PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best weapon for a coup de grace for a witch

kabreras
2014-04-19, 02:12 PM
Hello grounders,

Playing a witch atm, and i tend (like most witches) to slumber a lot of peoples...

But i tend also to fail miserably to my coup de grace attempts (with a earth breaker atm)

Is there a better way to pull them off ?
Some magic weapon or enchantement ?
Cheap preferably :D

Thanks all

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-19, 02:29 PM
I tend to just use a Scythe. 2d4 x4 crits tend to end most things quite well at minimum damage its a DC18 or die, and add in strength or any magic on it the damage skyrockets pretty quickly

The earth shaker is about the same with 2d6 x3 so your minimums are going to be less (16) but your average is pretty decent (DC31 or die)

Why are you failing exactly? Are you rolling badly (or DM rolling insanely well)?

But every +1 or +1d6 adds to insane coup de grace DC's so there is always that, not sure if there is any other ways

kabreras
2014-04-19, 02:42 PM
I was looking if there is a more... "witch like" way to do it ...

Getting a BIG weapon out of your bag just for the coup de grace is way less fun than with a dagger roleplay wise.

Yet a dagger is a totally crap weapon to do it =/

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-19, 02:50 PM
This is very true.

Ask your DM if they will allow you to create a special dagger for your witch

Ultimate Dagger of Killyness 'against helpless sleeping foes'
Price: 250g
Range: 10ft
Type: S/P
Damage: 1d3(m)
Critical Range: 21*
Critical Multiplier: x10
Special: No further enhancement can be made to this weapon by divine proclamation :smallsmile:

*This dagger can only preform a critical hit if the attack would already automatically hit and a full round action is taken for the attack

(yeah it's probably cheeseable but it fits well with slitting an opponents throat)

Blyte
2014-04-19, 10:32 PM
I just let the party rogue, who is nearly worthless in combat, do all my dirty work. The slumber lasts your level in rounds, so the urgency begins to fade after a while.

Grayson01
2014-04-19, 10:42 PM
You could use a punch Dagger that might help a little bit since it's a X3, just adding +'s helps if you just wanna stab and have die.

Raven777
2014-04-19, 10:43 PM
A Scarred Witch-Doctor with a a scary ritual mask and a big ass scythe ain't "Witch like" enough for you?

StreamOfTheSky
2014-04-19, 10:57 PM
But i tend also to fail miserably to my coup de grace attempts (with a earth breaker atm)

I was looking if there is a more... "witch like" way to do it ...

Getting a BIG weapon out of your bag just for the coup de grace is way less fun than with a dagger roleplay wise.

Yet a dagger is a totally crap weapon to do it =/

Wait, a scythe is too big, but the 14 lb earth breaker is A-ok?!!

The crude metal of this massive hammer’s head ends in multiple blunt spikes that channel the momentum of a powerful swing.

In any case, if you want a smaller weapon switch to a heavy pick or a light pick. Both are x4. And sending a precise, small puncture wound into your foe's cranium has a nice balance of frightfully gruesome yet tastefully restrained.

TiaC
2014-04-20, 03:16 AM
The scythe does let you play up the reaper aspect.

Spore
2014-04-20, 10:12 AM
The scythe does let you play up the reaper aspect.

Not to mention the whole box of one-liners concerning crops and the harvest thereof. :D

Still, a scythe used for battle and not crops is actually not that large.

kabreras
2014-04-20, 03:24 PM
Yeah, well thematically my witch is more of the aristocratic style so i dont see her with a scythe ..

Ossian
2014-04-20, 03:29 PM
Whip-garrote? Flaming (laser slicer)? Could be houseruled to give you way better chances at cdg and at the same time looks witchy enough.

Spore
2014-04-20, 04:02 PM
Yeah, well thematically my witch is more of the aristocratic style so i dont see her with a scythe ..

Get Leadership only to get a Rogue to kill that stuff for you. I'm dead serious right there.

Lonely Tylenol
2014-04-20, 05:30 PM
Use a hand axe (1d6x3) or heavy pick (1d6x4) to perform your coup-de-grace. Flavor the axe CDG as a beheading (ceremonial executions being the staple of old-world nobility), or the heavy pick as the equivalent of a lobotomy (a quick, relatively bloodless kill; cave in the helpless enemy's skull at a critical weak point, favoring the precision typical of a dagger).

Either way, enchant the weapon with a simple +1 enchantment, if possible. This will let you bypass DR overcome by magic, and as a special bonus, any such enchantment basically increases the save DC by the critical multiplier (since static damage bonuses multiply on a crit).

Blyte
2014-04-21, 11:14 AM

all the more reason to let another party member do the dirty work, see rogue comments above