PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Polymorph with breath weapon

Myrddin0001
2014-04-19, 09:18 AM
polymorph states:
"The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form (such as constrict, improved grab, and poison) but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form (such as blindsense, fast healing, regeneration, and scent) or any supernatural or spell-like abilities."
and the entry for things with breath weapons, such as ambush drake or pyro/cryo-hydra, put the breath weapon as a special attack with nothing in its desciption about being a supernatural ability. however, I keep running across forum posts on the subject and the consensus is "you dont gain breath weapons cause they're supernatural abilities." What am I missing? I cant find anything in the monster entry or the polymorph rules that say you dont gain them.

atemu1234
2014-04-19, 09:20 AM
Under the description for dragons, they're listed as supernatural. You don't gain supernatural abilities under polymorph. Does this clear up any confusion?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-19, 09:24 AM
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#breathWeapon):

Breath weapons are supernatural abilities except where noted.

Myrddin0001
2014-04-19, 09:26 AM
Ah so the answer lies under the true dragon entry? I looked at those too and I dont see it :-/

Myrddin0001
2014-04-19, 09:29 AM
Oh wait I found it on the WoTC glossary. All breath weapons are supernatural unless noted. Thank you sir!