PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Halfling Shortblade (exotic weapon)

Soarel
2014-04-18, 11:33 PM
While rolling up a halfling fighter the other day an idea for an exotic weapon sprung to my mind. Think of it like the halflings' version of an elven curve blade, or more pragmatically, as a combination rapier/shortsword.

Halfling Shortblade

Exotic Weapon

One-handed Melee Weapon

Weight: 2 lbs

Type: Slashing

DMG: 1d6 (see special)

Crit: 18-20/x2

Special: This weapon is compatible with the Weapon Finesse feat. A Small character gets a +3 to Combat Maneuver Bonus when using this weapon. When used by a Medium or larger creature, this weapon is treated as if that character is not proficient with it.

Fluff: A Halfling Shortblade has a hilt similar to that of a rapier, and a blade like that of a dagger or short sword. The first Halfling Shortblade was designed by a nameless halfling adventurer who sought to overcome his small size. Basing the design of his weapon on a combination of rapier and short sword, he created a unique weapon. This design spread across the world through word of mouth, and any blacksmith who lives in a town with a sizable population of halflings is likely to own one.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-18, 11:35 PM
So it's, what, a rapier with a damage die one step larger than normal? Not worth the feat for an exotic weapon. Not even close. Give it some sort of special ability, perhaps.

Soarel
2014-04-18, 11:37 PM
So it's, what, a rapier with a damage die one step larger than normal? Not worth the feat for an exotic weapon. Not even close. Give it some sort of special ability, perhaps.

Actually, I forgot to mention the damage type. Also, it cannot be used properly by anyone larger than Small size. That's its special ability. It originally had a CMB bonus but I removed it for being too OP.

Amnoriath
2014-04-18, 11:38 PM
1. You don't have a weight class on it
2. This is basically a small elven thinblade except if you would become bigger you lose proficiency with it.

Soarel
2014-04-18, 11:40 PM
1. You don't have a weight class on it
2. This is basically a small elven thinblade except if you would become bigger you lose proficiency with it.

I added the weight class in an edit. Also, this thing is a godsend for halfling melee characters. I've playtested the thing.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-19, 12:17 AM
Actually, I forgot to mention the damage type. Also, it cannot be used properly by anyone larger than Small size. That's its special ability. It originally had a CMB bonus but I removed it for being too OP.
That's not a special ability, that's a special restriction. Go ahead and add the CMB bonus back-- remember, you probably have to spend a feat to use this weapon, and +1 damage (on average) alone isn't worth one of your precious feat slots.

Seerow
2014-04-19, 12:19 AM
I added the weight class in an edit. Also, this thing is a godsend for halfling melee characters. I've playtested the thing.

But like he mentioned what you wrote literally already exists in 3.5 (The Elven Thinblade). It -might- be piercing instead of slashing damage (I don't remember offhand the Thinblade's damage type), but that matters to basically nobody ever anyway.

Your 'unique property' is literally just a restriction that screws the character if they change size categories for no reason. Not a benefit, and certainly not anything worth spending the feat on.

Soarel
2014-04-19, 01:34 AM
That's not a special ability, that's a special restriction. Go ahead and add the CMB bonus back-- remember, you probably have to spend a feat to use this weapon, and +1 damage (on average) alone isn't worth one of your precious feat slots.

If you're a halfling (at least in Pathfinder) you have automatic proficiency with it because of the name. Also, I'm adding the CMB bonus back.

Amnoriath
2014-04-19, 11:47 AM

1. You forgot the more important thing. Is it light, one-handed, or two handed?
2. The CMB makes it better. You should work in a style feat that allows to affect bigger opponents with combat maneuvers as well as better resist them.

Soarel
2014-04-19, 02:52 PM
1. You forgot the more important thing. Is it light, one-handed, or two handed?
2. The CMB makes it better. You should work in a style feat that allows to affect bigger opponents with combat maneuvers as well as better resist them.

It's one-handed. That style feat would complicate things, since the purpose of the weapon is basically to give halflings a weapon for melee.

Amnoriath
2014-04-19, 05:29 PM
That style feat would complicate things, since the purpose of the weapon is basically to give halflings a weapon for melee.
How would it complicate things?:smallconfused: You are not taking away anything from the blade, and you are bringing in some much needed small folk foiling the big monsters flavor. So, either you can choose to have it or not. There isn't any complication other than making a little more material.