11 be more like 3300 gp (before adding the extra 50 gp).

NoACWarrior
2014-04-18, 06:26 PM
I think I'm doing something wrong with my math. Wouldn't single-use, use activated for a 6th level item at caster level 11 be more like 3300 gp (before adding the extra 50 gp).

It depends on how you get to the single charge - infinite use activated items are considered to be 100 charges of cost, to make a 50 charge use activated item you "normally" half the cost, then divide by 50 to get the price for a single charge.

So 6 SL * 11 CL * 2000 gp / 2 (to make 50 charges) / 50 (for the price for 1 charge) = 1320 gp

If you don't think a charged (50 charge) version is worth 50% of an infinite use activated item then simply change the multiplier to whatever you feel is fair (do not go below 0.5 though, its open to abuse) like 0.75. But certainly a 1:1 isn't a fair price for charged vs infinite.

Zaq
2014-04-23, 03:17 PM
It depends on how you get to the single charge - infinite use activated items are considered to be 100 charges of cost, to make a 50 charge use activated item you "normally" half the cost, then divide by 50 to get the price for a single charge.

So 6 SL * 11 CL * 2000 gp / 2 (to make 50 charges) / 50 (for the price for 1 charge) = 1320 gp

If you don't think a charged (50 charge) version is worth 50% of an infinite use activated item then simply change the multiplier to whatever you feel is fair (do not go below 0.5 though, its open to abuse) like 0.75. But certainly a 1:1 isn't a fair price for charged vs infinite.

To be fair, Eternal Wands cost about as much as normal wands. (1st level ones cost slightly more, while 2nd and 3rd level ones cost slightly less.) Their primary limit is per-day, of course, so that's something you need to take into consideration.

For once-daily spell effects of higher-level spells, Minor Schemas (Magic of Eberron pg. 122) are the go-to items, but they're like scrolls in that not just anyone can use them. For consumable spell effects of higher-level spells that are usable by anyone (like potions), Skull Talismans (Frostburn pg. 47/112) are the go-to items.