PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 How to make a fancy Crescent Moon Character

Frostwolfeh
2014-04-20, 12:21 AM
I thought it would be a fun character to make. It would be level 25 with 3 million starting gold. I am thinking of using the Exoticist Fighter variant and a dual wield ranger as the base classes for this. I have a 42 point buy. Any 3.5 source book, oriental adventures, savage species, and dragon compendium. Any race and template.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-04-20, 09:45 AM
So, I assume you mean the sword&dagger weapon style feat from C.Warrior, and not the Ninja of the Crescent Moon prestige class from 3.0...

That's...a lot of required feats. For starters, I'd suggest dipping if not focusing your levels in Swordsage from Tome of Battle. At level 1, it gets Weapon Focus with all the weapons of any one of its disciplines. The Shadow Hand (SH) discipline offers both dagger and short sword, so that'd give you two feats required right there. SH is actually the only one to have dagger in its list at all sadly; I was really hoping to find you something that had dagger and scimitar or longsword.

For the TWF feats, Gloves of the Balanced Hand from Magic Item Compendium are 8000 gp and if you have TWF, give you Improved TWF. You could then use that to take Greater TWF if you wished, though the style feat doesn't require it.

Not sure there's a way to get Imp. Disarm as a bonus feat to bypass its normal requirements other than 6 levels of Monk (yuk!).

For the main class chassis, I'd suggest either Swordsage, Warblade, Swift Hunter (Ranger + Scout with the Swift Hunter feat), or Daring Outlaw (Swashbuckler + Rogue, with the Daring Outlaw feat).
Swordsage gives you Tiger Claw maneuvers to help with moving and full attacking and also to get bonus attacks and rend. Warblade does the same and has full BAB but half the maneuvers. Warblade does add the option of the Stormguard Warrior feat, which is quite potent, as well as access to White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge, the two most powerful maneuvers in Tome of Battle.
Swift Hunter, you basically would dip Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1 for pounce or Cloistered Cleric 1 for Travel Devotion in order to fuel your full attack skirmish damage. You'd also be able to ignore precision damage immunity of your favored enemies (so pick undead, constructs, etc... as favored enemies).
Daring Outlaw would play similar to Swift Hunter except instead of looking for ways to move and full attack (still handy to have some for round 1 of combat), you'd want ways to ensure sneak attack, like flankers or the blinking spell effect. You'd want rogue's penetrating strike variant in dungeonscape to do half damage to SA-immune foes.

EDIT: The other advantage of dipping or main-classing swordsage is you can then easily acquire Shadow Blade feat, to add Dexterity bonus to damage with SH weapons on top of Strength bonus. Which would include both the short sword and the dagger.

Sir Chuckles
2014-04-20, 11:38 PM
DM here.
I am allowing usage of variants of daggers and short swords as substitutes for these kind of feats, as well as a way of expanding the availability of these abilities, as well as tempt my players into exploring different characters. It's already working. This guy has almost always played archers in the past.

So for Shadow Hand, things like the triple Dagger or broadblade short sword will count. Really, anything that is a dagger or shortsword.