PDA

View Full Version : Does a Dvati pair make one skill check or two?

Banaticus
2014-04-21, 12:10 PM
Does a Dvati pair make one skill check or two, for Spot for instance?

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-21, 12:13 PM
It depends on the skill check. If it's something mental (such as sense motive, knowledge checks, spellcraft, ect), then they'd only get one check. But if it's a physical check (listen, spot, hide, move silently, ect) then they'd get two checks...because they have two bodies.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-21, 04:02 PM
It depends on the skill check. If it's something mental (such as sense motive, knowledge checks, spellcraft, ect), then they'd only get one check. But if it's a physical check (listen, spot, hide, move silently, ect) then they'd get two checks...because they have two bodies.

You'd also need to do double the checks to get both of them to do the action properly, such as both of them climbing up a tree.

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-21, 04:41 PM
They can also help each other on checks and get a larger bonus for doing so (+4 per 10 instead of +2 per 10)

Alex12
2014-04-21, 04:59 PM
They can also help each other on checks and get a larger bonus for doing so (+4 per 10 instead of +2 per 10)

Regrettably not true, at least not without some entirely reasonable houseruling.

"If a twin uses the aid another action to help his twin, he grants an additional +2 bonus (for a total of +4) on attack rolls or to Armor Class."
Emphasis mine.

You can still do some crazy stuff with them, though. That Shadow Hand stance that makes it so you count as flanking someone as long as both you and a buddy are adjacent to him works fantastically when you're getting the increased bonuses from both flanking and aid another.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-21, 05:07 PM
Regrettably not true, at least not without some entirely reasonable houseruling.

"If a twin uses the aid another action to help his twin, he grants an additional +2 bonus (for a total of +4) on attack rolls or to Armor Class."
Emphasis mine.

You can still do some crazy stuff with them, though. That Shadow Hand stance that makes it so you count as flanking someone as long as both you and a buddy are adjacent to him works fantastically when you're getting the increased bonuses from both flanking and aid another.

Does this also work for the improved flanking feats in PHB2?
This would make for an awesome jumping rouge lockdown artist.

Alex12
2014-04-21, 05:15 PM
Does this also work for the improved flanking feats in PHB2?
This would make for an awesome jumping rouge lockdown artist.

I see no reason it wouldn't.
Dvati are pretty much the perfect chassis for a flanking build.

malonkey1
2014-04-21, 07:25 PM
I see no reason it wouldn't.
Dvati are pretty much the perfect chassis for a flanking build.

Yes. These fellows far from "flunked" flank.

Alex12
2014-04-21, 08:22 PM
Yes. These fellows far from "flunked" flank.

Hilariously, their favored class really isn't the class they're best at. They don't really have anything that works really well with Bard, and the way they cast spells means that casters are suboptimal. (How often do you see that sentence typed out on this site?)
They make great rogues and other sneak attackers, and I speak from personal experience that they make fantastic Shadow Hand swordsages.

malonkey1
2014-04-21, 08:42 PM
Hilariously, their favored class really isn't the class they're best at. They don't really have anything that works really well with Bard, and the way they cast spells means that casters are suboptimal. (How often do you see that sentence typed out on this site?)
They make great rogues and other sneak attackers, and I speak from personal experience that they make fantastic Shadow Hand swordsages.

Yeah. I was playing a 3.P Gestalt game (my DM allowed each Dvati twin to be one side of the gestalt), so I had a Bard/Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage//Bard/Rogue/Arcane Trickster. It worked pretty darn well.

Banaticus
2014-04-21, 08:52 PM
If a twin uses the aid another action to help his twin, he grants an additional +2 bonus (for a total of +4) on attack rolls or to Armor Class.
Why would a Dvati pair want one to aid another on attacks (presuming that the original attack has a decent chance of hitting)? Is a +4 really worth getting to roll your attack again (and taking both for double damage if they both hit)?

malonkey1
2014-04-21, 08:58 PM
Why would a Dvati pair want one to aid another on attacks (presuming that the original attack has a decent chance of hitting)? Is a +4 really worth getting to roll your attack again (and taking both for double damage if they both hit)?

It is for ray spells, which you only get one attack with either way.

Alex12
2014-04-21, 09:17 PM

It is for ray spells, which you only get one attack with either way.

Also great if you're playing an initiator, and you've got just one big strike left before you need to recharge them, or otherwise are using a maneuver you really can't afford to have miss (say one of the Crusader healing strikes to bring an ally back into positives)