PDA

View Full Version : Shields question

Garagos
2014-04-21, 09:27 AM
I'm making a tank character (crusader/psychic warrior) for an upcoming gestalt campaign. I want to wield a heavy mace and heavy shield some of the time to take advantage of Shards of Granite when needed. My alternate weapon will be a glaive for when i want to use Expansion and threaten a lot of people with Thicket of Blades. What I'm wondering is can I wear a buckler all the time and just ignore its shield bonus while i'm holding the heavy shield? When I drop the mace and shield and draw the glaive the buckler will already be equipped to help retain a little bit of extra AC.

drack
2014-04-21, 09:49 AM
Yes, a buckler states that you can always use the hand and loose the AC bonus. I'll often have one on my casting hand for that reason. If it isn't masterwork you will still have the -1 armor check penalty though in addition to that for the other shield and such. Also can't get into enchantment silliness where you're only using one shield at a time but benefiting from two enchantments, but I figure you wouldn't be doing that anyways.

Garagos
2014-04-21, 10:39 AM
Thanks much, thats what I was hoping to hear/read. And yeah, I would never try to stack the effects of two magic shields like that :smallcool:

drack
2014-04-21, 10:47 AM
Yup, just mentioning it because it's one of the common lines of thought to benefit somehow from both when you have two shields.

torrasque666
2014-04-21, 11:22 AM
There IS a third party source, the Player's Companion by Technomancer Press, that does allow for duel wielding shields and benefiting from both. However, as its third party I'm not sure of the validity of it.