PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [PF] Building races for a homebrew setting

Silus
2014-04-18, 04:16 PM
So I've this homebrew world *Points at signature* and I'm trying to expand the types of races there are, seeing as I kiiiiiinda gimped myself with how the world was initially set up. Anyway, I'm expanding into Monsterous Humanoid races and trying to construct player-viable, 10RP races and would like some feedback.

Lesser Centaur (City)
Monstrous Humanoid (3RP)
Darkvision 60ft
Medium (0RP)
Normal Speed (0RP)
Advanced Ability Spread (4RP)
+2 Strength, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence
Standard Language (0RP)
Common, Centaur
Stability (1RP)
+4 Racial bonus vs Bull Rush or Trip
Fast (1RP)
+10 base speed
Weapon Familiarity (1RP)
Musket, Bastard Sword

10RP

Lesser Harpy

Monstrous Humanoid (3RP)
Darkvision 60ft
Medium (0RP)
Normal Speed (0RP)
Standard Ability spread (1RP)
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con
Standard (0RP)
Common, Harpy
Flight (4RP)
Fly Speed 30, clumsy maneuverability
Skill Training (1RP)
Fly and Acrobatics
Natural Attack (1RP)
Talons

10RP

Gonna get started on an Arachne, but these are the two that I have currently. Feedback and suggestions would be wonderful.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-18, 06:11 PM
I'd give the harpy a bonus to preform: song perhaps, but otherwise it mostly fits.
The centaur, however, doesn't feel very, well, centaur like. Nothing about it really says anything to me about one.
I'd have them use small weapons, since a centaur's limbs and human torso will be much smaller in relation to its legs compared to a humanoid. I would give them the ability to use Mounted Combat feats as if mounted, but that may not fit your world since you gave them familiarity with muskets and bastard swords. I'd make them quadrupedal, because they are. Give them a hoof attack as well, though that could count as medium. In return, maybe tone down the ability scores a little. +2Wisdom, +2 Strength -2 Intelligence could work, depending on what you're trying to focus on.

Silus
2014-04-18, 06:29 PM
I'd give the harpy a bonus to preform: song perhaps, but otherwise it mostly fits.
The centaur, however, doesn't feel very, well, centaur like. Nothing about it really says anything to me about one.
I'd have them use small weapons, since a centaur's limbs and human torso will be much smaller in relation to its legs compared to a humanoid. I would give them the ability to use Mounted Combat feats as if mounted, but that may not fit your world since you gave them familiarity with muskets and bastard swords. I'd make them quadrupedal, because they are. Give them a hoof attack as well, though that could count as medium. In return, maybe tone down the ability scores a little. +2Wisdom, +2 Strength -2 Intelligence could work, depending on what you're trying to focus on.

I actually didn't see Quadruped when I was building the race. I'll see about going back and retooling them.

Edit: I suppose since I'm the DM I can fudge some the prerequisites for things? Quadruped requires Large size, which I can't really swing with this build. I mean, I could swing it, but the race would hit the 11-20 bracket.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-18, 06:47 PM
I actually didn't see Quadruped when I was building the race. I'll see about going back and retooling them.

Edit: I suppose since I'm the DM I can fudge some the prerequisites for things? Quadruped requires Large size, which I can't really swing with this build. I mean, I could swing it, but the race would hit the 11-20 bracket.
The ARG, in my opinion, is a huge mess as far as its purpose of making races is concerned. Just wing it. Live dangerously.

Silus
2014-04-18, 06:55 PM
The ARG, in my opinion, is a huge mess as far as its purpose of making races is concerned. Just wing it. Live dangerously.

Well here's the current retooling:

Lesser Centaur (City)
Monstrous Humanoid (3RP)
Darkvision 60ft
Large (7RP)
+2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 AC, -1 Attack, +1CMD, -4 Stealth
Normal Speed (0RP)
Standard Ability Spread (0RP)
+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence
Standard Language (0RP)
Common, Centaur
Quadruped (2RP)
+4 racial CMD vs trip, +10ft base speed, wield Medium weapons
Weapon Familiarity (1RP)
Musket, Bastard Sword
Natural Attack (1RP)
Hoof (Counts as Medium)

14RP

Ravens_cry
2014-04-18, 07:03 PM
They don't need to be large. Heck, I'd rule large is a disadvantage, especially if they don't get reach, which, logically, they shouldn't unless they have super long arms.

brandnewb
2014-04-18, 11:05 PM
I made this 10RP race. Turtlefolk (http://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/1yi3ow/may_i_present_turtlefolk_thoughts/) it is fun.

I like you races, it would be fun to be a Centaur.

I would just be careful because it is almost too awesome. The strength of a large size PC with +10 movement speed, dark vision and hoof attacks for an overrun. I can't think of why you would not want to play him. It is so good.

Even just Large size 7 pts, Quadruped 2 pts and Hoof attack 1 pt would be sweet. And that totals 10pts.

Silus
2014-04-19, 06:33 AM
I made this 10RP race. Turtlefolk (http://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/1yi3ow/may_i_present_turtlefolk_thoughts/) it is fun.

I like you races, it would be fun to be a Centaur.

I would just be careful because it is almost too awesome. The strength of a large size PC with +10 movement speed, dark vision and hoof attacks for an overrun. I can't think of why you would not want to play him. It is so good.

Even just Large size 7 pts, Quadruped 2 pts and Hoof attack 1 pt would be sweet. And that totals 10pts.

Actually this is the current build. It's taking into account quite a bit of DM fudging on the pre-reqs on Quadruped though (Explaining it as the lower half being a Pony instead of a proper horse).

Lesser Centaur (City)
Monstrous Humanoid (3RP)
Darkvision 60ft
Medium (0RP)
Normal Speed (0RP)
Standard Ability Spread (0RP)
+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence
Standard Language (0RP)
Common, Centaur
Powerful Charge (2RP)
Fast (1RP)
+10ft base speed