PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] A whole new spell list!

Jarelk
2007-02-08, 02:01 PM
I am currently trying creating a whole new spell list, just for fun.
Know that these spells may include things that seem similair to other spells. I am not really trying to create completely different spells. They need to fit in, of course. These spells are not necessarily designed to fit together with the PHB spell list.

I don't have a lot of spells, but I am slowly starting, beginning with 1st level Arcane Spells. Slowly, or not, depends how excited I am, I'll start heading towards 9th level spells for Arcane Casters, and then go to divine. Note that the spells I create are mainly for Sorcerers/Wizards, and not for classes with limited or focusses spells, like Bards.

Well, here are the spells. I currently only have a few 1st level Arcane spells.

1st Level
Flare
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 5 foot spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex none
Spell Resistance: Yes

A small homing fireball homes towards its target and hits the center for 1d4/Caster Level (Max 5d4) and then bursts into many tiny fireballs whom almost immediately burn out, but damage creatures within 5 feet for 1d4+1/Caster Level (Max +5).
Material Component: A tiny amount of ash.

Freezing Hold
Evocation [Cold]
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Target: One object/creature
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: No

A small path of ice freezes its way to its targetand then forms a solid layer of ice on a part of the body touching the ground, trapping him in place. A creature trapped this way is not considered helpless. A creature trapped this way can still fight, but not move. As speaking for it self, creatures trapped this way cannot perform Jump, Climb, Tumble, or any other skill that requires movement. A creature can free himself with a DC 16 Strength check or a DC 17 Escape Artist Check. A lying creature, or a creature who’s body is for a large portion in contact with the ground cannot perform skills that require even mere minor movements, and needs to make a DC 21 Strength check to break free, and cannot use the Escape Artist skill to free himself. The path of ice to the target does not do any damage to creatures walking over it, nor is it slippery.

Illusionist Weapon
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Brd 1
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

This spell creates a mundane weapon of the caster’s choice. There's a 20% chance it's real when the spell is cast. When the illusion is fake, it becomes transparent when you try to attack, obviously showing it is an illusion. If the illusion isn’t believable, the weapon becomes transparent.

Chain
Conjuration (Creation)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: No

This spell creates invisible chains around a targets arms or any other body part that will render the target unable to attack and resist. You may also choose to chain someone’s legs, leaving him unable to move, but able to attack. When your arms (or any other body part used for somatic components) are chained, you cannot cast spells with somatic components, unless specifically noted you need not use your arms. It requires a DC 17 Escape Artist or a DC 20 Strength check to escape or burst the chains.
Material Components: A small clay chain

Short Shield
Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 Round

This spell creates a barrier that blocks one ranged or melee attack, or one spell that affects the caster (Caster’s choice). If you choose to defend from one ranged or melee attack, the barrier “holds” the weapon with which was attacked for the attacker’s round, and then releases, thus denying any other attack the attacker could make, except if he has another weapon (Off hand and such). If you choose to defend against a spell, you must compare the saving DC of this spell with the saving DC of the attacker’s spell. If the one from the attacker is higher, the Short Shield doesn’t work. If this spell’s saving DC is higher, the attacker’s spell is negated. If the DC’s are equal, compare Spell levels. If both levels are equal to, both spells are negated.
Note: Using this with a ready action may provide usefull protection against a ranged attack, or a spell.
Material Component: A small broken wooden arrow and sword for protection against a ranged or melee attack, or a tiny ripped scroll for protection against one spell

Eye Contact
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Range: Within sight
Target: One living creature with some sort of eye
Duration: Concentration (Up to 1 round/level)

As soon as cast, the caster must make eye contact with his target. The target automatically makes eye contact with the caster, he can not help it. The target can make a spell resistance save in the first round, and attempt a saving throw each round the caster holds the eye contact. When eye contact is made and the spell resistance fails, the target can do nothing else but look the caster in the eye. He can’t attack, but is not considered helpless. He can’t move either, nor can he use skills. He remains in any position he is, whether prone or standing. If the target is caught within a jump, he is knocked prone when landing. The target loses his Dexterity bonus to AC. If a target is attacked and hit it has a 50% chance of ending the spell. The caster can’t move without breaking the spell, but he can attack (The one who the caster is attacking gains concealment though; due to the fact the caster must hold eye contact with the target). The caster can talk, and the like, but if he looks away, he breaks the spell. If the caster is attacked, the spell can be broken to gain full AC to reflect the attack. If the caster chooses to remain eye contact, even if he is attacked, he loses Dexterity bonus to AC.

Call Bull
Conjuration (Calling)
Target: Varies (See text)
Saving Throw: Reflex avoids
Spell Resistance: No

The caster summons a bull to rush towards a target, door or anything else. The bull can only rush, you can’t summon the bull to stand still or such. The bull can however be summoned to push something. The bull can be used to perform various things, like rushing through a door, bull rush, overrun or charge an enemy, stop a rolling ball from crushing you to death, etc. A bull has Str 19, 28 hp, and Natural Attack Feat. His natural weapons are his gore (1d8+4) and when trampling his hoof attack (1d6+2). The bull has the Spirited Charge and Trample feat. A bull's bull rush deals damage due to his gore. The bull disappears after he has finished one action, like finishing a bull rush, slamming into a wall, or breaking open a door.

Boiling Blood
Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 Standard action\
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1d6 rounds

This spell causes ones blood to boil, creating a fever, and giving the target a strange sick feeling. The target suffers a -1 penalty to attack rolls and needs to make a DC 10+spell’s level Concentration check to cast spells.

Friendly
Enchantment (Charm)
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Saving Throw: Will negates (See text)

When this spell is cast it brings extra charm to your words. This spell grants you a +10 bonus on bringing NPC’s one step closer to Helpful. This spell ends once you have tried once/level to bring someone one step closer to Helpful. The one you try to make Helpful can throw a Will save (DC is Spell level + Caster level + 10) to negate the bonus, but even if he succeeded on the Will save, the target won’t notice that it was a spell that made the caster so charming.

Webbed Sphere
Illusion (Pattern) [Mind-Affecting]
Casting Time: 1 min
Range: 25 ft.
Effect: One strange floating sphere
Duration: 10 min/level (See Text)

The caster needs to prepare this spell ahead of time. It will last 10 minutes until the pattern loses its fascinating aspects. Once activated, it floats towards a 5 foot square (Its 5 ft in diameter), and lasts for 2 rounds/level. Every creature that can see it and within 20 ft of the sphere, close enough to see the strange fascinating patterns that reside in the sphere, gets a Will save. If that succeeds he overcame the fascinating pattern, and can choose to prevent looking to it again. If he is somehow forced to look at it again, he must make a Will save again. A creature fascinated by the sphere like this is unable to look anywhere else. He loses his Dexterity bonus to AC, and can’t make any skill check. Every turn he gets a Will save, but if he fails, he moves 5 feet closer. Every 5 ft. closer than 20 ft. increases the Will save DC by 1. An ally of the creature fascinated can try to pull the fascinated creature away, but the creatures resists to keep watching. Someone trying to make his ally look away from the sphere can grapple him. A creature trying to look away from the sphere has a 20% chance of accidentally looking towards the sphere, unless he is doing nothing else than trying to not look at it.
Material Components: A small thin silk rope piece.

Fixation
Transmutation
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft/level)
Target: One living Creature

When this spell is cast the caster needs to select two targets. The creature intended to receive the bonus, and the creature against which the bonus will be used. The creature who gets the bonus suddenly feels his senses sharpened when focusing on one certain enemy (The creature chosen by the caster). A character enchanted gains a +1 Dexterity bonus to AC and +1 bonus to Dexterity and all saving throws regarding the chosen creature. The creature receiving the bonus also gets a +1 bonus on attack rolls against that creature. The bad news is that when the creature with the bonus focuses on someone else more than 1 round, the spell breaks. If he tries to keep focusing on the target, he loses Dexterity bonus to AC against other creatures.

Anticipation
Divination
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature touched
Duration: See text

This spell gives the creature touched a temporary insight to his close surroundings. He gains a +10 bonus to Dexterity on the next attack made against him, and a +10 bonus to reflex for 1 round. The attack made against the creature can be Ranged, Magical or Melee. The creature doesn’t get any bonus to dodge lava when swimming in a lava pool for example.

Intensify Armor
Abjuration
Components: V, S, F
Range: Touch (See Text)
Target: One armor or shield
Duration: 1 Min/level
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (See Text)

This spell strengthens the armor on weaker or thinner points and makes the armor a bit more flexible, granting the armor a -1 armor check penalty and a +2 AC bonus. When casting on an item with intelligence, it may get a saving throw (harmless). When trying this spell on masterwork armor, or magic armor, this spell automatically fails.

Any advice, like too powerfull, or maybe to weak?

And If anyone decides to use this list, PM me. I just like to know people are using it:smallsmile:.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-08, 02:23 PM
Texttobespoiled

Jarelk
2007-02-08, 02:24 PM
Thanks! Do you also know how to give spoilers a name, or is that impossible?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-08, 02:34 PM
You can't unfortunately.

Flare: I'd make it 1d4/CL to a max of 5d4, and have the radial damage be 1d4+CL (max 5).

Freezing Hold: Add in an Escape Artist DC.

Illusory Weapon should probably be a cantrip, considering how ineffectual it is. If it had, say a 20% of being real (or a will save to resist) and the wielder didn't suffer nonproficiency penalties for it, but it only made mundane weapons, it might be a L1.

Chain's casting time and duration are both way too long. Make it 1 standard action and 1 round/level.

And, though it appears to take an immediate action to cast, what's the casting time on Short Shield?

Calver
2007-02-08, 03:11 PM
Flare happens to be the name of a 0-level Brd/Drd/Sor/Wiz spell, already. I'm not sure if you just wanted to make a completely different list or if you are just making a list to add onto the core. Other than that, I'll give the rest of these spells a look-over once I get home from work. They look pretty cool so far :smallbiggrin:

Jarelk
2007-02-09, 05:53 AM
You can't unfortunately.

Flare: I'd make it 1d4/CL to a max of 5d4, and have the radial damage be 1d4+CL (max 5).

Freezing Hold: Add in an Escape Artist DC.

Illusory Weapon should probably be a cantrip, considering how ineffectual it is. If it had, say a 20% of being real (or a will save to resist) and the wielder didn't suffer nonproficiency penalties for it, but it only made mundane weapons, it might be a L1.

Chain's casting time and duration are both way too long. Make it 1 standard action and 1 round/level.

And, though it appears to take an immediate action to cast, what's the casting time on Short Shield?

Flare: I was uncertain about the damage, so thanks for the tips:smallsmile:.

Freezing Hold: Hm.. Yeah, you're right.

Illusionists Weapon: Illusion spells are really strange to create, so again, thanks for the tips.

Chain: Wil do.

Short Shield: Woops, forgot casting time! Will fix. How about 1 standard action? It's kind of made to be used as a ready action, by the way ;).

Flare happens to be the name of a 0-level Brd/Drd/Sor/Wiz spell, already. I'm not sure if you just wanted to make a completely different list or if you are just making a list to add onto the core. Other than that, I'll give the rest of these spells a look-over once I get home from work. They look pretty cool so far :smallbiggrin:

As I said in my first post, I am trying to create a whole new spell list, not created for adding in the core spell list:smallwink:. Thanks for the compliment^^!

Oh, and I added three new spells, also introducing the Call spell range, a sort of substitute for the Summon Monster Spells. I am quite excited about it. The Call spell introduces the ability to call a certain animal to do one thing himself, but which can introduce a lot difference. I have a little problem with Call Bull since I do not know the statistics for a Bull, and it isn't on SRD. Can someone help, please? I made up the current stats which I am pretty sure are totally off. Oh, and since the Call spell only allows you to summon one animal doing one thing, should I maybe create two Call spells per spell level?

Jarelk
2007-02-10, 06:37 AM
Added two new spells.

Triaxx
2007-02-10, 07:44 AM
I love Illusionist Weapon. If combined with a similar spell in regards to armor, you could have an army of town's people defending a city.

Jarelk
2007-02-10, 08:12 AM
Thanks^^! And you made me think of another spell for later.

Summon Illusionary Army :P.

Tussy the Druid
2007-02-10, 08:59 AM
Summon Illlusionary Army would be and interesting (and useful) spell, you might want to look at that. Good work so far, though.

Jarelk
2007-02-10, 11:45 AM
Thanks again. I still need help with the Bull Call spell, since I don't have the statistics for a bull.

Collin152
2007-02-10, 09:11 PM
I suggest calling it "Phantom Army" or "Shadow Army" or whatever kind of illusion it is. as long as it isnt "Pattern Army"

Icewalker
2007-02-11, 06:20 AM
First of all, I love the idea of remaking the spell list, sometimes I have wanted to, and will give any feedback I can think of to try to help.

Isn't flare a tiny bit overpowered? At first level it is better than burning hands, although considering the area effect only increases by one per level it probably is pretty balanced.

Isn't Webbed Sphere basically the same as Eye Contact except it affects whoever sees it, and the caster doesn't have to focus on it, making it massively better? It even lasts longer. Also I suggest adding it for both that when the target is attacked it has a good chance (50%?) of breaking after the attack is made (target still loses dex bonus on that attack), I mean even if a caster is trying to hold you, it is pretty hard to be distracted with a sword in the side of your head. However I really like the idea of Webbed Sphere, though I suggest raising the level. It'd be a fun method of pulling poeple together for area spells.

I like Chain also, it's a cool idea.

Boiling Blood is cool, but it seems like it would do more and be harder to cast, I can definitely see a high level spell that does large amounts of damage and/or cause them to cease all actions writhing in pain on the ground, or some such thing.

I think they are all great though, and this seems like a good endeavor to go through with, and I have some spells I made with my brother I can contribute, though I need to fix them up and such.

Jarelk
2007-02-11, 10:09 AM
Webbed Sphere and Eye con-- Lord Shojo, it's blasphemy :O (Whatever that may mean)!

Hm. Maybe I need to change either Eye Contact or Webbed Sphere to another type of enchantment/illusion. And I agree with the 50% thing.

And I don't understand about Boiling Blood. Do you mean it's overpowered or too weak?

EDIT: Okay, how about this as an idea for Webbed Sphere. The sphere needs to made before use, and that takes about 10 minutes or such, and the energy of the spell is then held. You can only carry one sphere at a time. It kinda makes it look like a high level spell though...

Icewalker
2007-02-11, 05:56 PM
Nah, I'm not saying Boiling Blood is too overpowered or too weak, I think it's a good balanced spell, I'm just saying that the idea of ones blood boiling in their veins might be cooler if it was a higher level spell. But thats just me.

As to that edit of Webbed Sphere, maybe if it dissapates after a relatively short amount of time, like another 10 minutes, so you can't prepare it unless you plan on entering combat soon.

Jarelk
2007-02-12, 09:57 AM
Aahh, good. I'll add that soon :). Thanks for all the comments and compliments, everyone!

Jarelk
2007-02-12, 01:32 PM
2 New spell are up. I also changed Webbed Sphere, and I still need help with Call Bull.

Triaxx
2007-02-12, 10:01 PM
Very nice, but I think Anticipation should affect the reflex save, for area effect ranged attacks.

Jarelk
2007-02-15, 12:53 PM
Added only one new spell. I'm having major headache attacks for 4 days now:smallfrown:.

Very nice, but I think Anticipation should affect the reflex save, for area effect ranged attacks.

I made Anticipation affect both Reflex and AC, but I am a bit confused about the spell now.

Oh, and just so I know, is there a limit to the amount of words in a topic? I mean, I AM going to post more than a 100 spells eventually.

Triaxx
2007-02-15, 07:46 PM
Not that I know of, though if they aren't all the same level, put each level in it's own spoiler column.

heretic
2007-02-15, 09:34 PM
There's already a more powerful version of illusionist weapon. To make the two similar, I'd say Will disbelief save. If they fail, the weapon deals full damage. If they succeed, then 20% damage.

The other version (can't remember name) is the same, except third level, a swift action to cast and counts as a touch attack.

Jarelk
2007-02-16, 05:35 AM
I looked it up, but I can't find any spells like the one you are mentioning, except Magic Weapon, maybe, but that's not an illusion.

I'm gonna try and improve Illusionists weapon if people want, but I don't think it should deal actual damage, because isn't that going to supposed to be higher level spell?

Neek
2007-02-16, 12:36 PM
I'd seperate the spell into two:

Lesser Illusionist Weapon and Greater Illusionist Weapon. Lesser Illusionist Weapon creates the illusion of a mundane weapon of your choice. When used against a creature, it should either a). deal no damage, or b). subdual damage some of the time, and Greater Illusionist Weapon should allow you to a). deal damage some of the time, or b). subdual damage all of the time, depending on which one you wanted to go with.

I think that'd be better. Perhaps also either a conjuration spell that lets you summon a weapon (or an item for that matter--is there such a spell already? I don't know!), or an evocation spell that allows you to create a melee weapon for a short duration.

I do enjoy your spells, though, and so do await your next. (Btw, what other Call spells do you have in mind?)

Jarelk
2007-02-16, 01:52 PM
I'll try to edit Illusionistīs Weapon. Illusions confuse me.

And I can think of a lot of Call spells for that matter.

Call Eagle, Call Celestial, Call Vermin, Call Horse, Call Squid, Call Raccoon...