PDA

View Full Version : PC Vampirism

psilontech
2007-02-08, 01:24 PM
In a recent campaign, my changeling rogue4/Dread Necromancer1 (The dread necromancer level was needed for something, I know it isn't exactly 'optimized' ;)) and group faced a vampire, which was, in short, insanely awesome. At one point he had used dominate person to 'convince' her that she was a vampire as well (she barely scraped by the will save and bluffed her way through, him thinking she was dominated) and she thought that to be incredibly cool. This being an evil campaign, and her being fairly power hungry, I am thinking about somehow attempting to have her turn into a vampire (None of that vampire spawn bs either).

So, the first problem would be maintaining free will once she had been turned. I was thinking some sort of bargain once she had found an acceptable 'master' in which she would negotiate for freedom once she had risen. Something like a large lump-sum 'donation' with small tributes for a while after. As well as a "Get out of us killing you free" Card. Or something like that, any suggestions?

The second problem would be limitations posed by being a vampire. Being a changeling, hiding my vampirism wouldn't be much of a problem (I mean, I have a +32 discise (sp?) check!(yay magic items)). The lack of ability to enter certain buildings without permission and crossing running water might pose a small hinderance, but shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it? But the main problem I need to find a solution to is not being able to go outside during the day.
Now, the rules aren't very specific on this, but does it have to be direct sunlight that harms the vampire, or can it be outside during the day in the shade of a structure? I'm thinking about obtaining some sort of magical item that could counteract the effects of the sun on my vampire (obviously attempting this before turning, as it could arise some suspicion). I'm not sure what kind of item could do this, possibly some sort of modified darkness spell cast on the item (probably a ring). I'll make up some sort of bs story about how either it's part of some form of experement or someone put some form of curse on me in which the sun hurts me or something. Any ideas on either the item needed, a lie to tell to buy or get it made, or a way of obtaining it from someone who wouldn't mind possibly helping out a vampire? Any suggestions would be appriciated!
Thanks!

Santanya
2007-02-08, 01:26 PM
You actually have a very simple reason for such a ring. You're a rogue.

"It helps me hide"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-08, 01:33 PM
Or, just use a parasol or something.

Caelestion
2007-02-08, 01:33 PM
It is specfically direct sunlight. Neither daylight nor daylight affect you and you can even enjoy bright shafts of sunlight provided that you don't stand in them.

Khantalas
2007-02-08, 01:36 PM
Cloak of dark power (?) from FRCS is a good, 1st level spell. It is normally designed to protect drow eyes from the sunlight. However, it "blocks the effects of full sunlight". Even destruction of vampires.

However, it is FRCS, and needs a drow to make an item for it with you. If you can get such an item in some way (such as a cloak that continuously grants you the effects of the spell), the DMG estimates its cost to be around 4,000 gp.

For a drow, that means a feat, for a vampire, that means YOWZA!

Yes, protection from sunlight for vampires at a mere sum of 4,000 gp. Revel in munchkin-ism.

psilontech
2007-02-08, 01:38 PM
The only problem I'm seeing with the item I was thinking of would be:
1: Seeing
2: Direct Sunlight's effects on the darkness spell and if it could stop the many d6's worth of fire and holy damage coming my way. ^_^ heh

I am suddenly reminded of that ring from buffy the vampire slayer that made it so that a vampire could go into the sun and not go 'poof!'. But I don't know what it was called, any idea? Hmm... thanks for the info, guys. :)

Edit: Wow, Thanks Khantalas! You posted while I was typing. An extremely useful item there! Now, all I need to do is get my hands on one... /rubs hands together, evil laugh/ :D

Tormsskull
2007-02-08, 01:40 PM
I'm going to throw the obligatory "Check with your DM" line in here. That because a DM is hardly likely to allow your character to become a vampire without balancing it in some way. I seem to recall that vampires have a hefty level adjustment. If you talk with your DM and explain your interest he might let you have some kind of a mini-me version of the vampire, or more likely, will tell you its a bad idea.

Khantalas
2007-02-08, 01:41 PM
Ah! A ring of cloak of dark power!

PinkysBrain
2007-02-08, 01:42 PM
An area of magical darkness centered exactly on yourself isn't a very good tool to hide.

Not all DMs would allow darkness type effects to block sunlight for purposes of protecting vampires. I personally would, but you have an insanely short time period to escape death if your protection fails.

After she has a master she is out of bargaining chips ... I wouldn't plan on the vampire's cooperation too much unless you know for a fact he is LE and you can make a deal with him beforehand.

Personally I would rely on force ... is that original vampire you mention still alive?

Also, vampirism represents a big boost for a couple of levels ... but after a while you are going to start lagging behind heavily in hitpoints/BAB/saves because you won't be leveling. In the end the most powerful ability of a vampire is his ability to control other vampires, you will have to start enslaving and using other people rather than fight yourself. Since you took a class which is all about self reliance is that what you really want?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-08, 03:34 PM
Liber Mortis has an Endure Sunlight feat.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-08, 03:37 PM
I am suddenly reminded of that ring from buffy the vampire slayer that made it so that a vampire could go into the sun and not go 'poof!'. But I don't know what it was called, any idea? Hmm... thanks for the info, guys. :)

You're thinking of the Gem of Amara.

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-08, 03:49 PM
On the subject of actually becoming a free willed vampire. I don't see any reason why you couldn't research a ritual or make a prestige class that culminates in you offering up your soul for "eternal" power and just gaining the template. the prestige class would have it happen slowly the ritual would be a one shot thing. but then you would have to let your xp catch up with your new ECL before you could advance.

YPU
2007-02-08, 03:55 PM
On the subject of actually becoming a free willed vampire. I don't see any reason why you couldn't research a ritual or make a prestige class that culminates in you offering up your soul for "eternal" power and just gaining the template. the prestige class would have it happen slowly the ritual would be a one shot thing. but then you would have to let your xp catch up with your new ECL before you could advance.
Vampire version of dragon disciple? Sounds just as plausible. Endure sunlight works for 1+cha modifier, that would be just enough time to dodge from shadow to shadow, spring attack would be useful I think.

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-08, 03:59 PM
Vampire version of dragon disciple? Sounds just as plausible.

yeah that is what I was thinking and would base it on.

Mikal
2007-02-08, 03:59 PM

If you actually go for Vampire, check out this template http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a . Gets rid of a lot of the nasty weaknesses of the regular vampire, and fits right up your alley. I'm actually playing one of these as a swordsage in a Gestalt campaign (Gestalt aqllowing me to dump the LA for the template very neatly aside)

Dark Knight Renee
2007-02-08, 09:42 PM
The best Vampire protection I know of is a spell in one of the FR books (lords of darkness, I think), called Night's Mantle. The only problem with the spell is that you have to find a cleric willing to make an item of it for you (continuous, preferably), since it is a self only spell that, as I recal, isn't available to arcane casters. If that isn't a problem, congrats, you're immune to sunlight.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-09, 05:09 AM
If you actually go for Vampire, check out this template http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a . Gets rid of a lot of the nasty weaknesses of the regular vampire, and fits right up your alley. I'm actually playing one of these as a swordsage in a Gestalt campaign (Gestalt aqllowing me to dump the LA for the template very neatly aside)

Ah yes, the old Hammer Horror Dracula template. Or the "I can always come back for sequels" template.