PDA

View Full Version : I have found the number one way a fighter can beat a wizard

CyberThread
2014-04-19, 10:04 PM
Have the fighter put his sword through the wizards guts!

Zanos
2014-04-19, 10:05 PM
What wizard?

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-19, 10:06 PM
Brilliant! You triggered his Contingent Dying before he wanted to use it!

Crake
2014-04-19, 10:21 PM
The number 1 way a fighter can beat a wizard is at level 1, after all the encounters of the day and the wizard has used all his spells for the day.

Firebug
2014-04-19, 10:24 PM
You seem trustworthy! Want to join my party! /ganks the wizard while he's resting after a full day

XionUnborn01
2014-04-19, 10:24 PM
The number 1 way a fighter can beat a wizard is at level 1, after all the encounters of the day and the wizard has used all his spells for the day.

Dude...dude...dude...you forgot your blue text.

CyberThread
2014-04-19, 10:28 PM

whew saved you

Raven777
2014-04-19, 10:40 PM
Step #1 Wait for 1st level Wizard to expand daily spells.
Step #2 Buy house cat.
Step #3 ...
Step #4 PROFIT!

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-19, 10:42 PM
The number one way a fighter can beat a wizard is to be born before him and finish training first, and kill him before he knows how to cast spells. [/notsarcasm]:smallsmile:

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-19, 10:52 PM
The number one way a fighter can beat a wizard is to be born before him and finish training first, and kill him before he knows how to cast spells. [/notsarcasm]:smallsmile:

Well, he doesn't have to be born first. Level 1 Fighters have a lower minimum starting age than wizards, and hey, if you can get someone else in on the plot to block the door, dagger nonproficiency will even itself out in your favor.

Story
2014-04-20, 12:17 AM
Then the Wizard Teleports Through Time to permaclone himself back into existence and then deletes the fighter from the timeline.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-20, 12:22 AM
How... But... He never learned to cast spells... Wut?

CyberThread
2014-04-20, 12:24 AM
How... But... He never learned to cast spells... Wut?

He was clearly optimized to the point, that you have just not yet reached.

Vizzerdrix
2014-04-20, 01:03 AM

WRONG! If wiz wins init, fighter looses to alchemical items anyways.

TiaC
2014-04-20, 02:49 AM
"Living well is the best revenge."

Therefore, when you've reached level 5 and the wizard is starting to really outshine you, retire. Even a skilled worker only earns 1gp/day. Your 9,000 GP of WBL should see you well provided for. If he keeps adventuring, it's likely that he'll die before he settles down. So, stay on good terms with him, hopefully he'll name you in his will.

nedz
2014-04-20, 12:00 PM
This requires a smart Fighter.
Level 1 Fighter starts taking levels of Wizard whilst persuading the level 1 Wizard to take levels of Fighter.

Zweisteine
2014-04-20, 02:29 PM
The buy a cat trick might not work, because the Wizard's familiar might be a cat, too.

The fighter should hire an artificer to use his soul to build a seriously magic-proof, damage-proof, teleporting golem of doom.

To be serious, though, you might try this:
1. Optimize fighter for UMD and initiative.
2. Scroll of time stop (or a contingent time stop, if you want to be even faster)
3. Scroll of wall of stone to put the wizard in a dome
4. Scroll of transmute rock to mud
5. Scroll of transmute mud to rock
6. Contingent antimagic field

Of course, some contingency will prevent this, but most wizards probably don't have that one.

VoxRationis
2014-04-20, 02:32 PM
Dude...dude...dude...you forgot your blue text.

Blue text? Why would that be sarcastic? I know this forum loves the line of thought "Wizard=win," but even you guys have to recognize that a level 1 wizard without spells is essentially helpless. Heck, even a level 1 wizard with spells isn't going to win all the time against a level 1 fighter, depending on how everything plays out.

Rubik
2014-04-20, 02:39 PM
To be serious, though, you might try this:
1. Optimize fighter for UMD and initiative.
2. Scroll of time stop (or a contingent time stop, if you want to be even faster)
3. Scroll of wall of stone to put the wizard in a dome
4. Scroll of transmute rock to mud
5. Scroll of transmute mud to rock
6. Contingent antimagic field

Of course, some contingency will prevent this, but most wizards probably don't have that one.The rock block will protect the wizard from the AMF.

torrasque666
2014-04-20, 02:47 PM
Yes, but it will also prevent any one else from rescuing the wizard through magical means. And depending on how much mud there is, the wizard would end up suffocating as transmute rock to mud has a verbal(which the wizard can't speak if he has no air), a somatic(if the wizard is completely restrained he can't make the gestures) and a material component.

HaikenEdge
2014-04-20, 02:56 PM
Clearly explains why wizard wears a cone hats. They're made out of lead.

Rubik
2014-04-20, 02:59 PM
Clearly explains why wizard wears a cone hats. They're made out of lead.You mean giant amounts of tinfoil, shrunken via Shrink Item. That's why it's called the tinfoil hat trick.

Zweisteine
2014-04-20, 04:31 PM
The rock block will protect the wizard from the AMF.
I don't think it would. At least, it wouldn't matter, or you could easily prevent that loophole. Just put a hole in the mud before turning it to stone. If that won't work, you can rely on the fact that a Wizard unable to move probably can't cast most of their spells. To prevent the contingent teleportation effect, simply put a pair of dimensional shackles on them before putting them in the rock. (Though a scroll of dimensional anchor is probably better, because it's cheaper, and you probably don't need it for so long anyway.)

New method:
In the time stop, dump a bucket of sovereign glue on the wizard's head, and some more on his component pouch, and some more on his backpack. His fingers are probably a good target as well.

cosmonuts
2014-04-20, 05:13 PM
I have a level 20 fighter build that will wreck a level 20 wizard any day of the week.

I call it the mage slayer. The build is fighter 1/wizard 19.

That will wreck any and all wizard 1/commoner 19 all week.

Captnq
2014-04-20, 05:31 PM
I'm sure someone will pass a rule in pathfinder to prevent the sword thing from working against wizards.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-20, 05:46 PM
I'm sure someone will pass a rule in pathfinder to prevent the sword thing from working against wizards.

Because the poor squishies really need the help. Look how soft and defenseless they are. Aw, look, it's mumbling! Wait... Is that bat poop?

CyberThread
2014-04-20, 09:16 PM
Ewwww..... Vrock lit the poop on fire, just look at his hand! Bad wizard ! bad! use bufflo chips if you need to be warm!

Kane0
2014-04-21, 07:10 AM
"Living well is the best revenge."

Therefore, when you've reached level 5 and the wizard is starting to really outshine you, retire. Even a skilled worker only earns 1gp/day. Your 9,000 GP of WBL should see you well provided for. If he keeps adventuring, it's likely that he'll die before he settles down. So, stay on good terms with him, hopefully he'll name you in his will.

Actually i really like this idea. Start off your career well and help him get into power, then retire when he surpasses you and continue to scratch each other's backs as mecessary. Chances are you'll both be happier and wealthier for it.

Shinzutalos
2014-04-21, 08:45 AM
I have a level 20 fighter build that will wreck a level 20 wizard any day of the week.

I call it the mage slayer. The build is fighter 1/wizard 19.

That will wreck any and all wizard 1/commoner 19 all week.

Can I sig this? This is absolutely glorious.