PDA

View Full Version : Kill Dr. Lucky (in progress)

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-08, 07:56 PM
I just bought the Kill Dr. Lucky (Cheapass Game's most popular game), and thought I might try and turn it into a SMBG. The basic gist of the game is that the good Dr. has invited you all to his house, and seeing as you all hate him for your various reasons, you are trying to be the first to off the poor guy. But he's named Lucky for a reason, and is thus very hard to kill. The rules will be forthcoming (tonight or tomorrow at the latest). But I wanted to figure out if anyone would like to play before I adapt the rules to work here.

Entrants so far (20)
Atreyu the Masked Llama
Silkenfist
Krystal Tiger
inky13112
Evnafets
EK
Death
J Muller
helgraf
Lord Herman
Obsidian Blade
Krursk
DLD
Alarra
Rumda
Captain Van Der Decken
Castaras
Weebl
Selrahc
Cult of the Raven

Maybes (2)
Deckmaster
Lord Magtok

First, I'd like to say there will be a map for the game, but I'm not going to make it until I know how many people are going to be playing so I know how big/how many rooms would be sufficient. Now, without further ado, here are the rules

Rules

1) Everyone will start in an entryway type room (cloakroom or something similar). Dr. Lucky will start in an undisclosed location in his mansion.

2) Every turn, each person will roll a d4 (I'll likely set up a dice rolling thread). Everyone can then move up to that many spaces (rooms and hallways). Each person has one free action every round with which they can either open/close a window or a door to the particular room they are in at the end of their turn. (except for the first turn since all windows and doors will start the game closed.)

3) Each room (but not hallways) will have one item that can help you kill the good doctor, and one item that will help you foil a murder attempt. Each turn you can choose which of the two items in the room (if avalible) you want to pick up. Once an item is used, it must be dropped and the user must move out of the room before being able to pick up the item again. An item that has been used/dropped is free to be picked up by anyone.

4) To be able to make an attempt to kill Dr. Lucky you must be in the same room as him. (Note: there may be items that have a range to them, and can be used provided you know the location of Dr Lucky. I'll elaborate a little more on this later). You can then use a lethal item you posses to try and kill him. Anyone in adjoining rooms/hallways that can see into the room via doorway (or window) can use an item to foil the murder attempt provided that the door/window is open. Once an item to foil a murder attempt has been picked up, the person carrying it can also drop it in a specified room. This item is now active and will automatically be used to foil a murder attempt even if that player is nowhere near the room the item has been placed in. In this case, the item can't be picked up by anyone else until it has been used to foil a murder attempt.

5) The same methods to kill Dr. Lucky can be used to incapacitate fellow players, but only if you are in the same room as them (or farther if you have a ranged item). Other players may try to foil that attempt as well ( I don't know why anyone would want to, but you can if you wish). A successful incapacitation attempt renders the incapacitated for 1d2 turns. Now here's where I want some input on this. I have two ways we can do this, and I'd like to have you guys vote since you'll be playing. The first way it to have the two people in question roll an odd numbered die. If the attacker wins, the attackee is incapacitated (and gets to keep his weapon used). If the attackee wins, then he/she is not incapacitated, and the attacker loses the weapon he used. The other option is that the attackee can give up one item of choice to prevent being incapacitated.

6) the first person to kill Dr. Lucky wins.

(Dr. lucky Location explanation: The only way to know where Dr. Lucky is, is for him to either enter a room you are in, or see him pass through the hallway into a room adjacent to where you are. Adjacent players automatically know where Dr. lucky is if a murder attempt is made. You do not know where Dr. Lucky is if he just passes through a room you are in, and into a hallway with multple exits.)

Ok there's the rules so far. If you have any questions or need anything clarified let me know. (I was a little random so I can imagine that some of you might.)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-02-08, 07:57 PM
I'm up for trying.

Lucky
2007-02-08, 08:05 PM
Yeesh, I leave for a few days and already people want me dead...

Silkenfist
2007-02-08, 08:30 PM
One of my favorite games implemented in SMBG? I'm in.

Krystal_Tiger
2007-02-08, 08:34 PM
Yeesh, I leave for a few days and already people want me dead...

When I read the title I just KNEW you would comment:smallbiggrin:

But yeah, that sounds cool PGCoD, i would play!

Deckmaster
2007-02-08, 08:38 PM
Interesting...I'd need to hear more about the rules before I consider playing.

inky13112
2007-02-08, 08:59 PM
Hmm I'm interested.

evnafets
2007-02-08, 09:02 PM
Registering interest.

For those interested, heres a link to the reviews/rule descriptions on BoardGameGeek: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewforum&forumid=63&objectid=257&objecttype=game

Lord Magtok
2007-02-08, 09:03 PM
Me too, but I'll have to hear the rules first.

Wow, simu'ed and just when you get the link, too.

Eldritch Knight
2007-02-08, 10:44 PM
Sounds fun.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-02-09, 01:09 AM
Interested, single personification of agelessness. Well, ok, I am interested in the game, but that sounded dull and like I was copying from people.

J_Muller
2007-02-09, 01:14 AM
Sounds great. Had this game and others by Cheapass for a while. Say, I wonder where those went...

Helgraf
2007-02-09, 03:40 AM
WIlling to give 'er a go.

Lord Herman
2007-02-09, 03:45 AM
Sounds fun. Count me in.

Obsidian Blade
2007-02-09, 03:46 AM
I'm interested, but would like more rules please :)

2007-02-09, 03:51 AM
Seeing as it's now 3AM and I'm beginning to get tired (and the burning desire to get the Alien Invasion thread up and running), the rules will be up tomorrow. Now, since I'm basically making these up on the fly for the most part. If y'all have any suggestions as to how the game might run smoother, please don't hesitate to let me hear your ideas.

Krursk
2007-02-09, 03:53 AM
I'm in for this

DarkLightDragon
2007-02-09, 04:50 AM
We get to try to kill Lucky? Sweeeeet... ((j/k))

Anyway, I'm interested. A nice way to get revenge for werewolf V. Use my crappy defence speech to lynch me and then use it to try saving someone else... >.<

Charity
2007-02-09, 06:09 AM
*Blam*

Got him

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/charity_013/LuckyLeprechaun.gif

Alarra
2007-02-09, 07:49 AM
Yes, okay. Cause I need more games.

Rumda
2007-02-09, 07:49 AM
yeah I'm in

2007-02-11, 01:49 AM
just letting you know I'm still here. I apologize for getting the rules to you late, but I went to the U of M wresting match last night, and when I got home I was so tired that I just forgot to get the rules put down. So the 1st post will be edited/updated shortly with the rules and list of participants so far. I'd just like to say that, I'm reserving the right to tweak the rules before the start of the game too. Also, if anyone has suggestions of how the game might run better with the rules supplied, please don't hesitate to let me know your ideas. This is still a work in progress.

Captain van der Decken
2007-02-11, 02:44 AM
Looks interesting. I'll give it a go.

Obsidian Blade
2007-02-11, 03:00 AM
I have a question: how long do you estimate this game will take?

Castaras
2007-02-11, 07:04 AM
I'm up for it!

Weebl
2007-02-11, 07:36 AM
Must... Play... SMBG...

Selrahc
2007-02-11, 09:23 AM
Saw this being played a while ago. I'll give it a shot.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2007-02-11, 06:32 PM
oo. can i play? sounds really fun...

2007-02-12, 01:38 AM
I have a question: how long do you estimate this game will take?

Honestly, I really don't know. I just thought this game up, and not having run it before I'm not sure how things will go.

Ok, guys, I've cut off recruitment because I think it will be a better game with not a ton of people. Now that I know how many people are going to be playing, I'll have the map created by Tuesday at the latest, and we can get this thing rolling.

Obsidian Blade
2007-02-12, 01:48 AM
Sounds good.

2007-02-22, 03:42 PM
finally, the map is done! Without further ado, here it is.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q287/buckeyefan06/KillDr.jpg

After making the map, I have a few things to mention/add to the rules.

1) all the room are numbered, and hallways are distinguished by letters. Now, I have cut the hallways into sections but each hallway as a whole will count as one space. If you end your turn in a hallway you must specify which section you are in. (unless y'all want to count each section as an individual space. We can doo that too). I am also going to use sightlines for the game as well (Ex: If you are in hallway section H you can see into rooms 19-22 and hallway K, but not hallway J or room 23.)

2) The only way to get to room 15 is by going up the stairs on either side (sections L and M). Room 15 is equivalent to a balcony and you can't enter room 14 or 16 from it. The doorway tha appears to be in room 15 is actually beneath it in room 16. From room 15, you can see into rooms 16-18 and hallway G (provided doors are open of course).

3) I am adding several secret passages in undisclosed locations. If anyone finds one, I will PM them that they have found it.

4) There is one room of note. Room number 27 is effectively a hedge maze. There is a random chance that if you enter that room you will get lost, and will have to remain there for 1d3 turns. If Dr. Lucky enters the hedge maze while you are lost, you automatically spot him, and homicide attempt will go as normal. If Dr. Lucky manages to stay alive, a lost person can follow him out of the maze even if their rounds of being lost is not up.

5) After the first turn, opening a door takes the place of your action for that round (if you open or close a door after the 1st round on a turn you can't pick up whatever is in the room.)
After each turn, I will update the map, making all open doors red and putting everyone's name where they are on the map. Which items are in which rooms will not be shown as will the location of Dr. Lucky. Those who see Dr. Lucky will be PMed and you can send your actions back to me then.

I've decided not to do the dice rolling forum thing. This is a SMBG and I'm going to take all rolls on faith. Play will go as follows. Each turn, everyone will roll, and move. All you have to do is post where you are moving to and what actions you are doing once you get to said location. After everyone has stated where they are going and what they are doing, I will hand out items, move Dr. Lucky and notify those who see him. If everyone is ready and still interested in playing, Round 1 will begin on Saturday the 24th and will continue until Monday the 26th at 8PM CST. If you've got any questions feel free to ask me.

Castaras
2007-02-22, 03:48 PM
I'm ready to go! :smallbiggrin:

inky13112
2007-02-22, 05:51 PM
I rolled a 4
Every time.
I'm just that good :smallsmile:
JK JK

Krystal_Tiger
2007-02-23, 01:24 AM
...how do you roll?:smallconfused:

Helgraf
2007-02-23, 07:31 AM
Well, the forum roller works kinda like this:

{roll}1d6{/roll}
OR
{rollv=Fancy text about your roll here}1d6{/rollv}

Only replace the {}s with [] in all places, thusly:

[roll0]
OR
[roll1]

2007-02-23, 01:54 PM
you can roll here on the forum, use invisible castle, or roll a d3 at home if you have one. (and yes they do exist as I know someone who has one).

inky13112
2007-02-23, 05:53 PM
[roll0]
it says to roll a d4 on the original post.

2007-02-23, 10:34 PM
It does. Well I know I tossed around a d3, but if I said d4 then that's what we'll go with.

Helgraf
2007-02-24, 01:15 AM
you can roll here on the forum, use invisible castle, or roll a d3 at home if you have one. (and yes they do exist as I know someone who has one).

I've got 2, and a d3+3 ...

Krursk
2007-02-24, 01:23 AM
Is it d4 or d3?
[roll0]
[roll1]

2007-02-24, 02:20 AM
ah we'll go with a d4. You guys don't have to roll on the forum if you don't want to, I'll take your word for your rolls if you want to do it that way.

Castaras
2007-02-24, 03:46 AM
So we just roll the dice then move that many rooms/hallways?

[roll0]

Cult_of_the_Raven
2007-02-24, 11:42 AM
okay, so I rolled a 1. where are we starting?

inky13112
2007-02-24, 01:03 PM
[roll0]

what do I do now?

Oh sweet I got a 4 first roll.

Helgraf
2007-02-24, 01:57 PM
I think we need to know our starting positions before we can get underway folks...

2007-02-24, 03:40 PM
I thought I said where we were starting sorry about that (it was originally my intention name all the rooms, but ended up doing the numbering instead). Y'all will be starting in room 18. Since we're going with a d4, I've decided that we'll count each hallway section as one space. I see I didn't specify a time for the game to begin, so let's say 5PM CST (which is about 2 hours from now).

evnafets
2007-02-24, 03:47 PM
Just to show my ignorance, do we all move at once, or one at a time?
How will we know what items are available to be picked up?
If it is all at once:
If more than one person ends up in the same room, will there be a fight over who picks up the items?
How do we determine the order of movement? For instance one player might open a door, and all players acting after that person can just go through it right?

2007-02-24, 04:39 PM
the way things will work is that everyone will state where they move and what action they want to take and then I will give out items and such. If two players want the same item in a room, the same thing happens as if one person wants to knock someone else out, and whoever wins gets the item. But there are 2 items (one weapon and one foil homicide weapon in each room to begin with) too. As long as the person that opens the door doesn't close it behind them, they can go through. Well, I hadn't thought of an orde yet, But, I'll assign everyone a number, ona d20 and roll, and get it that way. I'll have it posted soon.

Since we're getting close, and it's probably been a while since some of you have looked at the rules, I'd scan them over quickly before we start. If' any of you have question from here on out, please PM me with them.

EDIT: All right you homicidal maniacs, it's time to go find the good doctor....GO!!!!

2007-02-24, 11:45 PM
ok, here's the order of play. Since nobody has yet to post, I"ll extend the deadline for round 1 until Tuesday at whatever time I said previously.

Order of play
Atreyu the Masked Llama
Captain Van Der Decken
Weebl
Death
Krursk
Rumda
Alarra
Cult of the Raven
Castaras
Krystal Tiger
EK
Lord Herman
helgraf
DLD
J Muller
Evnafets
Silkenfist
inky13112
Obsidian Blade
Selrahc

Castaras
2007-02-25, 08:16 AM
I move through and to:

17, G, 5, A

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-02-25, 08:24 AM
[roll0] Rolling, moves coming soon.

20, H, 23

inky13112
2007-02-25, 11:05 AM
Wait, I think death's moves are impossible...

[roll0]

DAMNATION! I got a 4 just a second ago. Anyways I move into room 17, and since I didn't have to open the door can I pick up an item? I pick up the shiniest object in the room.

Captain van der Decken
2007-02-25, 12:15 PM
[roll0]

Damn. Okay, I move to 19, and pick up any item, I guess.

evnafets
2007-02-25, 02:49 PM
Rolling 1d4 [roll0]

Of course I get a 1 ;-)

Open the door between 17 and 18 (if it is not already open)
Move into 18.
Pick up anything that is left (probably nothing)

Rumda
2007-02-26, 03:51 AM
[roll0] rolling
move to I moving through 17 g and 23, opening any doors necessary

DarkLightDragon
2007-02-26, 04:51 AM
[roll0] Let's see what I get!

Yayness!

17, G, 16, J

Selrahc
2007-02-26, 07:25 AM
[roll0]

17 G 16 J

Yay, a 4 :smallbiggrin:

Helgraf
2007-02-28, 04:25 AM
*cracks his knuckles*
[roll0]

Helgraf
2007-02-28, 04:27 AM
And now, my move...
17 G 23 I - acquire a murder foiling weapon if available.

inky13112
2007-02-28, 08:45 AM
There have been nothing but 4's and 1's Coughcheaterscough! sorry I think I'm getting a cold...:smalltongue: Just kidding, but I thought that was a funny little thing about how its been rolling so far.

Death doesn't count.

2007-02-28, 05:04 PM
((ok, I know the round is supposed to be over, but since I haven't gotten even half the participants to respond yet, I'm going to give it a bit more time. And send a nudge to those who need to respond.))

Alarra
2007-02-28, 05:07 PM
[roll0]

Okay...okay...I'll play, I'm sorry....here's my roll and my action is:
over to 19

Hey...why's everyone putting their actions in spoilers? Are they sposed to be seeeeecret? Cause if so, I have been clicking on them all =)

Cult_of_the_Raven
2007-03-01, 09:38 AM
I make a 1.
I'll move into room 19, then.

2007-03-06, 01:49 AM
(( ok, I know I seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth, but all rumors are not true. I've just had some other things to do in real life and here on the boards. But I'm going to have the time to pay attention to this right now. I've sent a message to those who haven't posted yet. I'll give it another day or so, then do everything. Also, for those who haven't specified what type of action they want to take, I suggest editing your post. Otherwise I'll just pick an item for you at random [i'm assuming you'll all want to pick up an item of course ]))

Weebl
2007-03-06, 02:25 AM
grahhhh! Stupid internet!

[roll0]

I move to hallway A at the corner

Krursk
2007-03-06, 04:51 AM
Sorry, I can't seem to find the picture for where we all are

2007-03-08, 02:10 AM
((ok, we've had some people drop out, so I'm going to go with who we've got right now. I'll have things updated tomorrow some time.))

Edit: I've got the map updated, but need to work out the items. I'll have it up tomorrow, I Promise. We may have all the players we're going to keep, but I"ll bug some of those I haven't heard from yet.

2007-03-15, 12:11 AM
ok, first, sorry about the double post. Second, I really hate to do this, but it looks like I"m not going to have time to run this. I really wish I did, but with the new job starting and all. along with everything else I've gotten into on here, I just can't handle running this too. I've found out that it's actually a lot of work to run this game, and I just simply can't do it at the moment. I really with I could, since I was looking forward to running this game. But I do promise I will resurrect it in the future when I have more time.