PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight: Recreating a Dragon Age item for PF/3.5

Beowulf DW
2014-04-20, 10:57 AM
All right, it seems quite a few people on these forums have played Dragon Age, so some of you may already know what I'm talking about.

There is a belt in Dragon Age II with this description:

There are more famous swords than you could count, there are helms beyond numbering, and there are breastplates, daggers, and even mystical footwear that roll immediately off the tongue. There are storied rings, gloves, and even bags invoked around a camp's common fire. But belts? There are very few noteworthy belts. It was here that the dwarf Thaulid Hammerspur decided he would make his mark. Here, he thought, between the tunic and the trousers, I will stake my claim.

He was familiar with the state of the art, of course; as an artificer making a name for himself in Orzammar, he had access to the typically robust record-keeping of the forges. He knew of the Drunkard's Cinch and the Pouchpaw, but there was no poetry to them, no lineage. They were parlor tricks, the domain of hawkers and pawns. He wanted a belt whose buckle gleamed with purpose, but what purpose? He worked on it from time to time, waiting for inspiration to strike. In the meantime, he needed something to keep his pants above the knee and though he might as well wear the damned thing.

And he did so until, after an especially memorable night at Tapster's Tavern, he managed to fall into his own forge. Shoveling out his remains, they found among the grey ashes his belt, somehow mercifully preserved.

Hindsight is a belt possessed of a strange, slow intellect. Whatever would have killed the wearer, does, and at the very moment, the belt develops a resistance that would have saved it owner. No one knows how Thaulid managed this, and at this point, it would be difficult to ask him. When the belt is held in the light, just so, the leather, reveals a grisly catalogue etched in glinting lyrium:

Thaulid Hammerspur, fire.
Gorgut the Wizened, poison.
Vil Arak, stabbed forty-three times.
Haliath Baronet, witches.
It went on like this for many years, until it fell into your possession. Your temporary, temporary possession.

In the game itself, the belt is useful, but you eventually outgrow it. However, the implications of this description are staggering. This could easily be an artifact, or even the center point of an entire campaign. For example, a warlord kidnaps a bunch of innocents to put the belt on them and kill them in different ways to eventually make himself utterly invincible through use of the belt.

The question is, how to replicate those abilities and how far should they be taken? DR, Spell Resistance, maybe energy resistance would probably be requirements, but how much is too much?

AbsolutGrndZer0
2014-04-20, 12:16 PM
Hmm, sounds fun... I think it would depend on whether you wanted it to be a minor artifact or a major artifact. So, as a major I'd do the following for the base belt...

Fire Resistance 20. This way, falling into the forge he'd be protected, but vs. a Great Wyrm Dragon he'd not be immune to the fire.
DR 15/Slashing stabbed to me says dagger, so DR 15 is generally enough to protect you from daggers, yet if a rogue sneak attacks you, way worse than simple stabbing... you are still somewhat hurt (although... immunity to crits could come about from a rogue killing you!).
Poison Immunity isn't TOO powerful IMO so it works for a major.
Spell Resistance I'd say 35 for a major artifact. This way, high level witches can still affect you if they roll well, but most magic you're protected from.

Now, as a small aside, I might add a curse to it, minor but while wearing it (and you CAN take it off) you have a -4 luck penalty to all saves. "Your temporary, temporary, possession." It wants to improve itself, so it's trying to kill you. Haha.

Oh, and in your example with say like you put the belt on an innocent then fireballed them. Put the belt on another, fireballed them, etc. I would think the belt wouldn't keep stacking. It's already protecting from Fire. Try something else.

Oh, and as for a method to destroy it... one must commit suicide (and be able to get past the defenses it provides!) while wearing it knowing full well that in doing so their soul will be destroyed along with it, no resurrection not even by the Gods.

Beowulf DW
2014-04-20, 01:14 PM
Hmm, sounds fun... I think it would depend on whether you wanted it to be a minor artifact or a major artifact. So, as a major I'd do the following for the base belt...

Fire Resistance 20. This way, falling into the forge he'd be protected, but vs. a Great Wyrm Dragon he'd not be immune to the fire.
DR 15/Slashing stabbed to me says dagger, so DR 15 is generally enough to protect you from daggers, yet if a rogue sneak attacks you, way worse than simple stabbing... you are still somewhat hurt (although... immunity to crits could come about from a rogue killing you!).
Poison Immunity isn't TOO powerful IMO so it works for a major.
Spell Resistance I'd say 35 for a major artifact. This way, high level witches can still affect you if they roll well, but most magic you're protected from.

Sounds good. Thank you.

Now, as a small aside, I might add a curse to it, minor but while wearing it (and you CAN take it off) you have a -4 luck penalty to all saves. "Your temporary, temporary, possession." It wants to improve itself, so it's trying to kill you. Haha.

That sounds pretty awesome, actually. What happens if you somehow manage to die of old age?

Oh, and in your example with say like you put the belt on an innocent then fireballed them. Put the belt on another, fireballed them, etc. I would think the belt wouldn't keep stacking. It's already protecting from Fire. Try something else.

What I meant was to continue to use different methods. Freezing, Electricity, falling, etc. to eventually offer protection from everything.

Oh, and as for a method to destroy it... one must commit suicide (and be able to get past the defenses it provides!) while wearing it knowing full well that in doing so their soul will be destroyed along with it, no resurrection not even by the Gods.

Now there's something I had never considered. Perhaps we could make it a bit darker? The Belt itself claims the souls of the victims to power its defenses?

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-20, 02:02 PM
but how much is too much?

With Hindsight... there is never to much :smallsmile:

As to stating the belt out i think AbsolutGrndZer0 has it pretty well down pat (and the simple yet totally final way to destroy it is very nice)

And though artifacts are typically the realm of the gods in D&D world its not a 100% rule, and this could easily turn from a minor magical item that a dwarf made until over the centuries it became a bonified artifact (a cursed one at that).

It could very easily take center stage as a thing the PC's must deal with, because something that could theoretically make its owner invincible would have wars fought over its possession and if the wrong person got a hold of it... well killing a few hundred slaves from a conquered enemy to make the belt even more powerful never made any other evil warlord shed a tear so why would it start now.:nale:

About the only edit I would do to the belt is make the negatives to save actually accumulate. -1 for the first two conditions, -2 for the next two, -3 for the two after that, etc... that way as the belt gets more and more powerful it gets better and better at killing its owners all the while making them near god like in their immunity (plus that stops players from eventually beating the BBEG and just using the belt themselves)

As to the old age death... technically granting immunity to death from old age isnt that big of deal, but you could make it where the belt allows the user to continue to age (suffering the penalties from that) but can never die from it, so eventually after 10 or so more added age catagories they are basically just stuck because they cant even move under their own power yet still suffer until some other poor sap takes the belt and they dissolve to dust :smallbiggrin:

AbsolutGrndZer0
2014-04-20, 02:06 PM
Sounds good. Thank you.

That sounds pretty awesome, actually. What happens if you somehow manage to die of old age?

What I meant was to continue to use different methods. Freezing, Electricity, falling, etc. to eventually offer protection from everything.

Now there's something I had never considered. Perhaps we could make it a bit darker? The Belt itself claims the souls of the victims to power its defenses?

Maybe after someone did manage to die of old age it might protect you from dying of old age but not aging itself, but only while wearing it.. so say you're venerable... better never take it off... cause you never know, soon as it comes off... you might just drop dead.

And yeah, I knew what you meant, was just clarifying I'd not let things ever increase.

As for the souls thing, yeah that might be somewhat interesting... maybe that's why the names are there... the souls are trapped and that causes the names to manifest. Maybe also to give a reason to destroy it, it would release all the trapped souls, BUT the one destroying it would be destroyed too.