PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Seeking advice : A half-elf barbarian

ProudGrognard
2014-04-19, 01:32 AM
Greetings,

though I consider myself to have experience in PF, I have never played a barbarian. I would thus like to see how I can give the class a swing. After reading multiple guides, I see that the optimization consensus is of playing a Human or a Half Orc (dwarf being a close second), with Syperstitions, Totem and the like.

However, I am not interested in playing an 'optimized' barbarian. I would rather play something more unusual. I was thinking of a 'wilderness warrior' type barbarian, who is tough as nails after having lived self-sufficiently for a while, and who just wades into the melee and keeps on going. I would also like, however, for his toughness to be both mental and physical. Coupled with the above, I have a liking for twists: Unusual race-class combinations, breaking of stereotypes and so on.

So, I initially thought of dwarves. The Hardy ability+Steel Soul feat seems to go a long way against spells. But I have a disliking to playing dwarves, for some reason.
And then, I thought of half-elves. They get a +2 against enchantment, where most of the mental-affecting spells are. And they can get a +2 from Dual-minded, which also stacks with Iron Will. This, coupled with Second Chance I think make for a good mental shield. Plus, their bonus to Perception is nice for an alert outdoorsman.

As for the rest, I am thinking Two-handed Invulnerable Rager, with Str>Con>Dex. For Rage Power, I am thinking Guarded Life and other Life Preserving powers. For feats, Power Attack, Brutal Throw and perhaps Furious Focus.

How do the above seem? Is Raging Vitality worth it, for example? Is my obsession with Brutal Throw - and thus with a javelin throwing barbarian to offset melee one-trick-ponying , worth it?