PDA

View Full Version : Is Warforged Scout any good?

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-19, 04:46 PM
Apparently MM3's Warforged is all the rage with the kids these days. Warforged Charger doesn't seem like it would be very good, what with the 10 RHD and 4 LA, but how is the Warforged's smaller cousin, the Warforged Scout? It seems to be tanking stats a little too hard, but it's small, no LA or RHD, and it's got all the construct goodies Warforged got.

What's you guys' opinion on it?

JellyPooga
2014-04-19, 05:52 PM
Me? I like 'em. Then again, I'm a fan of small races and having a high Dex.

Strictly, they come out a little worse than the standard Warforged, but they shine in builds where size isn't a limitation, but a boon. Wizards and Warlocks immediately come to mind, but stealth Rogues, Rangers and Scouts can also enjoy the WF-Scouts smaller size and Dex bonus.

torrasque666
2014-04-19, 07:52 PM
Apparently MM3's Warforged is all the rage with the kids these days. Warforged Charger doesn't seem like it would be very good, what with the 10 RHD and 4 LA, but how is the Warforged's smaller cousin, the Warforged Scout? It seems to be tanking stats a little too hard, but it's small, no LA or RHD, and it's got all the construct goodies Warforged got.

What's you guys' opinion on it?

10 RHD? They have 4, for a total ECL of 8. I know mundane builds aren't fantastic and generally looked down upon in favor of casters, but they seem like they allow for a semi-viable build.

Zanos
2014-04-19, 08:01 PM
10 RHD? They have 4, for a total ECL of 8. I know mundane builds aren't fantastic and generally looked down upon in favor of casters, but they seem like they allow for a semi-viable build.
The loss of BAB/Saves/Skills/Hp from LA really hurts, and racial hit dice are generally weaker than comparable class features. Construct hit die and -6 int also means your charger probably isn't getting more than 1 skill point per level, meaning they aren't really going to be doing anything out of combat.

Warforged Scout is pretty alright. The come out with a -2 total to ability scores and some other bad traits, but they're small living constructs, which is rather good. Probably not a great frontline character and the 20 base move speed hurts the stealthy types, but I can think of uses.

torrasque666
2014-04-19, 08:14 PM
Its saves aren't good, but it provides just less than full BAB. When you factor in the +10 to con, it gains a semi decent fort save. It lacks in reflex base save, and its will save is tanked, yes, but you can invest points saved by the +10 to strength and constitution in things like dex and wis. It doesn't excel in any one area outside of combat but it doesn't exactly fail really either. Sure, its not as good as other races outside of combat, and its stats aren't the best for its ECL, but its viable in a non-uber-optimized game.