PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I need a healer.

Doomboy911
2014-04-20, 05:06 PM
So, our party's healer has quit the team because her character was getting hit on by another character (This is the day to day stuff) she was a witch and did our healing sort of. With her gone one guy is planning on becoming a paladin. This would be fine but the man is chaotic evil, pure evil, goes into the bowels of scum to slay a man he doesn't even know because a girl doesn't share his feeling. So I really can't see that being a thing but it may very well be a thing.

We're doing this because we need a healer but I've found a crazy solution, one a wand of cure serious wounds cost 21,000 gold. A hireling of the appropriate level to cast the same spell the same amount of times costs 14,000 gold (7th level person times 4th level spell times 10 gold = 280 gold, times 50 = 14,000) This is a bit insane. I wanted to know if anyone spotted a flaw in this plan?

Ravens_cry
2014-04-20, 05:14 PM
If you are OK with mostly out of combat healing, 4 cure lights wounds wands will give you more total healing for a heck of a lot cheaper than the wand of cure serious.

Doomboy911
2014-04-20, 05:21 PM
No, the party insists that they'll need cure critical wounds.

Spore
2014-04-20, 05:25 PM

What's your party composition? I can't think of many setups that require that much incombat heals. (Actually single digit AC barbarian without DR comes to mind).

Eldariel
2014-04-20, 05:28 PM
Caster Level 1 Wand of Cure Light Wounds heals average 275 points for 750gp. That's cheap as hell. So yeah, get some of those, heal out of combat, focus your combat actions on putting the enemy out fast, profit. This is by far the most economical way of keeping a party stacked and indeed, how it's usually done in e.g. Pathfinder Society. Anybody with UMD or the spell on class list (including anybody with 1 level in Ranger, Pally or such even if their class didn't reach the spellcasting) can use those. And you can have a backup Scroll of Heal (CL 15 for maximum effect, at 4500gp, but the minimum 3300gp at CL11) for when the proverbial **** hits the proverbial fan.

Keneth
2014-04-21, 12:41 PM
You shouldn't need a wand of cure serious wounds in combat. Not only is such healing extraordinarily expensive, as you yourself have noted, but healing is almost always a waste of combat actions (aside from heal and similar spells). The best way to win fights in D&D is to kill or disable enemies before they get the chance to do the same to you.

If you absolutely need healing in combat because your party can't cope, ask the GM if he'll allow one of the party members to take leadership to recruit a healer.

Doomboy911
2014-04-22, 08:54 AM
Alright our party consists of one ranger (me) I'm focused on dealing long distance range and being focused on a bit of battlefield control along with independence. (I can survive a good deal of stuff by my lonesome). I've got the beastmaster archetype going so I'll have a coulple animal companions in time.

We've got a fighter who's some kind of duelist, he's got two rapiers and debuffs people with sword tricks and than rolls half a dozen criticals (the end part isn't something his character does it's what his dice do).

Than we've got a fighter Archetype of the Rough Rider (jokes would be made but that has to do with Theodore Roosevelt so no jokes) He's got the giant magical crow that shoots lightning, the dm saw it fit to let him have it at the beginning of the game because it's cool. I'm not allowed to get a dire bat because I'll apparently be stepping on his toes.

We've got a magus who may be an archetype but I can't confirm that so I won't, Focus is on buffing his super magic sword and dealing damage.

Finally we've got a thief, I know nothing about her really. Apparently she has some wands that can be used for healing but she feels it's a waste of her turn for her to heal someone rather than get a sneak attack off.

Ironic considering when I last played as a Buff cleric I was supposed to just heal anyone when they took the smallest amount of damage rather than buff myself and attack.

killem2
2014-04-22, 09:25 AM
C/E people can heal just fine. If your friend the paladin, doesn't think a Chaotic Evil character would heal his party members in battle to suit his survival, he's doing it wrong. Though, not that it matters, that guys sounds like another Chaotic Anti-Hero Jerk.

The rogue is correct. It is a waste of her time to heal you in combat. Come talk to her after battle. Sounds like a party of DPS hounds that doesn't want to take any moment to try and act tactically to prevent and avoid damage rather than out race it.

It doesn't really matter what this message board says. Even if healer is a waste of time in combat, no matter what stats they pull out and show you, here is what the bottom line is:

That player has made another player feel uncomfortable being at that table and now she's gone and that is wrong.

I would make the person who hit on the healer do it, as they are the cause of all this. I don't see that going down well either. I would start talking tactics with all those fighters. And if tactics are being used, and you are still being handed your asses to such a point that someone is being needed to heal in combat, then it's time to talk to the DM.

Doomboy911
2014-04-22, 10:05 AM
Oh we talked with him about it and went on and on and there was a session and a half of out of character drama. I think that's why he wants to become the party healer but he's completely unfit for the role, he can't cleric for crap due to low wisdom and intelligence, he's chaotic evil so becoming a paladin would make for a dramatic shift in his alignment and honestly the paladin is a tank not a healer, he manages himself. If I were to put anyone to be more independent then the ranger it would be the paladin.

Tactics wise we've got a great set up, I pin the enemies down with ranged pin. The duelist picks off anyone I miss, the magus smashes the toughest looking guy and the charger finishes him off while the rogue kills the guys being denied their dexterity bonus by my arrows.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-22, 11:26 AM

Then whoever insists on Cure Critical Wounds should probably start healing. :smalltongue:

Honestly, there are plenty of ways to get healing for every character class, from wands to potions to healing belts.
If someone thinks his WBL and build resources are too precious to be spend on staying alive he'll have to take what healing the rest of the party is willing to offer.

It's one thing to expect the cleric to toss a heal your way if not doing it means your death.
It's another thing entirely to expect him to spend all his actions and spell slots on healing you because you couldn't be bothered to budget for defense when building your character.
It's even worse if that means he'd have to change his entire build and playstyle.

You can certainly hire an NPC to perform the healbot role.
It would be a lot more beneficial to get your players to the point where they are at least somewhat self-sufficient though, not just in this campaign but also for any future ones.

I suggest giving the party the choice between splitting the cost of an NPC healer or everyone getting some healing items.

Morbis Meh
2014-04-22, 11:57 AM
Ugh... why doesn't the CE dude become an Oracle then? If he wanted to go paladin then he must have some charisma meaning he would be able to cast as an oracle. Healing in combat is over rated, like many have said a wand of CLW is more than enough for out of combat use.

OverdrivePrime
2014-04-22, 12:32 PM
Seriously, all this sounds way suboptimal, from the out-of-character terribleness, to the awful tactics around healing.

I'm going to second the oracle pickup. Alternatively, bard levels are always fun, and bards make decent healers. Oracles do it way better though.

If none of those are attractive, talk to the DM about letting the guy who caused the problems take levels of crusader (3.5 Tome of Battle, rather easy to port over to Pathfinder) and have him take Devoted Spirit healing maneuvers.

Keneth
2014-04-22, 03:38 PM
paladin is a tank not a healer

That's a negative, paladins make neither good tanks nor healers. :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2014-04-22, 07:59 PM
That's a negative, paladins make neither good tanks nor healers. :smalltongue:

There's a Guide of mine that would have swords with thee. :smalltongue:

NoACWarrior
2014-04-22, 08:10 PM
Then whoever insists on Cure Critical Wounds should probably start healing. :smalltongue:

Honestly, there are plenty of ways to get healing for every character class, from wands to potions to healing belts.
If someone thinks his WBL and build resources are too precious to be spend on staying alive he'll have to take what healing the rest of the party is willing to offer.

It's one thing to expect the cleric to toss a heal your way if not doing it means your death.
It's another thing entirely to expect him to spend all his actions and spell slots on healing you because you couldn't be bothered to budget for defense when building your character.
It's even worse if that means he'd have to change his entire build and playstyle.

You can certainly hire an NPC to perform the healbot role.
It would be a lot more beneficial to get your players to the point where they are at least somewhat self-sufficient though, not just in this campaign but also for any future ones.

I suggest giving the party the choice between splitting the cost of an NPC healer or everyone getting some healing items.

I'll second the healing belt - they are pretty economical.

I'll put forth the custom spell emulating via command word healing magic item -
1800 x 6 x 11 / 5 (one use per day) 23670gp

Or if you want to make it a charged item as well (50 charges) - 11880gp

Anyone can use it, so nobody needs to be the healer of the party. The DM may ban multiple people using it per day (I would make the uses per day global, so it can only be used once per day period).

Keneth
2014-04-22, 08:57 PM
There's a Guide of mine that would have swords with thee. :smalltongue:

Bah, oradins are not paladins, they're oradins. That's like calling gundolons summoners. :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2014-04-22, 09:10 PM
Bah, oradins are not paladins, they're oradins. That's like calling gundolons summoners. :smalltongue:

...fair enough.