PDA

View Full Version : Proposing a fix to the dreaded truenamer...

atemu1234
2014-04-18, 09:25 PM
I'm probably going to get some hate for this, but if at all possible, can you not comment on how everyone's trying to fix everything and just my proposed fix and your ideas related to it? I'm not trying to be a post-nazi, I just want a simple answer or help if it's that bad.

The main problem I've gotten from everyone is that the check increases by 2 when you increase the bonus by 1, tops. Now, this is a huge problem, and it makes the class nigh-unplayable, but what if we changed that.

Instead of CRx2, you could do CR + 10 for non-epic monsters and +20 for epic monsters. This'd maintain a level of playability but also difficulty. We don't want it too easy, or it's broken. We don't want it to hard, or it's unplayable. Any thoughts?

eggynack
2014-04-18, 09:31 PM
The main problem I've gotten from everyone is that the check increases by 2 when you increase the bonus by 1, tops. Now, this is a huge problem, and it makes the class nigh-unplayable, but what if we changed that.

Instead of CRx2, you could do CR + 10 for non-epic monsters and +20 for epic monsters. This'd maintain a level of playability but also difficulty. We don't want it too easy, or it's broken. We don't want it to hard, or it's unplayable. Any thoughts?
That's not really the biggest problem with the system. If you completely eliminated all checks, and kept everything else the same, you'd end up with a tier four class, something like a warlock. The real issues are the law of sequence, which has silly impacts on your ability to use your utterances, and the utterances themselves, which are by and large quite underwhelming. Really, you need to change the system at a fundamental level to fix things. Fixes exist, however, like Kyeudo's truenamer fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?120488-Truenamer-Fix-PEACH), so that's probably a good place to start, and quite possibly a good place to end.

Kennisiou
2014-04-18, 10:23 PM
Yeah, not hitting DCs with a skill check is basically never a problem for any class. See: diplomancer, Jumplomancer, Intimidation-based fear users, Sneaks etc. The biggest problem most skills/skill-based classes isn't "I can't get my numbers high enough" it's "no matter how high I get these numbers nothing I do matters," and that's kind of where the truenamer suffers (I say "kind of" because being a tier 4 support class isn't a bad place to be in the grand scheme of things). Even with fringe skills like truenaming there are tons of ways to pump your skill checks to absurd levels very fast, and the class's access to UMD ensures that they can pretty much use all of them. Like Eggy said, fixing the numbers output truenamers get on their rolls is the least important part of any truenaming fix. The most important part is making the utterances fall more in line with the power levels you want, whether that's bringing their support abilities up to the likes that the t3 classes like bard, crusader, or warblade have access to or making the truenamer into the swiss army knife of caster potential that most t2 and t1 classes are.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-18, 10:44 PM
It's a start. (Though why the sudden jump for epic monsters?) I'd also do something about the Laws... at the very least, you should change whichever one it is that states that you can only have one iteration of an utterance active at a time. Either remove it altogether, or limit it to one version of an utterance/target.