PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What fun things can you do as a free action?

drack
2014-04-21, 10:13 AM
So, what fun things can you do as a free action? (as a non-deity since they invented the free action and all)

iceman10058
2014-04-21, 11:21 AM
talk, taunt, etc

Zanos
2014-04-21, 11:24 AM
Fall, drop things.

Norin
2014-04-21, 12:03 PM
Cloud of Knives lets you make a ranged attack as a free action at the start of your turn.

Goes well with persist and add damage (SA, DFI, etc)

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-21, 12:05 PM
Evard's Menacing Tentacles lets you make 2 melee attacks with a 10ft reach per round as a free action. You also get 2 additional AoOs from them.

Ernir
2014-04-21, 12:07 PM
Trigger your crafted contingencies.

eggynack
2014-04-21, 12:08 PM
Kill someone with unearthly beauty (BoED, 110).

Jormengand
2014-04-21, 12:24 PM
Once you've leaped into the air as a move action from the stool that you dropped as a free action, after running up to the enemy as a move action, you may be able to end up several feet above the foe.

You can draw throwing weapons as a free action. You can drop throwing weapons as a free action. Alchemist's fire is a throwing weapon.

Please, someone tell me that you cannot actually do this...

drack
2014-04-21, 12:26 PM
Is drawing a throwing weapon really a free action? If it is I feel like a sucker for taking quick draw all the time... =p

WhamBamSam
2014-04-21, 12:48 PM
If you have Quicken Breath, you can use your breath weapon as a free action. The publishing time of Draconomicon seems to have allowed it to slip through the change from free action to swift action that other Quicken X feats got. The recharge time makes it not too much of an issue (dragon encounters need every little bit of action economy help they can get anyway), unless you then toss on the Ravening Dragon Psychosis from Dragon Magazine 313, which allows the dragon to use its breath weapon on three consecutive rounds before needing to recharge, allowing you to spam the breath weapon as many times as you have free actions during those rounds before having to recharge, and maybe a Persisted Dispelling Breath, so you can dispel everything forever.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-21, 12:50 PM
Is drawing a throwing weapon really a free action? If it is I feel like a sucker for taking quick draw all the time... =p

No. Shuriken can be drawn as a free action because they're treated as ammunition. Other thrown weapons are drawn as normal (move action or part of a move action at BAB 1+).

Gazzien
2014-04-21, 01:11 PM
Steal the World. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?142080-3-5-The-Lightning-Thief-Epic-Sleight-of-Hand-Abuse)

Jormengand
2014-04-21, 01:19 PM

Yeah, you need to take a feat to do it, but I didn't realise it worked with all weapons - thought it was just throwing weapons. Oh well.

Deophaun
2014-04-21, 03:08 PM
Sing the entirety of the H.M.S. Pinafore.*

*Not really.

Fates
2014-04-21, 03:17 PM
Two words: Chicken Infested

XmonkTad
2014-04-23, 12:57 PM
Quick Reconnoiter lets you make spot/listen checks as free actions.

Invisible Blade lets you feint (once per round) as a free action.

Gloves of storing/gloves of the master strategist lets you store and retrieve things from extra-dimensional storage as a free action.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-23, 01:08 PM
Sing the entirety of the H.M.S. Pinafore.*

*Not really.
Of course, white text, that's singing, not talking.:smalltongue:

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 01:13 PM
Two words: Chicken Infested

You forgot three words: Spell Component Pouch

Sith_Happens
2014-04-23, 01:21 PM
Eat a live spider (courtesy of the aforementioned spell component pouch if and only if you can cast Spider Climb).

EDIT: Or feed someone else a live spider.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-23, 01:29 PM
Eat a live spider (courtesy of the aforementioned spell component pouch if and only if you can cast Spider Climb).

EDIT: Or feed someone else a live spider.
That is why I always get that spell as an item or wand. *shudder*

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-23, 01:33 PM
You forgot three words: Spell Component Pouch

Yep... drowning the world in live spiders, bat guano, bits of line, small glass rods, marbles, etc all for the cost of a single free action

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 01:34 PM
Yep... drowning the world in live spiders, bat guano, bits of line, small glass rods, marbles, etc all for the cost of a single free action

The (arguably) most powerful item in D&D is a 10gp non-magical pouch.

Edit: though my preferred drowning medium would be bits of fleece.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-23, 01:51 PM
The (arguably) most powerful item in D&D is a 10gp non-magical pouch.

It's only five gold in 3.5e.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 02:12 PM
It's only five gold in 3.5e.

Well, would you look at that. Where did i get 10gp from?

Back on track, I have occasionally found it useful to drop my current weapon. There was this weird time i had a ranger loaded with weapons that he littered the battle field with for some reason. He would drop his current weapon so he could quick draw the best weapon for the situation. We all found it pretty funny.

dextercorvia
2014-04-23, 02:45 PM
Once you've leaped into the air as a move action from the stool that you dropped as a free action, after running up to the enemy as a move action, you may be able to end up several feet above the foe.

You can draw throwing weapons as a free action. You can drop throwing weapons as a free action. Alchemist's fire is a throwing weapon.

Please, someone tell me that you cannot actually do this...

Yes, you can drop all these things. They have no effect unless thrown, however. (A kind DM might let your Alchemist's Fire break on the floor and deal only the 1 splash damage.)

Brookshw
2014-04-23, 03:01 PM
Feed the world with tarts from aforementioned pouch.

Jormengand
2014-04-23, 03:05 PM
Yes, you can drop all these things. They have no effect unless thrown, however. (A kind DM might let your Alchemist's Fire break on the floor and deal only the 1 splash damage.)

Alternatively, equip your greater ring of jumping, quick-draw earthbreaker hammers from a bag of holding and drop them on the enemy to inflict falling damage, so long as you're high enough up (3 feet from the chair plus... is it 2 foot vertical reach above your head? So you only actually need to jump up five feet).

Actually affording the GRoJ, bag of holding and enough earthbreaker hammers is the hard part of doing this at first level. I'm sure that you can manage this without the GRoJ, and since boulders are definitely throwing weapons (if the hekatoncheires creature entry is to be believed) you can use those instead of earthbreakers. So, as soon as you can get a bag of holding, you should be able to do this.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 03:45 PM
Would dropping a rock on an upside down bag of holding work?

cause then all you need is rocks or a whale.

dextercorvia
2014-04-23, 03:49 PM
Quick Draw does not apply to pulling a weapon from a bag of holding. There is a difference between drawing a weapon and retrieving an item.

drack
2014-04-23, 03:52 PM
Indeed, however one can have many many many sheaths upon their person. (classic character example being with ~ a hundred weapons, many of which knives)

Chronos
2014-04-23, 07:54 PM
You can make a Sleight of Hand check at a -20 penalty as a free action. With just a little skill optimization (all you need is a +30 on your check), you can rob someone completely blind in a blink of the eye.

Flickerdart
2014-04-23, 08:20 PM
You can mount and dismount a horse as a free action if you can hit DC 20. This allows skilled riders to instantaneously travel anywhere in the world by taking the Pony Express.

However, this ability is deadly when combined with the Halfling Outrider's Leap from the Saddle, which lets you make an attack when you dismount as a free action.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 08:54 PM
if you can make a clone of yourself and hit a 100 sleight of hand skill check, you can go anywhere. It is a DC 80 skill check to move a willing adjacent creature 10 ft. and you can do it for free with the aforementioned -20 to your roll.

Norin
2014-05-02, 11:45 AM
if you can make a clone of yourself and hit a 100 sleight of hand skill check, you can go anywhere. It is a DC 80 skill check to move a willing adjacent creature 10 ft. and you can do it for free with the aforementioned -20 to your roll.

As stated earlier:

Steal the World. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?142080-3-5-The-Lightning-Thief-Epic-Sleight-of-Hand-Abuse)

Pretty sweet build! :smallbiggrin: