PDA

View Full Version : Casting with a shield

Blackhawk748
2014-04-19, 05:06 PM
Is there a feat or an enchantment that would allow an Arcane caster to cast with a shield equipped? I've always wanted to do this but i havent been able to figure out how.

PS im aware of Dancing, but i just feel silly having a shield floating around me.

nyjastul69
2014-04-19, 05:09 PM
Is there a feat or an enchantment that would allow an Arcane caster to cast with a shield equipped? I've always wanted to do this but i havent been able to figure out how.

PS im aware of Dancing, but i just feel silly having a shield floating around me.

Assuming the appropriate ASF, there is no reason you can't cast with a shield equipped if your other hand is otherwise unoccupied.

Deophaun
2014-04-19, 05:09 PM
Why not use a mithral/githcraft/feycraft buckler?

Blackhawk748
2014-04-19, 05:14 PM
I meant with a weapon in my other hand, but i shoulda specified.

Not a huge fan of bucklers unless im playing a Dual Wielder or an Archer, usually im using a Heavy Wooden Shield or a Hide Shield.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-19, 05:19 PM
Somatic Weaponry (Complete Mage) lets you cast with your hands full. Grab a light shield or mithril heavy shield with the twilight special enhancement property (PHB 2, in the Duskblade entry) and you'll avoid ASF.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-19, 05:28 PM
Thank you Grod, thats exactly what i was looking for

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-19, 06:03 PM
There's also the Shield Gauntlet in Races of Stone. It's exotic but if you make it out of mithril you can use one without penalty and save a feat.
It has a rather high ASF though so getting it to 0% may require some effort.