PDA

View Full Version : DM screen

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-21, 02:02 PM
I'm in dire need of a DM screen to thwart wandering eyes when I place monster stats or try to adjust damage on cards etc. can I purchase a screen from a card shop? Should I simply buy one on amazon? What's a reasonable price?

I'm in Texas

The last time I played and the DM was using a screen, it just seemed really advantageous. I'd like to tape notes to it and monster stats etc.

jjcrpntr
2014-04-21, 02:03 PM
I'm in dire need of a DM screen to thwart wandering eyes when I place monster stats or try to adjust damage on cards etc. can I purchase a screen from a card shop? Should I simply buy one on amazon? What's a reasonable price?

I'm in Texas

The last time I played and the DM was using a screen, it just seemed really advantageous. I'd like to tape notes to it and monster stats etc.

you can buy one of the pathfinder ones for like 12 bucks. But don't buy it from paizo though they charge that much in shipping. I got one for around 13 total for item+shipping off ebay. Or you can just make one yourself. Old dm i played with for a bit had two folders he'd put up.

Sir Chuckles
2014-04-21, 02:04 PM
If you want one just for visual blockage, then all you really need is some binder clips and, well, binders. Two or three binders and at least two clips will get you a three panel DM screen that you can store papers and notes in.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-21, 02:10 PM
you can buy one of the pathfinder ones for like 12 bucks. But don't buy it from paizo though they charge that much in shipping. I got one for around 13 total for item+shipping off ebay. Or you can just make one yourself. Old dm i played with for a bit had two folders he'd put up.

Ooooo the pathfinder ones ARE cheap! Will they ship well?

If you want one just for visual blockage, then all you really need is some binder clips and, well, binders. Two or three binders and at least two clips will get you a three panel DM screen that you can store papers and notes in.

Binders aren't a bad idea. I just really like how concise the screen is. I think I'll pick up a few binders and try it out before I go burn 12 bucks on a screen.

Then if I don't like it, I'll get a screen... Ha

Thorvaldr
2014-04-21, 02:29 PM
There are some free ones on the web, I just print them on card stock (really thick paper) and tape them together. Or sometimes print them on card stock, put them in plastic sleeves, and tape those together.

I have a D&D 3.5 DM Screen I made up here. (http://www.scribd.com/doc/218831159/D-D-3-5-DM-Screen) The SRD also has an online version here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/toolsScreen.html) which is pretty cool since you can click to right what you need. If you're looking for Pathfinder, I don't know as much about that.

Windstorm
2014-04-21, 02:34 PM
grab thorvaldr's and stick it onto some foamcore board, slice out two sections so it can bend inwards (don't cut the back panel card) and voila, one cheap and very functional screen.

that screen is one of the best I've ever seen for concise information btw, good on you thorvaldr.

Chronos
2014-04-21, 02:57 PM
Twelve bucks is cheap for a folded piece of cardboard? I'd never pay more than a dollar for one. If there are none that cheap, just make one yourself.

dascarletm
2014-04-21, 03:23 PM
There are some free ones on the web, I just print them on card stock (really thick paper) and tape them together. Or sometimes print them on card stock, put them in plastic sleeves, and tape those together.

I have a D&D 3.5 DM Screen I made up here. (http://www.scribd.com/doc/218831159/D-D-3-5-DM-Screen) The SRD also has an online version here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/toolsScreen.html) which is pretty cool since you can click to right what you need. If you're looking for Pathfinder, I don't know as much about that.

That is really good. Really. I might have to make myself a screen now. :smallbiggrin:

Mootsmcboots
2014-04-21, 03:37 PM
I say just make your own. It's cheap, satisfying, and you get to choose what info is important enough for it to contain.

Just head to the dollar store, michaels, or any craft supply shop. (Art shops will be a bit more expensive, but better quality) get some heavy bristol board, or some archival quality bristol board.

They should come in fairly large sheets, likely enough to make 2 screens or 1 sturdy screen. Cut it into 2 same sized pieces, glue them together really well. Gluing 2 pieces on top on one another isn't a must, but it'll make a more sturdy, duarable screen, and the folds will wear out slower.

Take a ruler, or paper folding bone(Like a blunt plastic letter opener) and make solid creases (Try to crease while glue is still wet if possible, it will push glue away from the creases, for better folds) where you want your screen to fold. Fold the sections back and forth a few times once dry.

Draw, paint, print off pictures for the back of your screen should you wish at this point. If you are printing images and gluing them to the back, print in 3 sections, or cut one long image to match up with your folded sections.

Paste any static info you'd like onto the screen, use pos its or index cards stuck on with stick tac for temporary info.

Bam, sweet DM screen. The construction of the screen shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. The info and art portions? Time will vary.

jjcrpntr
2014-04-21, 03:47 PM
Ooooo the pathfinder ones ARE cheap! Will they ship well?

Binders aren't a bad idea. I just really like how concise the screen is. I think I'll pick up a few binders and try it out before I go burn 12 bucks on a screen.

Then if I don't like it, I'll get a screen... Ha

It shipped to me in perfect condition. I like it because it has a lot of skill check DC's common conditions, as well as frequently asked stuff like how long till level or whatever. As a new DM having that stuff right there in front is really nice

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-21, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! I'll definitely make my own. For the time being, I'm just going to use two binders clipped together.

Techwarrior
2014-04-21, 06:35 PM
I used a couple of black folders with some scotch tape taping them into three sections. That is, the left panel of the right folder and the right panel of the left folder got taped together.

I don't really need to look up information so much though besides my campaign notes, and when I do its not something you can put on a DM screen because it's something dumb like the exact wording of a spell the player cast, because they can't be bothered to remember.

Sticky notes are going to be your friend until then though.

Talothorn
2014-04-21, 07:24 PM
When you do make or use a screen, remember that binder clips are your best friend to stick notes on your side.
I have also used the clear plastic sign displays. They are cheap, durable, and easy to use.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-21, 11:28 PM
Any suggestions of awesome pictures or collages to slip into the binder?

Links would be appreciated
I don't really want to just use a rip off of other screens.

Codyage
2014-04-21, 11:41 PM
I find Magic the Gathering Fat Pack Posters are decent blockage.

Open the poster, get a nice internal visual when you roll dice, and block the view.

Totema
2014-04-22, 12:00 AM
Make one! I hate pre-printed screens myself, they never seem to have the right info I need at a given time. If you have a low budget, you can just tape a pair of paper folders together and clip on some notes. If you want to get fancy you can try all manner of different approaches... I've been fantasizing about making one from adorned plexiglass myself. I think corkboards might be handy as well, I've heard of lots of DMs using them.

Thorvaldr
2014-04-22, 07:49 AM
Any suggestions of awesome pictures or collages to slip into the binder?

I just put a map of my campaign world on the back. Not the most exciting thing ever, but it can be a useful reference.

that screen is one of the best I've ever seen for concise information btw, good on you thorvaldr.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin: