PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth the +1 LA? were..dip?

CyberThread
2014-04-21, 10:34 AM
Just looking over the savage progression bits, and we really don't advocate much in the way of abusing them, even if some juicy one level dips.

My main question today is ... .The were bear, boar, tiger, wolf....all of them on the first LA , grant you the animal form . Now this can have various advantages or disadvantageous, mostly in cheese, or the animal form not having combat or magical abilities.

But just like the divine minion template, it can get very cheesy.

I mean were-tiger gives you...

Wis +2, natural armor +2, alternate form (tiger), low-light vision, shapechanger subtype, weretiger feat (Alertness)

Were-wolf

Wis +2, natural armor +2, alternate form (wolf), low-light vision, shapechanger subtype, werewolf feat (Track)

were-bear

Wis +2, natural armor +2, alternate form (brown bear), low-light vision, shapechanger subtype, werebear feat (Run)

were-rat

+2 Wis, natural armor +2, alternate form (dire rat), low-light vision, shapechanger subtype, wererat feat (Alertness)

were-boar

Wis +2, natural armor +2, alternate form (boar), low-light vision, shapechanger subtype, wereboar feat (Alertness)

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-21, 10:52 AM
I would use LA buy off, then go for one every 3 levels, so 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 20th. You get an interesting feat and +2 wis/nat armor. Seems like a great choice for a druid. You are never more than 1 level behind the normal progression of spells, and exp is a river. +10 wis and natural armor is worth it. All the alternative forms are just icing on the cake.

Crake
2014-04-21, 11:05 AM
I would use LA buy off, then go for one every 3 levels, so 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 20th. You get an interesting feat and +2 wis/nat armor. Seems like a great choice for a druid. You are never more than 1 level behind the normal progression of spells, and exp is a river. +10 wis and natural armor is worth it. All the alternative forms are just icing on the cake.

Yeah, thats not how it works.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-21, 11:16 AM
You can buy off a point of LA after you take 3x your total LA in class levels. For a 1 LA penalty, you can remove it after 3 class levels. With the above, you only ever get more than 1LA, allowing you to buy it off every 3 levels before taking a new LA.

Abithrios
2014-04-21, 12:03 PM
You can buy off a point of LA after you take 3x your total LA in class levels. For a 1 LA penalty, you can remove it after 3 class levels. With the above, you only ever get more than 1LA, allowing you to buy it off every 3 levels before taking a new LA.

Let it suffice to say that this is a controversial interpretation of how LA buyoff works for characters whose LA would otherwise increase throughout their careers.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-21, 12:20 PM

While the rules are surprisingly silent on this issue i don't think a lot of DMs will allow you to have more than one strain of lycanthropy at once.

On topic: Certainly a good deal for a melee character that benefits from wisdom, like a swordsage or anyone with monk levels. A little iffy for spellcasters, but worth considering.
If LA buyoff is allowed it's a good deal for anyone who can qualify to take it.

With LA buyoff taking the second level after the first is bought off is also a good deal since it usually gets you at least 2 bonus feats, hybrid form and some DR.

Metahuman1
2014-04-21, 12:28 PM
Straight Progressing the LA and levels and buying off the LA as you go isn't a bad idea either, and would be really good on a Totemist or a Martial adept, or, well, most any melee really.