PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building the Juggernaut

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-20, 06:35 PM
Alright so if any of you have seen my other threads you know I am working on an idea about a little girl and her robot companion/bodyguard/killing machine.
This is using PF feat progression and either PF or 3.5 classes.

Now we are gonna start this at level 5!
What I need is a class to start off with. Ironhide(the Warforged) will eventually be taking levels of Warforged Juggernaut (Might be taking all five unless I have a better option)

His purpose for which he was built was protection of and elimination of threats to his (Little sister? Mistress? Owner?)

His feats are going to be at level 1
Toughness (Flaw)
Troll Blooded (Flaw)
Adamantine Armor (1rst Level)
Power Attack (3rd Level)
Improved Bullrush (5th PF level)

Flaws are gonna be Murky Eyed and Shaky
He can use two Traits, and can have up to 2 draw backs which can be traded for Traits or a feat (House rule)

So what class should he be?
When should I enter into Warforged Juggernaut
And which and what Components and other things can I add to the Warforged to better aid his goal.

torrasque666
2014-04-20, 08:08 PM
Class, anything with a full BAB. That way you can take it at level 6. As for components, a Juggernaut is going to be slow. Even more so if you take the slow flaw. However, this can be mitigated with the Arachnid Chassis (eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Arachnid_Chassis). It gives him +30 land and a climb speed of 20 feet, in addition to a 1d8+STR at full attack bonus. Another thing you'll probably want, especially if the girl ends up as a caster, a Battle Visor (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Visor) could come in even more handy than normal. A Scorpion Brand (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Scorpion_Brand) will give it a reach attack, which will be handy. And then there is my favorite, the Clone Mask (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Mask). Because it gives a few extra HP and powerful build, as well as preventing flanking.

When it comes to Warforged Components(as long as its 3.5) I know what I'm talking about. For once.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 05:05 AM
I am thinking either Crusader or Warblade, but not sure which to start with, the Crusader's steely resolve ability actually would allow further use of this idea that he is indestructible.

Derpldorf
2014-04-21, 06:52 AM
This is just a bit of rambling on a build but...

Spirit lion totem whirling frenzy Barbarian 1 / dungeon crashed Fighter 6 / Warforged Juggernaut 5 / War Hulk 8

It "Protects" its charge by driving absolutely everything that coul remotely be seen as a threat through several walls.

torrasque666
2014-04-21, 07:02 AM
Considering we're essentially building a Big Daddy, that seems reasonable.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 07:34 AM
Why Dungeon crasher for 6 levels?
Yes the driving things through walls would be effective for a big daddy build.

The only reason I was considering Martial Initiators is due to their flexibility and kick butt maneuvers. Crusader for the idea this guy is basically a living breathing tank.

Given that we are giving it Regeneration and Immunity to Non Lethal, and with a 6000 GP ring of Book Warding his clothing would be resistant to fire and acid he is very durable and the maneuvers would accent and increase that. But yeah I guess given that the character has tank already in the build via feats and items he might not need the class.

lytokk
2014-04-21, 07:38 AM
I think warforged have 2 fighter substitution levels, which I believe lets you pick up additional warforged racial feats, levels 1 and 2. Its in Races of Eberron. Could be worth picking up in my opinion.

lytokk
2014-04-21, 07:40 AM
Oh, and a second thought, Crusader would be a good move to pick up some healing manuevers, since eventually you'll be immune to all spells from the healing subschool, and from potions. So it'd be a decent source of HP regen.

torrasque666
2014-04-21, 07:48 AM
I think warforged have 2 fighter substitution levels, which I believe lets you pick up additional warforged racial feats, levels 1 and 2. Its in Races of Eberron. Could be worth picking up in my opinion.

3 levels. 1,2 and 4.

Battle Hardened: Gives +3 to initiative and saves vs fear
Bonus Warforged Feat: Gives a bonus feat from warforged lists, meeting prereqs.
Body as Weapon: +2 on slam damage and damage done by attached components.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 07:54 AM
Ok I was always curious the Spirit Lion Totem (Gives Pounce) and Whirling Frenzy (Gives extra attack) does that mean you can bull rush (Or is charge a separate thing?) a foe into the wall and then once into the wall you hit them again? (Of course the wall part is in reference to the dungeon crasher fighter)

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-21, 08:17 AM
I am going to recomend a 2 level dip into reforged where the robot explores it's humanity and decides that it is a person too. The prereqs are fairly easy, and the second level restores the ability to be healed magically. Stop there, and you keep all the nice juggernaut immunity and loose the main drawback.

Derpldorf
2014-04-21, 08:31 AM
Why 6 levels? Let me see if I can find the rules for it...

Level: 2nd.
Replaces: fighter bonus feats at 2nd level and at 6th level.
Benefit: You excel at overwhelming traps, smashing through doors, and pushing aside your enemies. At 2nd level, you gain a +2 competence bonus on saves and to your Armor Class when attacked by traps. You also gain a +5 bonus on Strength checks to break a door, wall, or similar obstacle.
In addition, you gain a special benefit when making a bull rush. If you force an opponent to move into a wall or other solid object, he stops as normal. However, your momentum crushes him against it, dealing an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 4d6 points + twice your Strength bonus (if any).
At 6th level, the bonuses when dealing with traps increase to +4, and the bonus on Strength checks to break objects increases to +10. The damage you deal when bull rushing an opponent into a wall increases to 8d6 points + three times your Strength Bonus.

I personally find the level investment worth it in this sort of build, but you can always alter it however you like, it's just an initial thought on the matter an in no way fully fleshed out.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 08:35 AM
I see that makes sense I was curious because it delays the WFJ by two levels is why I was curious.

So how exactly would this combo work in combat?
I bullrush charge a foe into a wall thats part of a full attack, and then I just hammer them with my weapon for the rest of my full attack +1 because of whirling frenzy?
So level 7 I should have two attacks in my full attack option, one being the dungeon crash and the second as part of my full attack, then a third and final bonus attack outside my full attack right?

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-21, 08:46 AM
You want to go ETHER pounce barbarian OR dungeoncrasher fighter. The fighter has some nice bonuses, like the LARGE bonus to strength checks and such, and tends to hit harder. The barbarian tends to hit more though.

I would personally go one of two ways

Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Rogue 1 / Reforged 2 / Warforged Juggernaut 5

or

Fighter 6 / Warforged Juggernaut 2 / reforged 2 / warforged juggernaut 3

A bull rush is a separate action from a charge. You need some form of knock back, and meeting the size prereq is hard for warforged.

Derpldorf
2014-04-21, 08:52 AM
Ok I was always curious the Spirit Lion Totem (Gives Pounce) and Whirling Frenzy (Gives extra attack) does that mean you can bull rush (Or is charge a separate thing?) a foe into the wall and then once into the wall you hit them again? (Of course the wall part is in reference to the dungeon crasher fighter)

I'm not to familiar with pathfinder, and I've always had a problem fully explaining myself but... I'm sure I've seen a pathfinder feat somewhere that allows you to make a bullrush attempt in place of and/or in addition to standard melee attacks. If my admittedly shaky understanding of the rules involved are correct the order would go something like this,

1. Frenzy
2. Pounce ( which basically lets you full attack at the end of a charge)
3. Depending on what the feat actually states replace a number of attacks with bullrushes.

Edit: Ahhh, I found it. Bull Rush Strike. Looks like it only works on a critical....

Whelp, that bucks my idea I guess.

Second Edit - Actually found it.

Quick Bull Rush (Combat)
You can barrel into your opponent and follow this with an attack.

Prerequisite: Str 13, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: On your turn, you can perform a single bull rush combat maneuver in place of one of your melee attacks. You must choose the melee attack with the highest base attack bonus to make the bull rush.

Normal: A bull rush combat maneuver is a standard action.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 09:22 AM
Now this is from PF
Bull Rush

You can make a bull rush as a standard action or as part of a charge, in place of the melee attack. You can only bull rush an opponent who is no more than one size category larger than you. A bull rush attempts to push an opponent straight back without doing any harm. If you do not have the Improved Bull Rush feat, or a similar ability, initiating a bull rush provokes an attack of opportunity from the target of your maneuver.

If your attack is successful, your target is pushed back 5 feet. For every 5 by which your attack exceeds your opponent's CMD you can push the target back an additional 5 feet. You can move with the target if you wish but you must have the available movement to do so. If your attack fails, your movement ends in front of the target.

An enemy being moved by a bull rush does not provoke an attack of opportunity because of the movement unless you possess the Greater Bull Rush feat. You cannot bull rush a creature into a square that is occupied by a solid object or obstacle. If there is another creature in the way of your bull rush, you must immediately make a combat maneuver check to bull rush that creature. You take a –4 penalty on this check for each creature being pushed beyond the first. If you are successful, you can continue to push the creatures a distance equal to the lesser result. For example, if a fighter bull rushes a goblin for a total of 15 feet, but there is another goblin 5 feet behind the first, he must make another combat maneuver check against the second goblin after having pushed the first 5 feet. If his check reveals that he can push the second goblin a total of 20 feet, he can continue to push both goblins another 10 feet (since the first goblin will have moved a total of 15 feet).

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-21, 09:31 AM
Then yes, in pathfinder they changed the bullrush rules slightly.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 09:36 AM
d20 Srd
Bull Rush

You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge. When you make a bull rush, you attempt to push an opponent straight back instead of damaging him. You can only bull rush an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.
Initiating a Bull Rush

First, you move into the defender’s space. Doing this provokes an attack of opportunity from each opponent that threatens you, including the defender. (If you have the Improved Bull Rush feat, you don’t provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender.) Any attack of opportunity made by anyone other than the defender against you during a bull rush has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting the defender instead, and any attack of opportunity by anyone other than you against the defender likewise has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting you. (When someone makes an attack of opportunity, make the attack roll and then roll to see whether the attack went astray.)

Second, you and the defender make opposed Strength checks. You each add a +4 bonus for each size category you are larger than Medium or a -4 penalty for each size category you are smaller than Medium. You get a +2 bonus if you are charging. The defender gets a +4 bonus if he has more than two legs or is otherwise exceptionally stable.
Bull Rush Results

If you beat the defender’s Strength check result, you push him back 5 feet. If you wish to move with the defender, you can push him back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which your check result is greater than the defender’s check result. You can’t, however, exceed your normal movement limit. (Note: The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved. So do you, if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from each other, however.)

If you fail to beat the defender’s Strength check result, you move 5 feet straight back to where you were before you moved into his space. If that space is occupied, you fall prone in that space.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-21, 02:00 PM
OK gonna add the advanced template and off set with an LA buy off method. Even if cr1 does not increase cr over cr1 on normal races.

That and using +2 for str and con and -2 for cha and wisdom.
Rolled no lie 2 18s 2 16s and 2 14s