View Full Version : Sneak Attack Crossbow Build

Gwazi Magnum
2014-04-21, 02:08 PM
Basically I looked at Crossbow Sniper (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/crossbow-sniper--488/) and saw big potential in making a focused hunter/sneak attacker sort of build.

I figured I'd go with Generic Warrior from Unearthed Arcana.
Combined with either Human or Strong Heart Halfling and 2 Flaws I start with 5 feats... 6-7 if i make a pact with a Devil (7 if I have some social skill or extra leverage to get him to increase the rewards).

However, 5 at level 1 should (hopefully) be enough.

Atm I'm thinking a build like:

Race: Strongheart Halfling
STR 6, DEX 20, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 8

Skills: Move Silently, Hide, Listen, Spot
Other Skills wanted: Survival/Gather Info (Tracking Purposes), Search, Use Magic Device

Feats
-Level 1: Crossbow Sniper
-Race: Craven
-Class: Weapon Focus (Light Crossbow)
-Flaw 1: Rapid Reload
-Flaw 2: ??? (I'm thinking something skill based, more class skills helps).
Ex: University (-100 gp, +2 SP per level) or Apprentice
I'm also half tempted to grab something like Track instead, but that could be on a later level.

Any general advice on how to make such a build work?
Also, is there a way to find a crossbow that doubles as a melee weapon?

BowStreetRunner
2014-04-21, 02:15 PM
Also, is there a way to find a crossbow that doubles as a melee weapon?

Bladed Crossbow from the Magic Item Compendium, page 47.

Fates
2014-04-21, 03:40 PM
If you're focused on Sneak Attack, go with the Hand Crossbow rather than Light Crossbow. Saves you a feat via Hand Crossbow Focus from DotU (Weapon Focus + Rapid Reload for Hand Crossbows), plus the sneaky synergy involved. Deadly Aim can be a nice bonus, particularly if your DM is generous and allows the +Dex to Damage it grants to extend to 60 ft via Crossbow Sniper, but it requires a practically useless feat (point-blank shot), so it might not be worth it unless you've got a truly massive Dex score.

Jowgen
2014-04-21, 09:01 PM
As Fates said, if you want to go crossbow sneak, then the Hand Crossbow with Hand Crossbow Focus is your friend. You trade a d8 (average damage 4) for a d4 (average damage 2) but get weapon focus and rapid reload in 1 feat.

If you got access to Complete Scoundrel, then the Hand Crossbow Blade from p. 109 takes care of your melee problems, and does so for far cheaper than the MIC bladed crossbow, while allowing it to be enchanted separately.

If you have access to Arms and Equipment guide, then the Gnome Crossbow Sight from p. 36 can be another great addition, depending on how your DM adjudicates it. It makes targets count as 2 range increments closer, but is said to have no effect on things within the first 2 range increments, so if you're very literal, it becomes easier to hit something that's 95 feet away than something that's 65 feet away. Can potentially extend your ranged SA out to 90 when combined with Crossbow Sniper.

Least Crystals of return from the MIC are obviously another good accessory, giving you quick draw for cheap. This can potentially be helpful if you wanted to go the TWF-route with Hand-Crossbows, since you can TWF them as light weapons, but reloading them arguably still takes a free hand even when reloading is a free action, and being able to free-action draw them might help convince your DM that you can reload them somehow while TWF. Gloves of the Balanced hand from the MIC can save you a TWF feat, although they're a bit pricey at level 5 (8000 gp). If no TWF, those 8000 would probably be better spent with Bracers of Murder (DotU) to give some flat SA to hit and damage plus the ability to reroll 1s on SA dice; or 8500 for Bracers of the Hunter (SoX) for an extra d6 SA and bonuses to Hide and Init.

Other accessories can include a wand chamber (Dungeonscape), or if you're feeling exotic, there are Double-Hand-crossbows in a WotC article somewhere, which (while requiring a feat) can be fun.

For feats to boost ranged damage, you can't go wrong with Knowledge devotion, so long as you have the skill points to get a rank in each of the 6 monster-identifying knowledges. Combine with Collector of Stories skill trick for extra bang.

Lastly, I recommend trying to find a way to get more Dex to Damage. Hit n' Run tactics Fighter Drow ACF from DotU gets you dex to damage to flat footed within 30 foot (also +2 init), which you can try an argue can be extended via Crossbow Sniper and/or the Gnome Crossbow Sights. The problem is that, while it doesn't state that you need to be a Drow to get this ACF, some DM's will still require it.

I believe there is also a Dragon Mag PrC that can get you dex to damage on ranged attacks, but the name escapes me.

RolandDeschain
2014-04-21, 11:18 PM
Dual-wielding hand crossbow ranger/scout(swift hunter) build.

Averis Vol
2014-04-22, 11:36 PM
I would also make the room to throw in a level of fighter, trading your feat for dex to damage via targeteer from dragon 315 (I think).

I'm also going to second hand crossbow focus. If you're focused on SA anyways, the -2 to hit should more than be made up by the extra damage you can push out with a second sneak attack application.

That being said though, the issue of catching them flat footed is kind of a problem (as with all ranged SA builds.) Instead of the usual wands of grease (because if they fall, thats +4 ac vs ranged) I'm going to suggest OA's eggshell grenades, because blinded is a hell of a lot better then prone in your case, AND you can put your quickdraw and TWF to work with them.

VoxRationis
2014-04-22, 11:54 PM
That being said though, the issue of catching them flat footed is kind of a problem (as with all ranged SA builds.) Instead of the usual wands of grease (because if they fall, thats +4 ac vs ranged) I'm going to suggest OA's eggshell grenades, because blinded is a hell of a lot better then prone in your case, AND you can put your quickdraw and TWF to work with them.

Not to mention that the image of a blinding cloud of dust and smoke filling a room and incapacitating the guards and then you walking in and executing them with a hand crossbow is awesome (though usually reserved for villains in the first part of a movie).

shortround
2014-04-23, 12:08 AM
Remember that enemies are considered flat-footed if they haven't acted in combat yet, so having a high initiative helps you activate your sneak attack, as well! Seeing that you have UMD, though a wand of grease might not be ideal, would a wand of nerveskitter be useful? I always forget how exactly wands work in this regard.

SouthpawSoldier
2014-04-23, 12:14 AM
I know some build variants use Whisper Gnome for that idea; +8 to Hide (4 racial, 4 size) along with SLA Silence target:self means hard Spot DC and no chance of Listen check to give themselves away. Uself at lower levels.

ImaDeadMan
2014-04-23, 01:54 AM
I would recommend taking the Deadly Precision feat or picking up the Bracers of Murder from Drow of the Underdark. They both give you the ability to reroll 1's on your sneak attack damage. The bracers in addition to allowing you to reroll 1's on sneak attack rolls, also provide a +2 to hit and damage to flat-footed targets and they increase the save DC of your death attack by 2 if you decide to go assassin.

If you're looking for things to grant you skill points, I recommend Nymph's Kiss from BoED. It grants you an extra skill point per level, starting from the level you take the feat. You also gain a +2 circumstance bonus on all Charisma related checks and a +1 bonus on all saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.

On another note, why go with the generic Warrior from UA for this build? Fighter is by default better and provides you with bonus feats to help your build. You could also go with the Thug Fighter variant that gives you sneak attack progression instead of feats if you're going for precision damage. Either way, you have a larger HD and you're keeping the full BAB.

Know(Nothing)
2014-04-23, 02:33 AM
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you have the cash for it(or someone to make it for you), the Splitting enhancement literally doubles your SA damage output. It's in a Faerun book I think, I can't remember which right now.

If you can consistently overcome the attack penalty, this and Rapid Shot will have you pincushioning people in no time.

TuggyNE
2014-04-23, 05:42 AM
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you have the cash for it(or someone to make it for you), the Splitting enhancement literally doubles your SA damage output. It's in a Faerun book I think, I can't remember which right now.

I believe Splitting makes rather a point that critical hits (and therefore all precision damage) only apply to the first arrow, not the split-off one.

Know(Nothing)
2014-04-23, 06:10 AM
Just checked. It's in Champions of Ruin, and says nothing about criticals or precision damage. Did Splitting get reprinted later with a different description?

Also it requires the Precise Shot feat to function, forgot about that.

animewatcha
2014-04-24, 03:54 AM
It didn't. Splitting powers comes mainly with combo'ed with other things. Like arrowsplit spell ( assuming no other shenanigans ), one attack ( can be standard or whatever ) of 4-10 arrows. Or shadow arrow spells, you launch two shadow arrows instead of one. If you use special arrows ( like fountainhead or cure x ), Splitting and arrowsplit affect them too. See how your DM thinks of Aurorum arrows ( expensive but helps to save on special arrows ).