PDA

View Full Version : what is your favorite magic item and what does it do

equinoxmaster
2014-04-19, 10:47 AM
what is your favorite magic item and what does it do :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::s mallsmile::smallsmile:

slaydemons
2014-04-19, 10:48 AM
Are we talking custom made magic items or are we talking ones in some books?

equinoxmaster
2014-04-19, 10:49 AM
any magic item at all!!!

Zanos
2014-04-19, 10:52 AM
For lower levels, the healing belt is dirt cheap and gives you a decent amount of daily healing so that you don't have to pester your cleric to blow all his spell slots on cures. For higher levels, the belt of battle is great because it increases initiative and gives you extra-actions, which you can't really beat.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-19, 10:53 AM
i like the chronocharm of the uncaring archmage and the gloves of the starry sky

slaydemons
2014-04-19, 10:54 AM
My favorite has been a custom made cursed sword, when you unsheathed it you would be blinded by a uncontrollable rage but you would gain a fire shield which damages nearby enemies, and because you are in a frenzy like rage everyone is your enemy

equinoxmaster
2014-04-19, 10:57 AM
my brother has a +3 intelligent lawful good greataxe that says "SMITE THE UNHOLY" and one of my friends has a intelligent ring of telekinesis that says "what are we going to do now"

equinoxmaster
2014-04-19, 11:02 AM
do you or any of your friends characters have intelligent items

Crake
2014-04-19, 11:04 AM
My favourite magical item is a pair of headbands that send all physical sensations you feel to the wearer of the other headband, delayed by a fraction of a second and partially diminished in intensity. The prototype, which was tested by one of my players who was a succubus, but it had no diminished returns on intensity, which quickly led to a feedback loop, where any sensation was immediately intensified until the subjects passed out from extacy. The headbands can also come with additional recievers, but not transmitters, which was also used during testing. Considering the player was a succubus, and that there was a certain spell involving black tentacles in use during the testing phase, you can guess the intended primary use of the item. :smalltongue:

equinoxmaster
2014-04-19, 11:06 AM
My favourite magical item is a pair of headbands that send all physical sensations you feel to the wearer of the other headband, delayed by a fraction of a second and partially diminished in intensity. The prototype, which was tested by one of my players who was a succubus, but it had no diminished returns on intensity, which quickly led to a feedback loop, where any sensation was immediately intensified until the subjects passed out from extacy. The headbands can also come with additional recievers, but not transmitters, which was also used during testing. Considering the player was a succubus, and that there was a certain spell involving black tentacles in use during the testing phase, you can guess the intended primary use of the item. :smalltongue:

I know what u used it for but i wish i didnt

atemu1234
2014-04-19, 11:08 AM
Quiver of Plenty from Dragon Compendium on a Half-Elf Multiclass Ranger-Scout with two levels of fighter, all buffing his ranged attacks. It gives him a limitless supply of (masterwork) arrows that can be cold iron or silvered and five times per day he can get adamantine arrows. It just doesn't stop being awesome.

Crake
2014-04-19, 11:09 AM
I know what u used it for but i wish i didnt

The market version was quite popular amongst couples, and sold like crazy, but the investors let the player keep the prototype. Since that player's character eventually become a demon lord of hedonism, they now use it to reward their subjects with a moment of pure pleasure before passing out.

atemu1234
2014-04-19, 11:09 AM

Well, there's some imagery that's going to be stuck in my head for a good long while. Great.

ace rooster
2014-04-19, 11:53 AM
I like eversmoking bottles, as they can completely change combat. At 5400gp they are reasonably cheap, and even at high levels they are still effective. The lyre of building is probably my next favorite, simply because it is possible to build a whole character around it. I had a bard who was part of a traveling circus, that would build an arena everywhere they went. He also did fortifications and the like when required, or even things like a well. The deck of illusions is always fun, if often ineffective.

I generally like items that enable you to do something strange that was impossible before, rather than making something easier or emulating a different class. I will still take the staples first though: haversack, magic weapon, ability boosters...

hymer
2014-04-19, 12:03 PM
haversack

Yes, extradimensional storage space is my favourite magic item.

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-19, 12:04 PM
Creepy Magic Helmet

Not that it did much honestly, all it basically did was screw with my character but it ended up making some interesting role play opportunities and had a ton of unintended consequences

It basically was a helmet that for lack of a better way to explain it gave the character a HUD that displayed life totals(green bars), had a kill counter and acted like the Ioun stone that made me not have to eat or drink anymore. Technically it was a cursed item so every time the kill counter exceeded my characters level (or if the character went unconscious) would cause a blind fury rage if i failed a will save*... not the sort of thing you want on a Paladin, but as it was cursed it could not be taken off.

It ended up funny because during quite a few situations the lack of being able to take it off (especially while being disarmed by city guards) lead to some awkward situations
Though once we hit our first undead and the "life gauges" read backwards it was all worth it. Plus oddly enough once an assassin tried to go invisible and i just chased her down using the life bar to guide me so that was pretty neat.

Would have never even been an issue, but the character was not a very smart man so tended to think one dimensionally, on top of that the fact that characters I create cant see alligators (due to a very poorly worded wish 15 years ago) it was a blast to play that character even with his magic helmet of irritation

* Will save was mentioned because through out the ENTIRE campaign my stupidly boosted will save paladin never and I mean NEVER rolled above a 4, which lead to a lot of problems, especially during the campaigns end where i actually failed a will save and was forced to run away through 3/4 of the fight... i never did make it back to the battle until like the last attack round, quite sad but funny as heck to me

Crake
2014-04-19, 12:12 PM
where i actually failed a will save and was forced to run away through 3/4 of the fight... i never did make it back to the battle until like the last attack round, quite sad but funny as heck to me

Run away? As in a fear effect? Like the kind paladins are immune to?

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-19, 12:24 PM
Run away? As in a fear effect? Like the kind paladins are immune to?

No more like "I command you to run away" from a spell effect, and me rolling a one on the dice and saying "yes mistress I shall run for you"

The DM was being kind, because normally it would have been an 'attack your party' sort of thing, but knowing I WAS going to fail the roll he just made me run away... Never in my life did I have such weird rolls consistently with a character.

Eldan
2014-04-19, 01:11 PM
Feather Token: Tree. It's a small token that grows into a giant oak tree in an instant. It's fantastic. So many applications.

slaydemons
2014-04-19, 01:33 PM
Feather Token: Tree. It's a small token that grows into a giant oak tree in an instant. It's fantastic. So many applications.

Like attaching it to an arrow and yelling tree mid shot so it keeps going and slams into someone?

SinsI
2014-04-19, 01:34 PM
For lower levels, the healing belt is dirt cheap and gives you a decent amount of daily healing so that you don't have to pester your cleric to blow all his spell slots on cures. For higher levels, the belt of battle is great because it increases initiative and gives you extra-actions, which you can't really beat.

Healing belt is too expensive. Command-activated custom item of Cure Minor wounds, restricted to your alignment/class provides near-unlimited amount of daily healing (equal to the number of rounds in a day) for a lower price.

nyjastul69
2014-04-19, 01:35 PM
If previous characters have anything at all to say about what my favorite magic item is, the say HHH.

mabriss lethe
2014-04-19, 03:16 PM
The Thorn Pouch from the MiC: For 4,400, it gets 5 charges per day that can be used to create Entangle, Spiked Growth or Wall of Thorns effects as a swift action. For the price and action economy, it's one of the best BFC items in print.

nyjastul69
2014-04-19, 03:21 PM
The Thorn Pouch from the MiC: For 4,400, it gets 5 charges per day that can be used to create Entangle, Spiked Growth or Wall of Thorns effects as a swift action. For the price and action economy, it's one of the best BFC items in print.

Wow! That's quite good. I never noticed that one before, but I don't actually own MIC. Does it occupy an item slot?

mabriss lethe
2014-04-19, 03:29 PM
Wow! That's quite good. I never noticed that one before, but I don't actually own MIC. Does it occupy an item slot?

Nope! It's fantastic.

Edit to add: Of course the charge cost scaled depending on which effect you choose. (entanglement 1 charge, spike growth 3, wall of thorns 5.) That's why I try to get a few of them.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-19, 03:41 PM
I've got a custom-made item that a DM approved for my artificer. It's a Shadow Cloak (from Drow Of The Underdark) combined with a Desert Wind Cloak (Tome of Battle, an alternative to the White Raven Crowns.)

Wind of the Desert Shadow: while wearing this cloak, a character may incorporate a detonation of fire on a struck enemy as if through the Death Mark maneuver once per encounter. The cloak also allows the wearer to choose between teleporting anywhere within line of sight and within ten feet or gaining concealment as an immediate mental reaction to being attacked three times per day.

It's a handy little toy. I had to pay fifty percent extra to also get the Death Mark effect onto the cloak since there was already the Shadow Cloak effect on it, but I think it was more than worth the cost.

Teapot Salty
2014-04-19, 03:44 PM
A homebrewed magic skull that grants the holder (if I remember correctly) +2str +2dex and +2cha.

Morrolan
2014-04-19, 04:05 PM
The Ring of Anticipation, which allows a reroll on initiative. Yes please!

Forrestfire
2014-04-19, 04:08 PM
There is no problem that cannot be solved with enough applications of Instant Tree.

Other than that, a Sharpie of Explosive Runes (with a cap that can cast Amanuensis) is another fun one. Eternal wands of either spell, in the case of the campaign I have it in.

Silva Stormrage
2014-04-19, 04:13 PM
Caput Mortem, the only legacy weapon I would ever consider using. It sacrifices spell slots and gives other penalties for a pretty standard scythe that increases in power with you. Except it also has the coolest ability I have seen. Whenever you kill someone with it you get a permanent unseen servant that can't die and can't leave more than 35 feet from you and if it does it just reforms 1 round later. This means that being standard murder hobos that PC's are they would have about 100 unseen servants following them around picking up things, opening doors, closing doors, shoving notes with explosive runes in people's faces. The possibilities are near endless :smalltongue:

Also if alchemical items are allowed than Shapesand is also pretty neat as it can make almost anything.

Dunsparce
2014-04-19, 04:43 PM
Saddle of the Centaur: Basically it makes my Paladin and his special mount become one creature for a number of turns equal to the total of the HD between then. The combined form uses the highest stats of each area for each(Stats, Skills, BAB, HP, Saves, ect) and Will save effects allow two rolls and I go with the highest. I gain my special mount's natural attacks as secondary attacks that I can use during a full attack along with my normal weapon damage. IF I run out of HP, instead of Dying the effect wears off and both take damage equal to half of the combined form's HP total.

Armory of One: Another Item my Paladin got. It's like the glove of storing, only I can hold a weapon in each finger. I have many weapons for different situations so it comes in handy.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-19, 05:11 PM
Greater True Death Crystal, i love Scythes and now i can crit all those pesky undead, also it gives me +1d6 damage against them as well as making the weapon Ghost Touch. I love that thing.

Oh and Brutal Surge anything and Fleshgrinding Throwing Knives

Deaxsa
2014-04-19, 05:15 PM
Ring of Anticipation.

+2 spot/listen (meh)
reroll initiative and use the better value (HELL YES!)

it costs 6k, i think. i love this item.

thompur
2014-04-19, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I gotta echo Quaal's Feather Token: Tree. So useful and versatile.:smallbiggrin:

Baroknik
2014-04-19, 07:25 PM
Anyone who didn't say "Rod of Wonder" has never had it banned permanently from multiple groups for using it as a primary weapon on an otherwise combat incompetent character!

I was a 5.5'' tall purple man by the end of that first campaign, but Lorick Nefson will be one of my favorite characters! Maxed INT with all skills just maxing out knowledge skills (pre-KD), and feats going towards buffing bardic knowledge -- I had a built in "sleep" spell (ex) by talking at great length about the most boring of topics!

But yeah, parties can only take being lightning bolted in the back so many times... (But come on, I actually rolled a 99 on a boss one time who botched his saving throw and got turned to stone turn 1!)

OrlockDelesian
2014-04-19, 07:48 PM
One of my favourite items ever was Prixton. An intelligent-intelligent enough to speak- greatsword +4 with Hematophobia: An abnormal and persistent fear of blood. :P

slaydemons
2014-04-19, 07:51 PM
One of my favourite items ever was Prixton. An intelligent-intelligent enough to speak- greatsword +4 with Hematophobia: An abnormal and persistent fear of blood. :P

He must of been screaming all the time

OrlockDelesian
2014-04-19, 07:52 PM
He must of been screaming all the time

ALL THE TIME.
And there where those times when he refused to get out of his scabbard.
Good times :P

slaydemons
2014-04-19, 07:56 PM
ALL THE TIME.
And there where those times when he refused to get out of his scabbard.
Good times :P

Why ever keep him in the scabbard I would of chucked him at an enemy and told him if he doesn't stop screaming at night you will take your time letting him out of the blood filled corpse....

Also another one of my favorite items is the immovable rods, I don't know why I like them so much I just do.

Grayson01
2014-04-19, 08:11 PM
It's not awe inducing but I always wanna have one for all my Characters. I ring of Feather Fall, It always comes in handy and I have a fear of my charcter plumiting to it's death. Also the look on my DM's face when he says okay you come to and X Y high how do you get down, and I say I step of the edge before he remembers I bought the ring is always priceless.

PsyBomb
2014-04-19, 11:14 PM
A character in a game I was playing in had a Headband of Wisdom. Said player was a Catfolk, the DM approved a custom-skin of it being an automated red-dot laser pointer mounted on said headband. You do the math

Svata
2014-04-19, 11:45 PM
So it forced a DC 35 Will save every round to avoid chasing the dot?

Story
2014-04-20, 12:14 AM
Lyre of Building

It's often overlooked because it's not useful in combat, but it's insane. Every hour you play it gives you 600 person-days of free labor. Want a castle? Poof. Need to build a village for the slaves you just freed? Save them the effort with a strum of the strings.

Anachronity
2014-04-20, 12:52 AM
Mine has to be the cloak of quills (from 3.0 savage species, I think). It isn't especially powerful, but I loved the idea of making a grappler with one and stacking those penalties until they pretty much auto-failed any grapple check or saving throw. Unfortunately it never happened.

I also used to like the Cloak of Stars, but eventually I ended up getting one and it actually wasn't all that fun. To be fair I was relatively new to D&D so I probably could have made better use of it.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-04-20, 01:50 AM
ring of timestop.
normally costs 1224000 gold, but with clever usage of mind mage, you can reduce the costs to 4000 gold.

even without extreme cheese, a high level party could easily pool their gold together and get one, and then easily steal everything that isn't nailed down anywhere.

more fun than farming walls of iron, at least.

Crake
2014-04-20, 03:03 AM
ring of timestop.
normally costs 1224000 gold, but with clever usage of mind mage, you can reduce the costs to 4000 gold.

even without extreme cheese, a high level party could easily pool their gold together and get one, and then easily steal everything that isn't nailed down anywhere.

more fun than farming walls of iron, at least.

Explain to me how the mind mage can get a ring of time stop down to 4000 gold.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 08:34 AM
There is no problem that cannot be solved with enough applications of Instant Tree.

Other than that, a Sharpie of Explosive Runes (with a cap that can cast Amanuensis) is another fun one. Eternal wands of either spell, in the case of the campaign I have it in.

i am getting an eternal wand of explosive runes NOW:smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallbiggr in::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

HaikenEdge
2014-04-20, 08:38 AM
I like the classics, so for me, it's the Handy Haversack, which is, in practice, a bottomless backpack.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 08:38 AM
i just got the expanded psionics handbook, are there any magic items in there that are useful to divine casters and bards

:smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::s mallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::sma llsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::small smile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsm ile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmil e::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile: :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::s mallsmile:

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 08:40 AM
what magic item is best for gnomes

atemu1234
2014-04-20, 08:58 AM
For a gnome it varies. A gnome wizard, for example, would be after items that increase the DC of his illusions, normally. A gnome rogue, dexterity-increasing items. Gnome barbarian or fighter, strength.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 08:59 AM
For a gnome it varies. A gnome wizard, for example, would be after items that increase the DC of his illusions, normally. A gnome rogue, dexterity-increasing items. Gnome barbarian or fighter, strength.

i am a gnome favored soul/bard/gatecrasher

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 09:20 AM
what magic items increase the amount of times you can use your spell-likes

atemu1234
2014-04-20, 09:35 AM
I can't think of any off of the top of my head. But there are feats that do that, if I'm remembering correctly. What I can't remember is what book they were in. I think it was races of the wild, but I'm not certain.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 09:38 AM
you know how the made the spell and magic item compendiums, they should have made a feat compendium

jjcrpntr
2014-04-20, 09:42 AM
Ring of Anticipation.

+2 spot/listen (meh)
reroll initiative and use the better value (HELL YES!)

it costs 6k, i think. i love this item.

Solid choice,

my favorite item is the Shadow Cloak.

3x per day when I'm attacked I can, as an immediate action, teleport 10 feet away or gain concealment for 1 round. Also gives +1 deflection to AC which isn't that big of a deal. I used this on my Mystic Theurge that I played like a red mage from Final Fantasy. Throw up all my long duration buffs, combat starts throw up divine power and I'm off into battle. Between my "you can't hit me spells" like Hesitate and stay the hand (i've fallen in love with immediate action spells/abilities) that cloak, and my really good AC I'm a real pain in the ass for the DM to try and kill. Let the weaker enemies try to hit me, big boss swings at me, nope look i'm 10 feet over here!

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 09:57 AM
did your character or any of your friends characters have any intelligent items

atemu1234
2014-04-20, 10:09 AM
In an epic level campaign, we had a level thirty dwarf fighter. He got a talking greataxe. The greataxe was sort of the reincarnation of a dwarf god or something, very powerful, but very proud. He would correct the dwarf on everything he did (you should have gone for the guy on the left, you should swing right and down, etc.) It got very annoying for the dwarf, but hilarious for the rest of the party.

Subaru Kujo
2014-04-20, 10:10 AM
This puppy here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dOCUjbUMO7_HXVALHMuLrbWZYWRkQPazHqfsPKZdRKw/edit), linking because it's a very long explanation. Got it when I tried to fetch a sword that was lying under a huge pile of some sort of mold (think it was yellow), as it embedded itself into my arm (was level 2 at the time, I'm fairly sure).

Unfortunately, I got rid of it recently, as it did try to kill me more than once when I touched a weapon that it deemed more powerful than itself, and it got old after the third time. Still, until I did, it was fun to have around.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 10:19 AM
In an epic level campaign, we had a level thirty dwarf fighter. He got a talking greataxe. The greataxe was sort of the reincarnation of a dwarf god or something, very powerful, but very proud. He would correct the dwarf on everything he did (you should have gone for the guy on the left, you should swing right and down, etc.) It got very annoying for the dwarf, but hilarious for the rest of the party.

my brothers character (a half-celestial aasimar paladin) has a greataxe that yells "SMITE THE UNHOLY" and allows him to rage

DigoDragon
2014-04-20, 10:24 AM
I like the classics, so for me, it's the Handy Haversack, which is, in practice, a bottomless backpack.

Right on, that is one of my favorites as well. :3

I also like the Quick Loading weapon ability added to crossbows. Makes them so much more efficient in combat.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 10:26 AM
Right on, that is one of my favorites as well. :3

I also like the Quick Loading weapon ability added to crossbows. Makes them so much more efficient in combat.

i like those too

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 10:41 AM
are any psionic items useful to non-psionics

Forrestfire
2014-04-20, 11:08 AM
It honestly depends on the character, and what resources you have. Many (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus) are (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#conceal) useful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#suppression) to (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#glovesofObjectReading) any (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#shards) character (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#lucky). Why not take a look yourself (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicItems.htm)?

Graypairofsocks
2014-04-20, 12:31 PM
I have no favorite item, but one of the ones that is interesting is the eversoaking sponge(From arms and equipment guide book, also found in an adventure online), like the name suggests it soaks up a lot of water.

Zweisteine
2014-04-20, 03:54 PM
The Psychoactive Skin of Proteus! At will metamorphosis (aka psionic polymorph). And only 84,000 gp!

If you go into custom item, you get this, which is even better:
The Greater Psychoactive Skin of Proteus! At will greater metamorphosis (aka psionic shapeshift). And only 559,000 gp!

Vedhin
2014-04-20, 04:06 PM
The Handy Haversack is the one I always buy.

My favorites are Ring Gates and Planar Ring Gates. The large amount of things that can pass through them causes all sorts of chaos and mayhem when used properly. And that's without the wanton abuse of physics and associated slaughter of catgirls.

Thealtruistorc
2014-04-20, 04:11 PM
Artificer's Monocle: Don't leave home without it.

Kazyan
2014-04-20, 04:17 PM
Seconding the two who mentioned a Shadow Cloak. Did you know you can just buy Abrupt Jaunt? You know, the thing that optimization forums say makes a level 1 wizard more survivable than a level 20 fighter? [/exaggration] Yeah, you can buy that for 5500 gp.

When I build epic characters, this humble item has dibs on the Shoulders slot every time.

jjcrpntr
2014-04-20, 06:47 PM
Seconding the two who mentioned a Shadow Cloak. Did you know you can just buy Abrupt Jaunt? You know, the thing that optimization forums say makes a level 1 wizard more survivable than a level 20 fighter? [/exaggration] Yeah, you can buy that for 5500 gp.

When I build epic characters, this humble item has dibs on the Shoulders slot every time.

I actually didn't know about that alternate class feature. I'm playing a gestalt wizard/cleric. I may have to see if my DM will let me take that. While I love the shadow cloak trading the familiar (which I only use for the bonus to a save anyway) to get that is pretty sick.

atomicwaffle
2014-04-20, 07:27 PM
1. Ring of Sustenance. This guy...this guy right here. You don't need to eat or drink and 2 hours of sleep is the equivalent of 8 hours. So, you can sleep 2 hours, prepare spells, stand watch, w/e. Or, you can have a full days rest (24 hours) in 6 hours. Costs less than 2900 gp.

2. Boots of Landing. These are cool. 500 gp. You always land on your feet, and you take 2 dice less of falling damage. So, you can jump, 20 feet down, land on your feet, and nothing bad happens to you. falling 30 feet is the same as falling 10 feet. Considering most rooftops are 15 - 20 feet high, these are really good for rogues.

3. Boccob's Blessed Book. If i am a caster, i will get this item one way or another. Craft Wondrous item, free wish, get to raid a treasury, earn a favour, hire an expert treasure hunter, whatever the circumstance.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 07:29 PM
1. Ring of Sustenance. This guy...this guy right here. You don't need to eat or drink and 2 hours of sleep is the equivalent of 8 hours. So, you can sleep 2 hours, prepare spells, stand watch, w/e. Or, you can have a full days rest (24 hours) in 6 hours. Costs less than 2900 gp.

2. Boots of Landing. These are cool. 500 gp. You always land on your feet, and you take 2 dice less of falling damage. So, you can jump, 20 feet down, land on your feet, and nothing bad happens to you. falling 30 feet is the same as falling 10 feet. Considering most rooftops are 15 - 20 feet high, these are really good for rogues.

3. Boccob's Blessed Book. If i am a caster, i will get this item one way or another. Craft Wondrous item, free wish, get to raid a treasury, earn a favour, hire an expert treasure hunter, whatever the circumstance.

i like boccob

equinoxmaster
2014-04-20, 08:23 PM
what magic item is most useful for exploding stuff

atemu1234
2014-04-21, 06:07 AM
Wand of Fireball.

DigoDragon
2014-04-21, 09:39 AM
Wand of Fireball.

Necklace of Fireballs is more fun if you just need one massive punch since tossing it in a fire makes all the beads go off simultaneously. :smallbiggrin:

My old D&D group from college holds the distinction of taking out an adult blue dragon in two rounds with such a necklace.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-21, 11:13 AM
is it possible to combine magic items example:boccobs book+staff of power= staff of power with all its abilitys and all of the blessed book's abilities

Samalpetey
2014-04-21, 11:30 AM
is it possible to combine magic items example:boccobs book+staff of power= staff of power with all its abilitys and all of the blessed book's abilities

Yes, but I believe only if they occupy the same slot. For example, you can combine two different types of gloves together, or two different face slot items. Look in the magic item compendium for the rules, can't remember them off the top of my head

Pinkie Pyro
2014-04-21, 11:40 AM
Explain to me how the mind mage can get a ring of time stop down to 4000 gold.

When casting a spell, the mind mage may lower its effective spell level (and thus the spell slot it occupies) by spending 8 power points per level of reduction (minimum level 1st). Similarly, he may reduce the power point cost of a psionic power by 2 per spell level so expended. Unlike the compensation ability (see above), focus of discipline decreases the base level of the spell or the base cost of the power rather than negating additional spell level or power point costs from metamagic or metapsionic feats.

with a high enough manifester level(72) and sanctum spell, outside your sanctum, timestop counts as a 0th level spell.

an item of a continual spell costs 2000 * spell level * caster level

caster level for a 1st level spell slot is 1, a 0th level spell counts as 1/2, and you multiply the final cost by 4 due to the spell being expressed in a number of rounds, so
2000 * 1/2 * 1 * 4 = 4000 gold

problem is, of course, getting a manifester level of 72.

(note, the DM will throw the DMG at you if you try this)

Fooliscious
2014-04-21, 03:25 PM
I've had fun with the Cloak of Flame(name?). It just looks like a pretty red cape, til you get hit with fire of some sort. Then you spontaneously combust, turning into a pile of ash. In reality, the ash is an illusion, you get to be invisible for 5 rounds, and it works a couple times a day.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-21, 08:00 PM
what is the funniest thing involving a magic item that happened to your or one of your friends characters

RedMage125
2014-04-21, 08:44 PM
A unique item I created as a DM: Bandolier of Daggers

The bandoleer takes up a belt slot, even though it is worn around the chest. There are 5 sheaths on the bandolier, each large enough for a dagger (although they will reshape themselves to accommodate any dagger). Any dagger drawn from the bandoleer will return to it at the start of the wearer's next turn, unless the wearer still has the dagger in hand, in which case it will not.

Basically, this was created for a dagger-throwing character with Quick Draw, allowing such an individual to throw multiple daggers each round and have all of them available again at the start of his next turn.

Which reminds me of a set of Intelligent magic items I came up with in an old 3.5e game...

Viper and Fang, Chaotic Evil Daggers of Venom

These identical daggers are a pair, and are thus always found together. They exist to serve the interests of the Yuan-ti race. Although they communicate by telepathy, magical silence suppresses their ability to communicate with (and therefore influence) the wielder.

The party found them on the body of a drow Rogue/Master Thrower NPC they had killed. He also had the above mentioned bandoleer as well. His remaining daggers were all +2 Keen daggers, but one of them had a permanent Silence effect, to a 5' radius, around it, which he frequently used to neutralize enemy spellcasters.

You may see where this is going. The Silence effect suppressed Viper and Fang's ability to take contol over this master thrower, because even once he threw the silencing dagger, they only had a few seconds to try and take him over before the silence effect returned, thus negating any control they had. Since he was drow, he communicated exclusively in Drow Sign Language.

Then the party killed him, and as they were looting, someone walked off with the silence dagger...and then the party fighter grabbed one of the paired daggers.

Roll a Will save against the daggers' Ego...failed. I told him that the daggers were obviously a set, and that he should pick up the other, so that they stayed together. Party Fighter is now under the thrall of a pair of CE daggers.

Cue maniacal laugh...

unseenmage
2014-04-21, 08:49 PM

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm),

Adding New Abilities

A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.

If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s body the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.
Emphasis mine.

And my favorite Magic Item is Golems (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm).
All of them. :smallbiggrin:

The characteristics of a golem that come from its nature as a magic item (caster level, prerequisite feats and spells, market price, cost to create) are given in summary form at the end of each golem’s description.
Emphasis mine.

Derpldorf
2014-04-22, 09:17 AM
My favorite items are Bürt and Er'Nī.

They were a pair of Sizing, weapon of flying (MoF) Gauntlets my armless Artificer//Factotum took as Item Familiars. (the feat so nice he had to take it twice) They were both idividually sentient and capable of doing everything a flying creature with a single humanoid hand, fairly good mental stats and a strength score that varied with their size could do. They could follow tellepathic orders and (and almost always did) coordinate and work together on any task that requires multiple hands. I don't know if it's always the case, but my DM allowed them to use the Skill points I invested in them, so I spread them and the bonus points around to let them preform nearly any task required of them. They both developed the personalities of their namesakes and eventually became something more akin to beloved cohorts that mere equipment, they were an outstanding comedic element in an otherwise grimdark setting that my group still occasionally reminisce over. They even crop up in other settings and campaigns from time to time.

John Longarrow
2014-04-22, 09:57 AM
Horseshoe of Mount.

Cast 1st level spell Mount... At will.

Nuff said?

Sith_Happens
2014-04-22, 10:24 AM
what is the funniest thing involving a magic item that happened to your or one of your friends characters

I was in a campaign where, near the end, we found the Shield of Wonder and Minmax's Sword (both as seen in Goblins) in the same loot pile. It took about five minutes for my teammates to strike the shield with the sword and lock the sword on that "setting," despite my severe protestations. It took an additional ten seconds for the party Swashbuckler to adopt the newly-created Sword of Wonder as his primary weapon, despite my warnings that in doing so he would surely doom us all.

I was right. Through a series of unfortunate and ill-timed percentile rolls over the course of the last two sessions of the campaign, that sword was directly and solely responsible for our being narrowly defeated by the BBEG. The whole thing was hilarious, but frustrating.

Raezeman
2014-04-22, 10:31 AM
ii like the anklets of translocation a lot. Pretty cheap and ideally to get my low-strenght characters out of grapple.

John Longarrow
2014-04-22, 10:37 AM
Raezeman,
That's what you need the horseshoe of Mount for.
Put a MOUNT between you and that grappler, instant shield!

Need to distract the pack of hungry ghouls? MOUNT!
Need to check for traps? MOUNT!

It provides transport, it provides cover, it provides trap detection! Too many ways for the enemy to get close? POOF! Instant terrain! Need a distraction? Nothing says "Look at me!" like a riding horse in the garterrobe! Want to see if the water is poison? MOUNT has you covered!

The Horseshoe of MOUNT, where you need it when you need it, every time!

D20ragon
2014-04-22, 10:48 AM
Like attaching it to an arrow and yelling tree mid shot so it keeps going and slams into someone?

Or assassinating corrupt nobles in a very spectacular way, (feather in their food, anyone?) or sinking ships, crushing walls, etc.
That's it.
My next character will have a ****ton of feather tokens and a flying carpet, and go around dropping trees on people.
Or maybe a insane Druid assassin...

Telonius
2014-04-22, 10:49 AM
My personal favorite is the Sap of Healing. It's basically a combination weapon and wand; you activate the charge by thwapping someone with it. (Since it deals only subdual, the damage is instantly healed along with the lethal damage). Clerics of St. Cuthbert always create these rather than regular wands.

Derpldorf
2014-04-22, 11:26 AM
My personal favorite is the Sap of Healing. It's basically a combination weapon and wand; you activate the charge by thwapping someone with it. (Since it deals only subdual, the damage is instantly healed along with the lethal damage). Clerics of St. Cuthbert always create these rather than regular wands.

"How many times do I have to tell you?!"
*Thwack*"Always!"
*Thwack*"Check!"
*Thwack*"For!"
*Thwack*"Traps!"

"...Please stop aiming for my fac-"*Thwack*

Telonius
2014-04-22, 11:47 AM
"How many times do I have to tell you?!"
*Thwack*"Always!"
*Thwack*"Check!"
*Thwack*"For!"
*Thwack*"Traps!"

"...Please stop aiming for my fac-"*Thwack*

That's the general idea. :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2014-04-22, 12:50 PM
The Psychoactive Skin of Proteus! At will metamorphosis (aka psionic polymorph). And only 84,000 gp!This. The sheer amount of awesome compacted into that item makes it (quite possibly) the most powerful and versatile item in the game.

Though given its relative price compared to the above, I find myself using handy haversacks for far more characters (basically every single one, as opposed to just high level ones).

Ring of the darkhidden -- use with the No Light cantrip, and suddenly you've got a ring of Greater Invisibility for cheap.

There are other fun little things, but I'll have to think for a bit to remember them.

Killer Angel
2014-04-22, 01:02 PM
Lyre of Building

It's often overlooked because it's not useful in combat, but it's insane. Every hour you play it gives you 600 person-days of free labor. Want a castle? Poof. Need to build a village for the slaves you just freed? Save them the effort with a strum of the strings.

SOOOO TRUUUEEEE!!! :smallsmile:

My second choice, probably could be the Marvelous Pigments...

torrasque666
2014-04-22, 01:04 PM
Clone Mask. Gives another attack at full bonus, prevents flanking, gives 2d10 HP, powerful build, bonus on spot and listen, and can grapple an opponent without penalty and THEN grapple another opponent at regular penalties.

Warforged Artifact Component from Dragon 341.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-22, 06:54 PM
SOOOO TRUUUEEEE!!! :smallsmile:

My second choice, probably could be the Marvelous Pigments...

you like items and spells that create permanent objects for you, I LOVE THOSE ITEMS111ONE1111ELEVEN11111:smallsmile::smallsmile: :smallsmile::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbigg rin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2014-04-23, 06:08 AM
you like items and spells that create permanent objects for you, I LOVE THOSE ITEMS111ONE1111ELEVEN11111:smallsmile::smallsmile: :smallsmile::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbigg rin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Yep, this kind of items gives you an extraordinary flexibility, so i find them to be very useful, especially when used by a low tier class...

DigoDragon
2014-04-23, 08:00 AM

My wife was in a party where they found a cursed Intelligent. Dancing. Vorpal Sword. The curse was that it had a dog's intellect. They tried using it, but the party druid had the scent of cat upon her, so the sword chased the druid up tree. Imagine a druid sitting up in a tree while a floating sword circled around the base barking constantly.

Eldan
2014-04-23, 08:04 AM
There was a time when one of my players found a cursed coat in an abandoned mad scientist's laboratory.

It's power was that whenever you pulled anything out of your pocket, there was a 25% chance that it would be something totally inappropriate instead of what you wanted.

Took them a while to find out what the cause of that was. But it was hilarious.

"I have a warrant from the King!"
"That's a rude caricature of the king."

equinoxmaster
2014-04-23, 08:15 PM
There was a time when one of my players found a cursed coat in an abandoned mad scientist's laboratory.

It's power was that whenever you pulled anything out of your pocket, there was a 25% chance that it would be something totally inappropriate instead of what you wanted.

Took them a while to find out what the cause of that was. But it was hilarious.

"I have a warrant from the King!"
"That's a rude caricature of the king."

post the rules for it please

RavynsLand
2014-04-23, 08:21 PM
My Chordsage traded a Deck of Many Things to a Song Dragon. In exchange, I got a Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion figurine that can be used at will. :D

In the middle of a forest?

MANSION.

In the middle of a dungeon?

MANSION.

Dinner with the king?

MANSION.

"Assassins are on the lookout for you!"

MANSION.

Running from a hard battle!

MANSION!

Mansion mansion mansion.

Eldan
2014-04-24, 02:00 AM
post the rules for it please

Those are the rules.

As I said above. "Whenever you pull an item from it, there's a 25% chance you'll get something inappropriate instead".

equinoxmaster
2014-04-24, 10:24 AM
what non-weapon magic item is a good item familiar

torrasque666
2014-04-24, 10:39 AM
Either a HH or a BoH.

unseenmage
2014-04-24, 10:42 AM
what non-weapon magic item is a good item familiar

Rings are nice because you can protect them from magic just by wearing gloves or gauntlets.

With the 'Constructs are Magic Items' rules interpretation Homunculus make neat Item Familiars. Mechanically it's a terrible idea as if you die they're irrevocably destroyed but it's very cool.

equinoxmaster
2014-04-24, 07:59 PM
what magic item that is not a relic (from complete divine or the magic item compendium) is related to Boccob (greyhawk/core god of knowledge)

equinoxmaster
2014-04-25, 09:05 AM
also i got an item familiar, it is a instrument of the winds from magic of faerun

Meowmasterish
2014-04-25, 10:31 AM
I really like the Deck of Many Things, just because it's a fun gimmick to toy around with. Combined with a haversack and it becomes good.

Loxagn
2014-04-25, 10:41 AM
I am personally deeply fond of the Energy Bow. It's just such a glorious image.

LentilNinja
2014-04-25, 11:38 AM
Everfull Purse. 1 gold goes in, 25 come out. :)

atemu1234
2014-04-25, 04:40 PM
Everfull Purse. 1 gold goes in, 25 come out. :)

Where's that from?

ak grown
2014-04-25, 05:17 PM
It may seem corny, but I had a blast with the Cloak of the Bat. It was extremely useful for my rogue/theif-acrobat to fly into houses or castles at night and steal whatever I wanted, and then fly back out the window I again! Everybody in my party knew what I was up to because I always had cool new trinkets in the morning but none of the townsfolk ever had a clue! Also, it was very useful in dungeons where it was always dark. I fly pretty much whenever I wanted to

equinoxmaster
2014-04-28, 10:06 AM
Where's that from?

its from epic level handbook, its a minor artifact

Karoht
2014-04-28, 11:10 AM
Eternal Wand of Anticipate Teleporation. approx 12000g.
"Hey, we have incoming, they're delayed a round because of Anticipate Teleportation, lets murder them."
Wand of Nerveskitter. 750g
"I feel like going first, should this come down to initiative. Hey look, I rolled a 19 initiative, awesome."
Ring of Spell Battle. MIC. 12000g.
"So they're both going to cast Orb of Fire, at me and the Cleric? Nope. I'm totally okay with him shooting his buddy in the face with an Orb of Fire though. And he can eat an Orb of Sound, because reasons."

Watching two Sorcerers show up and try to nuke me with Orb of Fire, only for one to nuke the other while I kill the first one, all in the surprise round? Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's robber-barony.

Specifically, that Ring of Spell Battle is my absolute favorite.