PDA

View Full Version : It takes a village to raise a PC (note: not a PC origin story!)

atemu1234
2014-04-18, 08:51 PM
I'm working on a Diopsid village for the PCs to visit while they're in the underdark, and I have a few questions.

1. How big should the village be? I don't want to make a ton of NPCs, but I want it to have the appearance of a clan.
2. How should they interact with the PCs? With the personalities given to the Diopsid in dragon compendium, I'm thinking they'll honor them, but that's just a guideline.
3. How should they interact with other villages? I'm thinking they trade with the nearby Githerzai and Githyanki (I homebrewed this. There's a githyanki and a githerzai nation in the underdark apiece, rather than planes or the like).

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-19, 10:33 AM
Are the Diopsid described anywhere besides the Dragon Compendium or a Dragon Magazine?

atemu1234
2014-04-19, 10:57 AM
Not as far as I know, no.

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-19, 12:55 PM
About a dozen combatants and half again as many non-combatants seems right for a clan. They seem like they would treat strangers very well, just like a store owner would treat a potential buyer, trying to be charming and pleasing, but not giving anything away for free.

VoxRationis
2014-04-19, 03:17 PM
30 people is a very small clan in the technical sense of the word.

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-19, 04:56 PM
Aren't clans measured by how many elbows there are? 120 elbows is plenty!

drack
2014-04-19, 06:59 PM
30 people is a very small clan in the technical sense of the word.

30 can be fine for a clan. Hechk a small clan could probably have closser to 10-20 expecially if there's fluff of many recent deaths. Still ass GM you're not RPing all of them, so make up 6 that stand out to the PCs, and have the rest just be a general number that you tell the PCs