PDA

View Full Version : Leaning out of an antimagic field to cast.

Rakaydos
2014-04-21, 01:55 PM
An antimagic aura has an emenation of 10'

A gargantuin dragon occupies a 30' space, has a 15' reach with paws, and a 20' reach with bite (head)

Does the antimagic aura it cast on itself extend from it's center, it's space, or it's extremities?

If it extends from the space, can It stretch it's arms and do somatic casting? even if It cant, can he cast a Stilled spell, speaking verbal components with his head well outside the emenation?

Windstorm
2014-04-21, 02:16 PM
welcome to rules dysfunction, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

the only real guide to this question is the fluff text "you are surrounded in" which could mean it extends from all positions on the body, or it could be a bubble the dragon doesn't fit in. largely this is DM interpretation, however in the case of the dragon sticking its head out, I would venture that to keep with the abstract nature of D&D spaces, any creature that has the majority of itself inside an AMF is affected as if the whole thing is.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-04-21, 02:19 PM
An antimagic aura has an emenation of 10'

A gargantuin dragon occupies a 30' space, has a 15' reach with paws, and a 20' reach with bite (head)

Does the antimagic aura it cast on itself extend from it's center, it's space, or it's extremities?

If it extends from the space, can It stretch it's arms and do somatic casting? even if It cant, can he cast a Stilled spell, speaking verbal components with his head well outside the emenation?

Its a 10ft radius emanation centered on the creature(not a 10ft emanation from the creature), that mean's from one side of the emanation to the other its 20ft. It doesn't matter how big or how small the creature is. For a Gargantuan creature you'd have to pick a point within the targets square for the spell to originate from. If its only partially in the angimagic field... then the field isn't really helping much. Yes it can still cast spells but because part of it is out of the antimagic field enemies can still target him with spells.

Most spells were written on the presumption that they'd be used by medium sized players or NPC's with PC class levels.

Rakaydos
2014-04-21, 03:49 PM
Is there a way to extend the range on an emenation, so a larger dragon can get full protection from it?

nyjastul69
2014-04-21, 04:34 PM
Is there a way to extend the range on an emenation, so a larger dragon can get full protection from it?

I think what you really want is to widen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#widenSpell) the area.

TuggyNE
2014-04-21, 06:49 PM
I think what you really want is to widen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#widenSpell) the area.

That doesn't do anything here without Enlarging (because the range strictly limits the area that can be affected), and Enlarge Spell cannot be applied.

nedz
2014-04-21, 06:50 PM
Yeah, this rule is very dysfunctional.

Area
Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection. When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.

So the spell is centred on a grid intersection.

I thought we had this one already, but I can't seem to find it in the Dysfunctional Rules Handbook (See below). Feel free to add it to the current Dysfunctional Rules thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333789).

HighWater
2014-04-22, 03:29 AM
welcome to rules dysfunction, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

the only real guide to this question is the fluff text "you are surrounded in" which could mean it extends from all positions on the body, or it could be a bubble the dragon doesn't fit in.
Actually, there is some more spelltext that makes the size of the field much clearer:

"Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field."
The field has a 10ft radius, centered on you. If you're bigger than that, you're still a valid target for enemy spells. If you're still a valid target and have extremeties that can be used for spellcasting that lie outside of the field... Well, it seems only fair that you could cast. Also, AMF would be next to useless except in some extreme cases.

Personally, I think that's just bollocks though. It may be intent and RAW, because it is in the actual spelldescription and everything, but I'd probably houserule the AMF to work in a manner more comparable to other AoE such as Fireball or Entangle.
Fireball and Entangle don't care about:
- How much of a creature is inside their affected area &
- How much of their affected area is occupied by a creature.
Say the same gargantuan dragon occupies two five foot squares that are hit by Fireball: it gets hit with normal Fireball damage and may make a reflex save for half. Same would happen if the dragon occupied the entire area covered by fireball, or only a single five foot square. Fireball simply doesn't care. I'd rule likewise for AMF: if you are within the AMF with any part of your body, the AMF affects you as if it covered your entire body (you conduct the spell if you will, it seems more "natural" (lol) that you use your entire body for spellcasting, even with the MM feats that supress the need for sound and movement). It will greatly simplify things in most cases. It's also 100% houserule and definitely not RAW. In my defence, the RAW is really messed up. :smallyuk:

nyjastul69
2014-04-22, 05:57 AM
That doesn't do anything here without Enlarging (because the range strictly limits the area that can be affected), and Enlarge Spell cannot be applied.

I should have read antimagic aura before answering. Widen can't be applied to AA because it doesn't have an area line in the spell header. Sorry folks.

Urpriest
2014-04-22, 09:55 AM
RAW, as has been pointed out, a spell centered on a creature is centered on a grid intersection. So you get 10 feet of AMF around the top corner of the 30 foot dragon's space.

nedz
2014-04-22, 12:12 PM
RAW, as has been pointed out, a spell centered on a creature is centered on a grid intersection. So you get 10 feet of AMF around the top corner of the 30 foot dragon's space.

I thought that it could be any intersection, even an interior one ?

Urpriest
2014-04-22, 12:18 PM
I thought that it could be any intersection, even an interior one ?

I think if you try to put it at an interior intersection you might have line of effect problems, but I'm not sure whether that comes into play.

Rakaydos
2014-04-22, 12:51 PM
Hmmm... now I'm wondering if it could be used as a sort of directional shield... :p