PDA

View Full Version : [DWAiTaS] [IC] Let's Do the Time Warp Again

lord pringle
2014-04-20, 12:41 PM
The four travelers stand in their vessel. Their T.A.R.D.I.S. is currently hovering through the vortex, with no intended destination. The central pillar hums and vibrates and the walls resonate slightly.

Anyr
2014-04-20, 08:01 PM
Not all of the travellers were standing still. The Time Lord known as "Ky", for instance, was engaged in a frantic dance around the central console. When you only had one pilot to do the work of six, even hovering could be tricky. After manipulating a few dozen more controls (seemingly at random), he eventually slowed to halt, spun around, and addressed the assembled crew.

"O-okay, we've settled into a holding pattern. Now we can talk. So, how's everyone doing so far? Any questions, comments, concerns, etc?"

Tigger
2014-04-20, 10:30 PM
"Any questions, comments, concerns, etc?"

As she heard the last question of the person that went by the strange name of Ky, Eugenia was reminded of a conversation she had had with Dr Mason around her eighteenth month. Henry, as she used to call him, has explained to her that, now that she knew how to read, it was time to her to realize that teaching her anything was going to be impossible if she spent more time asking questions than listening to answers. He had told her that, from now on, she should wait until one of her teachers gave her permission to ask questions, and then she should try to count the number of questions she felt she had to ask. If that number was over ten, she should only ask what he had called “the only question worth asking when one is exploring the realm of human knowledge”.

Sure, it looked like she was outside of the realm of human knowledge for now, but she had decided to believe that, even though what was happening to her made very little sense at this point, the principles that had guided her life up to now would still be relevant. She therefore went ahead and asked the Question:

“Mister Ky, what books would you advise me to read on your people, their civilization and their technology, and where would I be able to find them? I am looking for something synthetic and well referenced.”

As she asked her question, she looked once again around her. This place really was amazing, and, as Dr Mason used to say, amazement is the anticipation felt when one understands that he still has a lot to learn. Based on what she had seen since entering this “ship”, she had only just started learning.

DSmaster21
2014-04-21, 12:33 AM
I have been looking about very intently as if looking for something in particular and also inquisitively watching Ky and the others.

Do you have any food somewhere? I can't remember the last time I ate. (Sorry couldn't resist:smalltongue::smallamused::smallredface:) How does this machine work? What made you (Ky) react like that to this thing (nonfunctional vortex manipulator on my wrist)? I mean it doesn't seem to work, or at least I think it doesn't. Is this normal for you (Any/All Characters)?

I pause to take a breath.

Yawielas
2014-04-21, 01:17 AM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110914010104/buffy/images/a/aa/Faiths7.jpg

Fred stands holding on to the railing near the door, watching the strange column in the middle of the impossibly large room rise and fall with a humming sound. Mouth open, she takes her eyes off the energy laden console for a moment, looking at the young man dancing around pressing buttons and pulling levers, then turns her gaze to the little girl in the dated clothes sounding like a professor, then finally to the man she'd met earlier on the street. Looking back to Ky, she says: "Questions.....yeah....what the he** is this place?! Who are you people? Is this some kind of candid camera thing?"

Anyr
2014-04-21, 09:28 AM
Ky did his best to handle the barrage of questions. He wasn't used to being the centre of attention.

“Mister Ky, what books would you advise me to read on your people, their civilization and their technology, and where would I be able to find them? I am looking for something synthetic and well referenced.”

"T-that's rather a hefty subject. My people's history stretches back many hundreds of millions of years. It would likely take your entire l-lifespan to gain a firm grasp of it. But if you insist on trying, I'd recommend the 'Encyopaedia Gallifreya' as a starting point. There's a full set of bottles in the ship's library."

Do you have any food somewhere? I can't remember the last time I ate. (Sorry couldn't resist:smalltongue::smallamused::smallredface:) How does this machine work? What made you (Ky) react like that to this thing (watch)? I mean it doesn't seem to work, or at least I think it doesn't. Is this normal for you (Any/All Characters)?

"Uh, yes, there's plenty of food. It's mostly Gallifreyan, though. The selection of Earth food is unfortunately rather limited. Though I think I've got something in one of my pockets...hang on...Ah yes, here it is."

Ky threw a small green shiny packet to Kean.

"Apparently they're called 'crisps'. Sorry if they're a little battered. As for your *ahem* 'watch', that's what led me to you in the first place. It's giving off a t-temporal signal which caught the attention of my TARDIS. D-do you really know nothing about it?"

"Questions.....yeah....what the he** is this place?! Who are you people? Is this some kind of candid camera thing?"

Ky blinked. Truth be told, he wasn't really sure who this girl was. He vaguely recalled her boarding along with the time agent. Ah well, too late to fix that now. She'd just have to come along for the ride. Trying his best not to be intimidated by her aggressive tones, Ky answered her questions in order.

"Y-you're inside a TARDIS: It's a ship which travels through time and space. I suppose I'm technically its captain (though that word still sounds wrong to me). You can call me 'Ky'. I'll let the others make their own introductions. I also have no idea what a 'candid camera' is, or whether we have one on board. We do have a fine selection of normal recording devices, though, if those would of use.

Oh, and, erm, W-welcome aboard; I suppose."

Tigger
2014-04-21, 10:57 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtP3BeZuce3yVJKGK2PhwUu-tQN2sIDqXPC0bjXYrFsLJCxXI5

Eugenia felt a bit guilty for the poor man. He was trying to be civil and had just been subjected to a grotesque questioning, part of which she was responsible for. She decided to make up for it by not asking the obvious question (Bottles?) and looking a bit foolish (She would instead go to the library, find the “bottles” - probably an approximation of the “translation circuit” he had talked to her about when she had asked him how he was able to speak English if he was from another planet - and get started on this pretended “entire lifespan” of work. She had learned more in her six years than most people in their whole life, so she knew she was up to the task.).

Instead, she turned towards the other people present in the Control room. The woman was dressed like a floozy, but then again, Eugenia did not know a lot about these things and was just repeating what she had heard other people say. She looked a bit flabbergasted, and even though Eugenia usually did not mix with that kind of people, it seemed like they were going to share this endeavour, and there was no reason to be a pompous snob for the time being.

“Hello, mademoiselle, I think, in all this confusion, no one has taken the time to formally introduce us to each other. My name is Eugenia Mason and up until a few days ago, I was a student at New College in Oxford, circa 1950. I trust you will believe me when I say that I am grown beyond my years and hope that you will hence address me as you would any other mature person. I assure you that what mister Ky just said is, to the extent of my current knowledge, a fair representation of our current predicament. I too felt some doubt and anguish at these words, but you may rely on my experience and save yourself any unnecessary distress.”

There, that should put her at ease. The man, on the other hand, was the main culprit in the barrage of questions that had overwhelmed that poor mister Ky, and seemed especially worried. He had been gesturing at his watch during his outburst, but she hoped that the food would put him at ease for the next few minutes. She took a look at his wrist and understood why he was a bit taken aback by the object he was wearing. It looked like nothing Eugenia had ever seen, and she felt that approaching him in that genial manner that men seemed to share when speaking around a drink (Dr Mason had sometimes let her drink a lemonade while the team was enjoying a glass of whisky) might be appropriate.

“As I was saying to the lady, old sport, nothing to worry about. You’re perfectly safe in here and mister Ky is a great fellow on whom you may rely. I’m sorry to say that I am totally unable to identify the make of your watch, but I’m sure the Captain will be able to enlighten you if you give him a breather. By the way, I’m Eugenia.”

While she was reaching to shake his hand, Eugenia was putting all her childish charm behind her impression of a fifty-year old man. People seemed to think this one was a laugh and she sure felt that the current atmosphere could have used some levity. The sooner everyone was calmed down, the sooner she could get to the library.

Yawielas
2014-04-21, 12:24 PM
Fred stares at Eugenia. ".......Sure.....I'm in a time machine and you're from 1950. From the university no less. Why wouldn't I believe that?" She looks at the others, smirking a little, then turns serious again when they don't seem to be in on the joke. "Fine...I'll play along. I'm Fred. From, you know, now. Now'ish." She looks to Ky. "Aren't you a little young to be a captain?"

DSmaster21
2014-04-21, 01:54 PM
Ky did his best to handle the barrage of questions. He wasn't used to being the centre of attention.

"Uh, yes, there's plenty of food. It's mostly Gallifreyan, though. The selection of Earth food is unfortunately rather limited. Though I think I've got something in one of my pockets...hang on...Ah yes, here it is."

Ky threw a small green shiny packet to Kean.

"Apparently they're called 'crisps'. Sorry if they're a little battered. As for your *ahem* 'watch', that's what led me to you in the first place. It's giving off a t-temporal signal which caught the attention of my TARDIS. D-do you really know nothing about it?"
"

Kean wipes his mouth after eating a crisp and looks at Ky "Thank you, I think I am hungry. I have no idea what this thing on my wrist is. All I can tell about it is it doesn't seem to do anything I feel it should. I can't remember much aside from waking up with a throbbing here (gestures to his black eye) and then her (looking over at Fred) helping me to my feet. Sorry about all the questions. I just.. this feels familiar and something about it makes me afraid."

“As I was saying to the lady, old sport, nothing to worry about. You’re perfectly safe in here and mister Ky is a great fellow on whom you may rely. I’m sorry to say that I am totally unable to identify the make of your watch, but I’m sure the Captain will be able to enlighten you if you give him a breather. By the way, I’m Eugenia.”

While she was reaching to shake his hand, Eugenia was putting all her childish charm behind her impression of a fifty-year old man. People seemed to think this one was a laugh and she sure felt that the current atmosphere could have used some levity. The sooner everyone was calmed down, the sooner she could get to the library.

Kean shakes Eugenia's hand saying "Nice to meet you. My name is Kean. I am sorry if I frightened you. I.. just can't remember but all this is sort of.. I feel I have seen things like this before. *Laughs Nervously* I'm sure between you and Mr Ky was it? we'll be fine."

Kean looks over at Fred "Based on your reaction though this is not normal to you either? Maybe this involves us because we were some sort of former child-prodigies. (Looking at Ky) I mean you're still a teenager and (Eugenia) as you said you are advanced beyond your years. (back at Fred) Did you have some special skill or something when you were younger? If I did I would have no idea."

Anyr
2014-04-21, 02:28 PM
"Aren't you a little young to be a captain?"

Ky had been expecting this question. After all, he looked about the same age as Fred herself. When a (seemingly) fellow teenager introduces themselves as 'captain', few would let it pass without comment; Especially if said teenager is nervous, unimpressive, and speaks with a slight stutter.

"F-far too young. It's a position I only hold by default. You see, e-everyone else is gone."

There was something about the way he said 'everyone'. It carried a lot of weight.

"But nonetheless, this is the duty that's been forced upon me. And I intend to fulfil it as best I can."

Kean looks over at Fred "Based on your reaction though this is not normal to you either? Maybe this involves us because we were some sort of former child-prodigies. (Looking at Ky) I mean you're still a teenager and (Eugenia) as you said you are advanced beyond your years. (back at Fred) Did you have some special skill or something when you were younger? If I did I would have no idea."

"It has nothing to do with age. I'm s-simply looking for suitable people to travel with me."

Or accidentally kidnapping them, in Fred's case. Hopefully she wouldn't make too much of a fuss about that.

Tigger
2014-04-21, 03:03 PM
Even if the situation felt stable enough for her to make a run for the library and start trying to make sense of all this, Eugenia knew that it would be in poor taste not to ask that good mister Ky to expand on the rather maudlin statement he had just made. One could not let his fellow travelers make such revelations without inquiring a bit more.

“Mister Ky, you say that your people is gone, which strikes me as either an understatement for a fate from which they cannot be brought back, or as an imprecise term which means that you have been unable to reach them. If it is the former, I do not wish to intrude on your grief and will let the matter rest. But if it is the latter, the matter might not be as desperate as you fear, and we may well be able to help you in trying to find a trail leading to them, wouldn’t you say? You surely have something like that in mind, or why would you have asked us to join you in your incredible ship?”

If she could make herself useful in a way that was of importance to him, Eugenia was confident that Ky would be more inclined to teach her what he knew about the universe. And for the moment, it looked like he knew a lot more than her.

Yawielas
2014-04-21, 03:46 PM
Fred snorts when Kean asks her if she had a special talent when she was younger. "Talent....yeah....I was a real prodigy." She smirks. Looking to Ky as he answers her question, she frowns. "Gone, huh? Well, captain Kirk.....where's this ship going? Anyplace exciting? I'm just saying, though....If I'm getting Punk'd, I expect to get paid."

Anyr
2014-04-21, 04:07 PM
Ky appreciated Eugenia's attempt to bolter his morale. Though he'd only known the child for a short while, he already felt a strong connection to her. Giving her a weak smile, he nodded.

"You're right. It's important not to lose hope. I don't know for certain that they're...gone. But you see, we Time Lords share a bond with one another. All my life, I've been able to feel the presence of my people, throughout Gallifrey and the Universe beyond. But now..."

He trailed off. There was no need to finish.

Fred snorts when Kean asks her if she had a special talent when she was younger. "Talent....yeah....I was a real prodigy." She smirks. Looking to Ky as he answers her question, she frowns. "Gone, huh? Well, captain Kirk.....where's this ship going? Anyplace exciting? I'm just saying, though....If I'm getting Punk'd, I expect to get paid."

"It's 'Ky'. And for the moment, we're heading for my home planet. If the talk I've heard on other worlds is true, though, we won't be there long.

Right, I've stalled long enough. Let's get this over with."

With reluctance that showed in every movement, Ky began to manipulate the central console again. It was time to head for Gallifrey.

DSmaster21
2014-04-22, 09:39 AM
"It's 'Ky'. And for the moment, we're heading for my home planet. If the talk I've heard on other worlds is true, though, we won't be there long.

Right, I've stalled long enough. Let's get this over with."

With reluctance that showed in every movement, Ky began to manipulate the central console again. It was time to head for Gallifrey.

Kean munches another crisp and inquisitively watches Ky dash about the console for a moment before asking "Is there anything we can do to help? That looks like a lot of work."

Yawielas
2014-04-22, 02:18 PM
Fred watches Ky do the console jig again, then takes in the whole room, and the alieness of it. She purses her lips, then moves over to one of the seats and sits down, apparently accepting the situation. "Should we like fasten our seatbelts or something?" She looks to the little girl. "Perhaps you should buckle up." Turning to Kean, she asks:"You said this felt familiar? Does that mean you're an alien to? It's so hard to tell these days."

Tigger
2014-04-22, 04:00 PM
Apparently there was to be no respite for her to start her studies. There surely would be another occasion, and going to an alien planet should be enough to quell her curiosity about this strange turn of events.

Yes, perhaps she should “buckle up”. Unfortunately, this place obviously had not been built with six year olds in mind, and she was not really certain that the seatbelts would keep her from flying into the room and colliding with the humming machine at its center.

“Miss Fred, would you mind if I sat in your lap? I’m not sure I would be able to properly harness myself in one of those seats.”

And, with these words, she climbed on the knees of the young woman.

After all, she did not play the small child card nearly enough, and her personal safety could be at stake.

lord pringle
2014-04-22, 06:48 PM
As the buttons are pressed, a cloister bell rings. On every screen, the Old High Gallifreyian for "Error: Dead World" pops up. The T.A.R.D.I.S. lurches into action sickly, before breaking into a violent off-course sprint. It spins wildly before suddenly slamming to a halt. The T.A.R.D.I.S. fires off a feeling of pain to her Time Lord, before her lights dim and shut off, leaving only the emergency lights on.

Anyr
2014-04-22, 07:07 PM
"Auugggh!"

Ky was of course standing when the TARDIS lurched. The Time Lords (in their infinite wisdom) had designed their control rooms to give the pilot no safeguards whatsoever in the event of a crash. As a result, Ky was sent flying across the room, and into a succession of walls. He eventually came to rest beside the main doors, looking much the worse for wear.

"Ugh...What...what was..."

With an effort, he pulled himself upright and staggered towards the central console. The emergency training which had been drilled into him at the Academy managed to make itself heard above the ringing in his ears. Assuming none of the crew needed help, Ky would run through the standard procedure: Check ship's status; Try to restore main power; And scan to see where in blazes they'd crashed.

DSmaster21
2014-04-22, 07:08 PM
As the buttons are pressed, a cloister bell rings. The T.A.R.D.I.S. lurches into action sickly, before breaking into a violent off-course sprint. It spins wildly before suddenly slamming to a halt. The T.A.R.D.I.S. lights dim and shut off, leaving only the emergency lights on.

Kean picks himself up off the floor and says to Ky "I get the impression that was not what you intended. What does this mean about your people?" Kean glances over toward Fred and Eugenia "Are you alright? Kean looks back at Ky "What about you?"
{IC Note To Self: Sit down and buckle up before this thing starts moving next time, don't stand there like a git munching crisps and asking if you can push some buttons.}

Edit: [OOC: Fixed some punctuation and added some compassion toward the the party of which half of us were strapped in.]

Yawielas
2014-04-23, 12:53 AM
Fred, surprised at first to have a child crawling onto her lap, instinctively holds on to her when the machine, or ship or whatever, comes to a crashing stop. Looking to Kean, she says:"Think so...what the he** happened? Where are we?" She looks to Ky.

Tigger
2014-04-23, 02:49 AM
In a way, the crash had been Eugenia first experience of danger, and she was not sure she cared very much for it. She had been fairly shaken, both figuratively and literally, and owed her lack of injury to the young lady holding her in her arms. She rested her head against Fred’s shoulder for a few seconds, then looked up at her face and smiled.

Turning her attention towards the room, and the strange bells that were ringing with a fearful sound, Eugenia could see Sir Ky pulling levers and pressing buttons in a frantic manner, and doing so while grinding his teeth through the work. Maybe he had not been as lucky as her.

“Sir Ky, you seem to have injured yourself. Let me have a look at you, I have some medical training. We would not want the only person able to fly this contraption incapacitated while we’re stranded God knows where.”

Anyr
2014-04-23, 07:09 AM
Kean picks himself up off the floor and says to Ky "I get the impression that was not what you intended. What does this mean about your people?"

"The readout said 'Dead World'. N-no more words are needed."

And that, it seemed, was that. Ky was unwilling to discuss this topic any further.

“Sir Ky, you seem to have injured yourself. Let me have a look at you, I have some medical training. We would not want the only person able to fly this contraption incapacitated while we’re stranded God knows where.”

"I'm fine. Please, worry about yourselves instead."

Ky didn't look fine. Whether he admitted it or not, he was obviously in a lot of pain right now; In more ways than one.

Tigger
2014-04-23, 07:59 AM
"I'm fine. Please, worry about yourselves instead."

The strain, both physical and emotional, was clearly showing through Ky’s stoïc façade, and Eugenia knew from her readings that if he kept on this path, he would inevitably be crushed by the pain, the guilt and the loneliness. And where would that leave them? Stranded in the middle of nowhere and nowhen, in a machine none of them could operate (given enough time and a few pointers, she was convinced she would eventually know how to navigate it, but she would much prefer doing this as a side project than as vital necessity), they would not be able to survive for a long time.

“Sir Ky,” she said, waving around her “only you were busying yourself as the ship crashed, and we were all safely seated. I myself was kindly protected by Miss Fred to whom I owe my present unscathed state. Please have a seat and rest for a spell while I take a look at you.”

Eugenia tried to sound as concerned as she could. The truth was that, in addition to the need to make sure that their captain was all right, she was eager to gather some first-hand information on the biology of their host.

Yawielas
2014-04-23, 09:13 AM
Fred shakes her head a little. "Just Fred. The miss makes me feel like a school teacher." She looks at Ky, nodding in agreement that he should sit down. "You went flying. You could have a concussion, or something."

Anyr
2014-04-23, 09:35 AM
Ky turned from the console in order to personally assure Eugenia and Fred that he was perfectly fine. Unfortunately, moving so quickly caused the room to (from his perspective) lurch in a most distressing fashion. He just barely managed to avoid collapsing to the floor; Opting instead to collapse into a chair. Slightly abashed, he reluctantly beckoned Eugenia closer.

"...Fine. But m-make it quick."

Tigger
2014-04-23, 10:06 AM
As she approached Sir Ky and took his wrist in her hand to check his pulse, Eugenia saw the difference in size between her hand and Ky’s and was reminded of the fact that this person was entrusting his health to a child. Such a show of confidence moved her, as she had often been scorned on her Earth when she offered services in important matters. People were fine with showing her as a circus animal, but no one took her seriously enough to give her anything of importance.

She would do her best and try not to disappoint him.

Ingenuity (5) + Medicine (3) + 2d6 = [roll0]

Yawielas
2014-04-24, 02:00 PM
Fred raises an eyebrow as Eugenia gives Ky a medical check up. "So, you went to med school to? Not just the uni, then..."

Tigger
2014-04-24, 03:28 PM
As she examined Ky and became more and more surprised at what she was discovering, Eugenia said, trying to sound somewhat casual:

“Actually I did not follow medical studies Fred. But there was a mandatory First Aid class in Oxford, and I was still adjusting to the place when they scheduled it for me a month in advance, and I was under the impression that one was supposed to go to the class with a basic understanding of the subject. I read a few manuals from the Red Cross, expanded on it a bit with some books that were in the library and volunteered a few hours at the local dispensary to get a feel for the thing. The class was not what I expected it to be, but I can deal with basic injuries and illnesses just fine.”

Yawielas
2014-04-24, 03:39 PM
"Cool," Fred smiles, deciding to just give in to the madness of it all.

lord pringle
2014-04-24, 05:59 PM
It doesn't look like there's anything physically wrong with Ky.

Tigger
2014-04-25, 01:23 AM
"Well, Sir Ky, except for a few bruises, I would say you're perfectly fine. Rest for a few minutes while you tell us what you would recommand we do at this point. Do you know of any other dwelling places of your people? Or maybe some sort of central hub where we could gather information?"

Anyr
2014-04-25, 08:34 AM
"There's no time for rest. I've w-wasted enough already. And right now, I'd recommend just getting back on our feet. M-my personal problems can wait."

So saying, Ky stood up and started fiddling with the console again. He wanted to complete the emergency checks which had been interrupted before.

Yawielas
2014-04-25, 02:27 PM
Fred stands up and walks a round in the console room, looking curiously at the doorways that seem to lead deeper into this place. She turns towards the door where she entered, and takes a deep breath. "So....wanna see what's outside? We must've crashed into something..."

DSmaster21
2014-04-25, 03:37 PM
"There's no time for rest. I've w-wasted enough already. And right now, I'd recommend just getting back on our feet. M-my personal problems can wait."

So saying, Ky stood up and started fiddling with the console again. He wanted to complete the emergency checks which had been interrupted before.

Fred stands up and walks a round in the console room, looking curiously at the doorways that seem to lead deeper into this place. She turns towards the door where she entered, and takes a deep breath. "So....wanna see what's outside? We must've crashed into something..."

Kean has been deep in thought but looks up now at Fred. "Sounds good. is it possible to go outside, Ky? If it is safe we should go investigate and you can work on whatever you need to do to get us back on our feet."

Anyr
2014-04-25, 03:40 PM
"Just give me a minute to s-scan the exterior..."

Assuming the scanner was still working, that is.

lord pringle
2014-04-25, 05:30 PM
"Just give me a minute to s-scan the exterior..."

Assuming the scanner was still working, that is.

All non-essential systems (anything not the infinite size, Life support and translation circuits) are broken.

Anyr
2014-04-25, 05:49 PM
Knowing the full extent of the damage only worsened Ky's depression. No wonder the crash had staggered him so much. He'd likely been feeling an empathic echo of the TARDIS' own injuries. His poor vessel deserved better than this.

"On second thoughts, you'd b-better take a look. It looks like we won't be going anywhere for a while."

Yawielas
2014-04-25, 06:01 PM
Fred looks at Ky, then nods a little and walks over to the door. She wonders briefly if she'll be able to breathe at all, but is too curious. She opens the door and looks outside.

lord pringle
2014-04-25, 11:27 PM
Outside is a forest, or at least what used to be one. The trees are toppled for as far as you can see, and there are animal corpses scattered about. You hear a man shouting in the distance, but you can't yet see him.

DSmaster21
2014-04-26, 02:07 AM
Outside is a forest, or at least what used to be one. The trees are toppled for as far as you can see, and there are animal corpses scattered about. You hear a man shouting in the distance, but you can't yet see him.

{OOC: Going with the assumption that I can hear it too}

Kean walks over to the doors and calls a loud "Hello" Kean thinks for a second about the futility of shouting at a barely distinguishable voice. "Ky, do you have anything to amplify our voices? I think someone or something is out there."

Tigger
2014-04-26, 03:02 AM
As she stepped into the open and looked around her, Eugenia could not shake the feeling that judging from the landscape, the species of the trees, the climate and the accent of the “hello” she was hearing, she should at least have a faint idea of where they were and even, seeing the devastation around her, when they were. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on her memory.

Considering the girl is a walking encyclopedia, this should be not too hard to figure out, right?

Ingenuity(5) + Knowledge(3) + 2d6 = [roll0]

Yawielas
2014-04-26, 10:15 AM
Fred wanders a little way from the TARDIS, looking at the toppled trees. She frowns, seeing the scattered animal corpses, then turns to look at the space/time ship to see if there's any outward damage. "Someone's upset...shouting. Not an alien, I think, although I can't make out what he's saying."

Anyr
2014-04-26, 05:04 PM
Kean walks over to the doors and calls a loud "Hello" Kean thinks for a second about the futility of shouting at a barely distinguishable voice. "Ky, do you have anything to amplify our voices? I think someone or something is out there."

"W-why exactly do you want to draw its attention? Wouldn't it be better to s-stay quiet, and hope it passes us by?"

Unlike certain maverick rebels, Ky wasn't in the habit of looking for trouble. Whatever was out there, he doubted it would be any help in fixing a TARDIS.

lord pringle
2014-04-27, 06:28 PM
As she stepped into the open and looked around her, Eugenia could not shake the feeling that judging from the landscape, the species of the trees, the climate and the accent of the “hello” she was hearing, she should at least have a faint idea of where they were and even, seeing the devastation around her, when they were. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on her memory.

Considering the girl is a walking encyclopedia, this should be not too hard to figure out, right?

Ingenuity(5) + Knowledge(3) + 2d6 = [roll0]

You know exactly where you are.

Tigger
2014-04-28, 12:29 AM
Just like that, the pages of the Kulik report started to appear in her mind. Siberia, June 30th 1908 (well, considering they were in Tsarist Russia, June 17th, but she knew she would sound pedantic if she started to make such remarks). The Tunguska Event. The most powerful explosion in the written history of mankind, a thousand times more powerful than the Hiroshima Bomb. And no one knew the cause, even though most believed an asteroid had burst in the air. And she was here, probably, judging from the state of decomposition of the animals around here, only mere hours after the event. Pure knowledge, unaltered by unreliable witnesses or degradation of the evidence, just standing there, right there, hers for the taking and the publishing. Who would make fun of her and tell that she was just a child with a good memory when she explained one of the greatest mysteries of the twentieth century?

Shaking with excitement and bursting with enthusiasm, she could not believe what Ky had just said. Stay quiet? Hope it passes by? Sure, the man was having a bad day, but this was unacceptable from their captain.

“Sir Ky, I trust that you are only saying this because your knowledge of human history is lacking. We are in the vicinity of ground zero of an unexplained explosion that occurred in the beginning of the century in Siberia. This is just the sort of thing one dreams of his entire life. So put yourself together and let’s go have a look. We need samples of the soil near the explosion, and the man we are hearing call will probably be able to give us a reasonably useful testimony. Let’s not waste any more time.”

Looking at Fred and Kean and tilting her head to indicate where she was heading to, Eugenia started to make for the man shouting, still unable to believe her luck in being there and then.

Yawielas
2014-04-28, 12:48 AM
Fred looks at Eugenia, then suddenly bursts out laughing. "Unexplained explosion, huh? Well, I've got a pretty good idea what happened..." She looks back at the TARDIS.

Tigger
2014-04-28, 03:55 AM
Well, Miss Fred may be strangely dressed, but she was clearly quite sharp.

“Fred, I agree with you, the coincidence between our crashing here and the event seems to indicate that the most likely explanation is that the crash of our ship caused this. On the other hand, this is just conjecture at this point, and, even if we did cause this, there is still a lot to be learned by going to the epicenter. And it would be rude not to check on this man.”

Anyr
2014-04-28, 07:21 PM
“Sir Ky, I trust that you are only saying this because your knowledge of human history is lacking...”

Actually, it was Ky's spirit of adventure that was lacking. He tended to favour the slow, careful approach to exploration; As opposed to the much more popular 'ooh look, a shiny button!' approach. So with that in mind, he turned to give Eugenia a lecture on the importance of not letting curiosity overwhelm good judgement...

...only to find that she'd already run off. With a strangled cry of panic, Ky dashed out of the TARDIS after her. He had a feeling that his future would contain many moments like this.

"Eugenia! W-wait for me!"

DSmaster21
2014-04-28, 08:02 PM
Kean, seemingly about to burst with a sudden flash of thought, slows down and lets Ky catch up to him. "Something feels wrong. If Eugenia is right and our crash caused this shouldn't we already be at the epicenter. If we skidded there should have been two impacts, one when we hit the ground and one when we stopped. If we bounced we should have been launched everywhere. Everything happened rapidly but if either had occurred it is unlikely that Fred could have kept her grip on Eugenia after a succession of impacts or two massive impacts. It is also equally unlikely that neither of us were unharmed. Also how did the man out there survive being close to the epicenter There were animal corpses near your ship but no sign of scavengers anywhere nearby, how would a man survive being close enough to the center to get there if if no animal are near enough to scavenge the corpses where we were?" Horrified by this thought Kean starts to run after Fred and Eugenia.

{OOC: Sorry about the word salad post. Just some thoughts I had. Yes, I am that player that says but why and argues for real world physics and overthinks everything. Which is why I mostly GM. That way I can spend weeks obsessing over every little thing in my head and then ending up throwing out my notes ten minutes before the session and just free-styling it.}

Yawielas
2014-04-29, 12:56 AM
Fred follows after Eugenia, keeping an open eye on their environment. Remembering a piece of information the girl had offered on this place she suddenly blinks: "Wait! Siberia? I don't speak Russian!"

Tigger
2014-04-29, 02:19 AM
That was a good question, and one of the first that she had asked when boarding the Tardis.

“This won’t be a problem Fred. Sir Ky, being a time-travelling space alien, does not speak English and, as you’ve seen, this is not a problem. I understand that some sort of telepathic device is providing translation for us, and making it seem like everyone is speaking our mother tongue. Which, let me tell you, makes my studies in foreign languages seem pretty futile at this point.”

No need to tell her that she did not speak Russian either, aside from the basics. She probably would look uncultured if that piece of information got around.

I'm doing some of the exposition if that's all right with everyone.

Also, I am assuming that we are a few meters ahead of Kean and Ky, hence my not commenting on his remarks, which Eugenia would have otherwise obviously done. IC, Eugenia thinks what she says about the crash being the most probable cause of the event. OoC, of course, we all know that something else is probably afoot :smallsmile:.

lord pringle
2014-04-29, 06:11 PM
You can hear another shout, this one clear to Kean and the others up front. "We have more survivors! Praise God!"

Yawielas
2014-04-30, 02:41 AM
"Really? Neat." Fred looks at Eugenia, then turns towards the shouts. "Yeah. They're speaking English." She waves. "Over here!" Looking over her shoulder to see if the boys are coming as well, she silently hopes she won't end up in some Siberian prison for destroying the forest.

Tigger
2014-04-30, 05:21 PM
Survivors? Either the people they were about to meet (probably members of a nomad tribe) were wrong, or the reports had been overly optimistic when they had affirmed that the Event had caused no casualties, due to the lack of inhabitants in the impact zone. Eugenia, even more intrigued upon learning this, picked up the pace and prepared herself to be as adorable as she could be when being a little girl was a way to be instantly liked by strangers.

“Come on, Fred. Let’s meet our new friends.”

Anyr
2014-05-01, 06:14 AM
"Why are they *pant* all so eager to run off and meet strangers? Don't they understand that it's *pant* dangerous out here?"

After much unseemly running, Ky eventually caught up with the two wayward girls. He drew up alongside them, panting heavily, just after they'd called out to their 'new friends'. He'd really been hoping to stop them before they attracted attention. Ah well, too late for that now. He'd just have to protect them as best he could.

Yawielas
2014-05-03, 07:38 AM
Fred nods at the boys when they catch up, then turns towards whoever was shouting.

lord pringle
2014-05-03, 09:43 AM
The man is wearing a cheap suit and a strange looking pin on his collar and a metal ball around his ear. He's carrying a hunting rifle, and as he sees you coming towards him he exclaims, "My god, they're human! " He moves his hand down from his uncovered ear and stares at you, mouth agape, "Who are you? Why are you here?"

Tigger
2014-05-03, 10:19 AM
Although she was tempted to introduce herself like a proper person, Eugenia was almost certain that puzzling even more the man with a gun in his hand by presenting herself as an adult was not the best idea ever. It was time to get creative and be a little bit more sneaky.

Throwing her arms around Fred’s legs, she decided to go all out.

“Mommy, mommy, is the man going to hurt us?”, she said in her most frightened voice, hoping to appease the man and make him see them as friendly.

Anyr
2014-05-03, 11:39 AM
Out of habit, Ky very almost corrected the stranger's assumption about them all being human. Deception didn't come naturally to him. Eugenia, on the other hand, seemed all too eager to spin a web of lies for this newcomer. Meanwhile, Ky was throwing up his hands and shouting assurances of innocence.

"Don't shoot! We're just simple travellers who've got a little lost!"

Yawielas
2014-05-03, 11:50 AM
Fred looks down at Eugenia clinging to her leg. She raises an eyebrow. Mommy?! Just how old did the kid think she is? She doesn't object, though, just looks at the man with the shotgun. "I don't think so..."

DSmaster21
2014-05-03, 02:17 PM
Kean looks around at the devastation. "What happened here?"

{OOC: Sorry I am still pretty tired.}

Tigger
2014-05-03, 03:01 PM
Eugenia put on a her best air of frightened-but-brave little girl, advanced towards the man and curtsied as well as she could, saying, hoping to sound her age, “Hello kind sir, my name is Eugenia. I am sorry if I offended you when I asked my mother if you were going to hurt us. That was not very nice of me. It’s just that this has been a very scary day.”

Yawielas
2014-05-05, 02:59 PM
Fred looks at the rifle and starts calculating whether or not she'll be able to take him down before he can fire, should he prove hostile. "Why were you surprised we are human? Why wouldn't we be?" She looks at the man.