PDA

View Full Version : Trap my PCs!

Peelee
2014-04-21, 03:04 PM
I'm designing a campaign so my friends and I can get together and play again, and one portion will be a jungle temple/dungeon. What are some good traps to throw in this place? Or any traps you may like in general, even if they don't fit the jungle theme?

DigoDragon
2014-04-21, 03:14 PM
If you're going with classic jungle temple/dungeons, traps that shoot poison-tipped darts are pretty common.
Also: Hidden pits. If the fall isn't enough for your tastes, just add something at the bottom. Common accessories in a pit are snakes, scorpions, poisonous spiders, spikes, gelatinous cubes, and dead bodies (bonus points if they're undead bodies).

I personally like hiding a battering ram made from a tree trunk behind the main door into the dungeon. If you want to give them a hint that the trap exists (which seems fair), add some skeletons near the door that all have their ribs crushed in. :smallwink:

Fates
2014-04-21, 03:15 PM
And invisible symbiotic acidborn shark with a ring of sustenance on its dorsal fin inside of a half-celestial gelatinous cube (for flight), and with multiple levels in Psion?

Shining Wrath
2014-04-21, 03:17 PM
One of my all-time PC killer traps:
Setup: a pit trap with spikes in the middle and the PCs have to edge around on a ledge.
The kill: An illusion that looks like the first room. Except the safe thing to do is to walk right down the middle, and if you try to edge around the side you'll step on a pressure plate and trigger a fairly lethal response (like poison darts point-blank from wall adjacent to the pressure plate).

Extremely nasty at levels prior to flight becoming common and true seeing.

After the monsters are defeated, a search reveals a hidden compartment. Inside the hidden compartment is a bag of coins, but the bag looks rotten.

PCs will transfer coins into their own container. This is when they discover that there's a variant of Shrieker living underneath the coins that caused the bag to rot, and when exposed to light it does something unpleasant (spraying toxic spores).

EDIT:

And invisible symbiotic acidborn shark with a ring of sustenance on its dorsal fin inside of a half-celestial gelatinous cube (for flight), and with multiple levels in Psion?

You forgot troll-blooded with the Construct subtype. Are you going easy on people?

Peelee
2014-04-21, 03:25 PM
If you're going with classic jungle temple/dungeons, traps that shoot poison-tipped darts are pretty common.
Also: Hidden pits. If the fall isn't enough for your tastes, just add something at the bottom. Common accessories in a pit are snakes, scorpions, poisonous spiders, spikes, gelatinous cubes, and dead bodies (bonus points if they're undead bodies).

I personally like hiding a battering ram made from a tree trunk behind the main door into the dungeon. If you want to give them a hint that the trap exists (which seems fair), add some skeletons near the door that all have their ribs crushed in. :smallwink:

Not only do I plan on having the staple poison dart shooting traps, I also plan on playing up on Indiana Jones-style traps to trip them up, like having noticeable shaft of light that isn't a trap at all, but is made out to look like it is.

I do really like your battering ram idea with the crushed skeletons. Definitely be using that. Seems like a nice welcome mat for trap-filled dungeon.

There will be things like dire alligators and venomous serpents and piranhas in pools they need to swim through, of course. It's a jungle dungeon. How could there not be?

Shining Wrath
2014-04-21, 03:39 PM
For the jungle theme there MUST be vine swinging across pits filled with dire piranhas.

Also, vermin are recommended. Giant web-spinning spiders create their own traps.

Don't forget the classic "reach into alcove to activate mechanism, something drops on your hand and bites you" trap.

The ooze creature type wants you to use it. Jungles are very oozy places. Oozes falling from the ceiling are to be expected.

Peelee
2014-04-21, 03:48 PM
For the jungle theme there MUST be vine swinging across pits filled with dire piranhas.

Also, vermin are recommended. Giant web-spinning spiders create their own traps.

Don't forget the classic "reach into alcove to activate mechanism, something drops on your hand and bites you" trap.

The ooze creature type wants you to use it. Jungles are very oozy places. Oozes falling from the ceiling are to be expected.

You're my favorite person ever. I knew posting here would pay off well.

Boss of the place will be a Turtle Dragon, so I plan on throwing vague hints to that out there. Also, they'll be a tribe of Yuan-ti relatively close, who make use of the temple. Anything that works any of those in will get y'all bonus points.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-21, 03:49 PM
To date, my favorite jungle ruin trap came from an official WotC product for Eberron. There was a razor-lined chute that opened up right in front of a doorway. Even if the razor-lined chute doesn't getcha, then the 150 foot drop leading out of the temple on the other end of the chute will.

Peelee
2014-04-21, 03:51 PM
To date, my favorite jungle ruin trap came from an official WotC product for Eberron. There was a razor-lined chute that opened up right in front of a doorway. Even if the razor-lined chute doesn't getcha, then the 150 foot drop leading out of the temple on the other end of the chute will.

Get me a link to a vendor and I'll sig an Ode to the Awesomeness of Afgncaap. I'm not above stealing from other modules.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-21, 04:46 PM
Get me a link to a vendor and I'll sig an Ode to the Awesomeness of Afgncaap. I'm not above stealing from other modules.

All righty. You can pick up a PDF of it here (http://www.dndclassics.com/product/28587/EBERRON-Grasp-of-the-Emerald-Claw-35?it=1&filters=0_44709_0). It's in the last section (which makes sense, since that's the section that takes place in the massive temple.) The temple has a lot of fun traps and scenarios in it (Locals pushing giant rolling boulders down stairs at the players, flame strike traps, angry gorillas, everything.)

Peelee
2014-04-21, 04:49 PM
All righty. You can pick up a PDF of it here (http://www.dndclassics.com/product/28587/EBERRON-Grasp-of-the-Emerald-Claw-35?it=1&filters=0_44709_0). It's in the last section (which makes sense, since that's the section that takes place in the massive temple.) The temple has a lot of fun traps and scenarios in it (Locals pushing giant rolling boulders down stairs at the players, flame strike traps, angry gorillas, everything.)

You rock so hard. Give me a small amount of time for the ode. Finals week is coming up fast.

VoxRationis
2014-04-21, 05:07 PM
Well, if you've got yuan-ti, use that ability of theirs that makes people deathly afraid of snakes. Include some harmless, tiny constrictor snakes (whatever the tropical equivalent of garter snakes is) in large numbers in the beginning of the room. When the PCs enter the middle of the room, a hidden yuan-ti uses the ability and sends the fighter screaming headlong down the trapped corridor ahead.
For extra fun, have some sort of labyrinth right after that room, so that people trying to follow him get lost.

Jack_Simth
2014-04-21, 05:16 PM
Traps, in isolation, generally amount to two die rolls (or taking ten/20 once or twice) and moving on.

The fun traps are going to be ones that:
1) Synergize well with critters in the area (e.g., negative energy traps near undead, Fire traps near Iron Golems, acid traps around Clay golems, electricity traps around Flesh golems, et cetera). The Disable Device check will take 2d4 rounds, while the beast pounds on everyone. Do you want to disable the thing that keeps the beast healthy and hurts the party, or just take down the beast faster?
2) Make sense (you do not put a trap that is lethal to the local inhabitants, as they'll either have already set it off, died to it, or made obvious signs of how to get around it just by going around it all the time). In a place that's designed to never be visted again, traps without a bypass make sense. In a place that's designed to only be visited occasionally, traps should have some form of bypass, but the bypass can be complex (you don't go there when you're drop-dead drunk or exhausted, but when you're stone-cold sober and awake). In a place where people (or 'people') live (or 'live'), the traps should all either have an easy bypass (something the locals can do when they're dead-tired or drop-dead drunk) or be of a sort that the locals are immune to (fire traps around fire giants - why bother with a bypass?).
3) Aren't direct traps, but are obvious hazards or obstacles - in a party where flight is uncommon (the Wizard may have prepared one copy, but not enough for the entire party) a simple chasm can be fun - the Rogue has to sort out the knots for the rope to hand to the flyer who then anchors it on the other side, and then everyone has to be able to make a DC 10 or so climb check to get across... but most won't have ranks).
4) Are fundamentally transport of a sort. Dimension Door Traps are fun. You found it! Yay! Now you know that if you step on this plate, you're transported 800 feet east, and if you step on that one, you're transported 800 feet north, oh yes, and the third sends you 800 feet West. Umm... which one leads to the treasure room, and which to the lava pit? Oh yes, and one of those might just go to an area of solid stone, which means lots of damage then returning to where you were....

Peelee
2014-04-21, 05:17 PM
Well, if you've got yuan-ti, use that ability of theirs that makes people deathly afraid of snakes. Include some harmless, tiny constrictor snakes (whatever the tropical equivalent of garter snakes is) in large numbers in the beginning of the room. When the PCs enter the middle of the room, a hidden yuan-ti uses the ability and sends the fighter screaming headlong down the trapped corridor ahead.
For extra fun, have some sort of labyrinth right after that room, so that people trying to follow him get lost.

That's not just bonus points, that's super extra bonus points. I love it.

EDIT: Also, Jack_Simth, that is hugely useful. When I draw out the dungeon, I'm going to keep that list as a quick and dirty guide to decent trapping.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-21, 05:19 PM
You rock so hard. Give me a small amount of time for the ode. Finals week is coming up fast.

No ode necessary. And even if it was, finals come first.

By which I mean last. But they're the priority. :smallsmile:

Shining Wrath
2014-04-21, 05:38 PM
A lot can be done with tribes of whoever that once worshiped at the temple before something bad happened, and still try to keep strangers from transgressing.

People like that set up traps OUTSIDE the temple, so you describe the temple, the party approaches alert for traps inside the entrance, and 50' from the entrance a pit opens below them plunging them into hungry panthers.

Garonak
2014-04-22, 08:46 AM
Bear Trap: Trip wire (or similar) and a (not at all pleased) bear falls on the party.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-22, 09:26 AM
Bear Trap: Trip wire (or similar) and a (not at all pleased) bear falls on the party.

The old Piercer from AD&D can be adapted nicely to any cave environment.

If you don't remember it, it looked exactly like a stalagmite. And it would cling to the ceiling. And sense vibrations of creatures moving below.

And then drop, making it's one single attack, which if it hit meant you took a metric boatload of damage as the Piercer - pierced. And if it missed, it flipped over onto its base, and started creeping slowly toward the wall. It had high AC being basically made of stone, but it could be killed.

Of course, while you smash on Piercer the first, you create lots and lots of vibrations. Do Piercers travel in packs? I think they might!

DEATH FROM ABOVE.

I don't think it ever made it into 3.5, or even 3.0, but the killer stalagmite can be homebrewed easily.

DigoDragon
2014-04-22, 09:43 AM
Extremely nasty at levels prior to flight becoming common and true seeing.

I made a really interesting trap once that tripped up the flyers in the party~

A room contained a pressure plate in the middle of the room, under a small skylight. The door on the other side was locked (though you could pick it/smash it if you tried hard enough). An old carving on the wall translated roughly that making a sacrifice on that center plate (by standing on it) would open the doors to riches.

So the party sends the fighter to stand on the plate since he's got Hit Points. Now, with my party the wizards and warlock like to fly all the time but they never bother to look up at the ceiling. :smallbiggrin: When the fighter stepped on the plate, poison darts shot down from holes in the ceiling throughout the room except for the one safe spot on the pressure plate.

They started looking up more often after that room.

I don't think it ever made it into 3.5, or even 3.0, but the killer stalagmite can be homebrewed easily.

I have a 3rd party module somewhere that statted it for 3.5 and YES a group of those are NASTY. Bring a tear of joy to my eye.

Peelee
2014-04-22, 10:09 AM
I made a really interesting trap once that tripped up the flyers in the party~

A room contained a pressure plate in the middle of the room, under a small skylight. The door on the other side was locked (though you could pick it/smash it if you tried hard enough). An old carving on the wall translated roughly that making a sacrifice on that center plate (by standing on it) would open the doors to riches.

So the party sends the fighter to stand on the plate since he's got Hit Points. Now, with my party the wizards and warlock like to fly all the time but they never bother to look up at the ceiling. :smallbiggrin: When the fighter stepped on the plate, poison darts shot down from holes in the ceiling throughout the room except for the one safe spot on the pressure plate.

They started looking up more often after that room.

That is a thing of beauty, sir.

I have a 3rd party module somewhere that statted it for 3.5 and YES a group of those are NASTY. Bring a tear of joy to my eye.

Remember the name of the module, by chance? I need these things.

Also, it looks like I'm instilling an unhealthy distrust of ceilings with these newest ideas.

And the bear trap would even invoke memories of AirBear (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13141750#post13141750). None of this can possibly go wrong.

John Longarrow
2014-04-22, 10:26 AM
Old standard...
Round room with a pedistal in the center. On the pedistal is an idol.

Remove idol and;
a) Floor falls away (50' drop)
OR
b) Ceiling collapses (everywhere except pedistal)
OR
c) darts fire across entire room starting at pedistal height
OR
d) Fireball goes off centered on pedistal

Other great ones,
Pressure Plate releases BIG ROCK on vine rope to come swinging down on target space.
Spider Webs over 5' high. If you disturb them, trap is set off (darts, swinging blade, ect..)
Magic effects that go off by someone crossing line that should be obvious (Wall of fire is fun)

30'30 room with symbol in the middle. Summon troll trap.. hehehe NOTE: Make a list of different things it summons if you enter the room more than once.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-22, 11:13 AM
Oh, and never miss a chance to split the party.

Doors that let 2 people through, then slam shut (Reflex save to react in time, STR check to keep it open) are fun. There doesn't have to be anything immediately threatening on either side - just a door that is hard to open (and immune to Knock).

Peelee
2014-04-22, 12:49 PM
Oh, and never miss a chance to split the party.

Didn't even think of that. This has to be some of the best advice ever.

Thanks, everyone! Soon as finals are done I'ma start drawing the map. Don't let that stop anyone from continuing to suggest anything that might be tons of fun. I can always redraw for awesome.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-22, 01:04 PM
Magnets can be fun. Big ones. On the ceiling.

VoxRationis
2014-04-22, 01:22 PM
Magnets can be fun. Big ones. On the ceiling.

Give all the monsters in the area bronze weapons. It rewards creativity and memory if the rogue, seeing his weapon fly up into the ceiling but not his bronze cloak pin, runs back into the previous room to grab the orc's bronze sword for the fight in the magnet room.

KorbeltheReader
2014-04-22, 01:44 PM
I'm a fan of setting up a trap and then imagining how the predators that inhabit the dungeon would adapt to the trap over time. Say you have a boulder that rolls down a hallway where the PCs have to duck through a doorway to get out of the way. Hmm, I bet a gelatinous cube would find that a good place to hang out. Pit trap with sitting duck adventurers in it? Sounds like an ambush spot for a kobold pack, or a likely place for a nasty undead to get stuck.

In fact critters are a great way to adapt a trap so that there's a fun fight on the end of it instead of just wandering damage.

I suppose here is a good place to note that mimics have human level intelligence and higher than average wisdom. Just let that thought simmer a while.

John Longarrow
2014-04-22, 01:50 PM
Jungle Temples also scream out for flooded (or partially flooded) cooridors and rooms. Toss in snakes and other swimming monsters for some extra fun.

Even better when you have traps that still work in the murky water... Hehehehe

Peelee
2014-04-22, 03:43 PM
Jungle Temples also scream out for flooded (or partially flooded) cooridors and rooms. Toss in snakes and other swimming monsters for some extra fun.

Even better when you have traps that still work in the murky water... Hehehehe

Already taken care of! Have a nice little list of monsters to fill the waters with. Don't have any aquatic traps, though.... there's an idea.

EDIT: OK, someone was clearly abused by a ceiling as a child. Or wants my player's characters to feel like they were. In any event, Im really loving the whole "keep looking up or die" motiff that's started here.

Deremir
2014-04-22, 11:54 PM
the party enters a room, inside the room is compleatly empty except for the pedistal in the middle, attop the pedistal... is a rope. an ordinairy rope. what the party dosent know is that the room is filled with magical traps set to go off when they sense a projectile.
im sure your party will like this one:smallwink:

also mimic slimes, the party is walking along when the hallway starts collapsing in and engulfing them, the slime shaped itself to look like a hallway and is streatched from one door in a room to a door on the
oposite side.

Barbarian Horde
2014-04-23, 12:34 AM
Indiana Jones. Just drop a huge boulder let it roll down a long hallway. Give pc's a listen check to see if they hear it after triggering it. Then a spot check

AlanBruce
2014-04-23, 12:54 AM
One of the Conan books had a nasty trap if some of your party members wear or wield metal.

You have a semi large stone room covered in moss and vines and some patches of sunlight coming from above.

However, the main object of attention here is a large central pillar, decorated with whatever motifs you might want relevant to your setting.

The tribesmen or monsters that inhabit the dungeon have already taken measures and cleaned any evidence so a sto lure more victims.

As soon as the party walks X feet away from the pillar, this one acts as a magnet pinning anyone wearing armor or holding a metal weapon (in this case, treat it as telekinesis' disarm maneuver mode).

So we have one, or maybe two guys pinned to the pillar, crying for help as their caster friend attempts to break them free.

That's when the ooze hiding above the room begins to descend and slowly eat the flesh out of the pinned characters, leaving nothing but their metal armor and weapons.

John Longarrow
2014-04-23, 07:46 AM
EDIT: OK, someone was clearly abused by a ceiling as a child. Or wants my player's characters to feel like they were. In any event, Im really loving the whole "keep looking up or die" motiff that's started here.

I figured you already had a Lurker Above room, so I figured that would be redundant.

Course having the Lurker in the same room as a mimic could be fun... And a cloaker in the closet!

DigoDragon
2014-04-23, 08:10 AM
Remember the name of the module, by chance? I need these things.

I believe it was in the Dungeon Crawl Classic module The Scaly God (http://www.goodman-games.com/5025preview.html).

I did find 3.x stats for a tiny varient (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/vermin/piercer.htm) of the Piercer. I'm sure you can scale it up for your tastes.

Also, it looks like I'm instilling an unhealthy distrust of ceilings with these newest ideas.

Ceilings tend to be the most neglected direction PCs look toward. So once in a while an intelligent monster or a well crafted trap is going to take advantage of that. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2014-04-24, 05:45 PM
I believe it was in the Dungeon Crawl Classic module The Scaly God (http://www.goodman-games.com/5025preview.html).

I did find 3.x stats for a tiny varient (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/vermin/piercer.htm) of the Piercer. I'm sure you can scale it up for your tastes.
You are a glorious man.

Ceilings tend to be the most neglected direction PCs look toward. So once in a while an intelligent monster or a well crafted trap is going to take advantage of that. :smallbiggrin:

I almost want to scale down the difficulty of this temple so I can have it earlier in the adventure, solely so that I can capitalize on the ceiling terror in all the later dungeons. Red Herring the hell outta those ceiligns

Vaz
2014-04-24, 06:31 PM

Don't forget the Skeletal Pirahna Swarm.

duboisjf
2014-04-24, 07:20 PM
Entrance to the temple by an underwater tunnel + Leech swarm

At the end of the tunnel, we're they think they safe put assasin vine or any other monstruous plant.

Marthinwurer
2014-04-24, 07:50 PM
My favorite trap ever isn't one. There is a great big pile of riches in the middle of a large room. Once it is disturbed, walls of magical force pop out of the walls of the room and herd everyone into the center, where the pile of good stuff has been replaced by an hourglass on a pedestal with a big red button below it that says "Push Me." The hourglass starts to go down, and the only way to reset it is to press the button, which deals a point of damage whenever it is pressed. Be sure to have a timer in real life too for extra pressure. When the hourglass runs out, the walls disappear. I pulled this one on my OD&D players. They were not amused. I laughed uproariously. :smallbiggrin:

VoxRationis
2014-04-24, 07:54 PM
My favorite trap ever isn't one. There is a great big pile of riches in the middle of a large room. Once it is disturbed, walls of magical force pop out of the walls of the room and herd everyone into the center, where the pile of good stuff has been replaced by an hourglass on a pedestal with a big red button below it that says "Push Me." The hourglass starts to go down, and the only way to reset it is to press the button, which deals a point of damage whenever it is pressed. Be sure to have a timer in real life too for extra pressure. When the hourglass runs out, the walls disappear. I pulled this one on my OD&D players. They were not amused. I laughed uproariously. :smallbiggrin:

Was this trap made by Acerererak? It seems to mostly be good for screwing with intruders, rather than killing them.

GGambrel
2014-04-24, 08:01 PM
For the jungle theme there MUST be vine swinging across pits filled with dire piranhas...

Of course it's only after the first player starts to swing across that they realize the vine is out to get them! :smallwink: (if they aren't observant enough to notice beforehand)

I think a jungle/rainforest is a prime location for plant-type monsters, whether in the dungeon or just nearby. Also, I don't think anyone said quicksand yet, perhaps as a hazard during combat.

Peelee
2014-04-24, 09:02 PM
Entrance to the temple by an underwater tunnel + Leech swarm

At the end of the tunnel, we're they think they safe put assasin vine or any other monstruous plant.

Of course it's only after the first player starts to swing across that they realize the vine is out to get them! :smallwink: (if they aren't observant enough to notice beforehand)

I think a jungle/rainforest is a prime location for plant-type monsters, whether in the dungeon or just nearby. Also, I don't think anyone said quicksand yet, perhaps as a hazard during combat.

Leeches, monstrous plants, and quicksand have been added to the list.

Also, if this thing doesn't run out of steam, I may use a different dungeon in the campaign and make the Jungle Deathtrap Dungeon a mini campaign in its own right. Keep going!

VoxRationis
2014-04-24, 09:04 PM
Cordyceps fungus-type stuff.

duboisjf
2014-04-24, 10:01 PM
Maybe out of subject ...

Having an NPC that live out in the jungle near the site that could give warning/info to the PC or give them trouble if they're not polite.

Give them Tarzan :)

Peelee
2014-04-24, 10:30 PM
Maybe out of subject ...

Having an NPC that live out in the jungle near the site that could give warning/info to the PC or give them trouble if they're not polite.

Give them Tarzan :)

No Jolee Bindo love?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-24, 10:55 PM
I'm taking notes on this entire thread. :smallbiggrin:

John Longarrow
2014-04-25, 09:36 AM
For true terrifying magnificence...

The party gets to the center of the temple, to where they expect the treasure to be, and they find.....

A hole in the floor. Anyone with Track can find Kobold tracks around. Sitting where the treasure should be is a small carved wooden plaque that says

"Tucker was here"

:belkar: :belkar: :belkar:

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-25, 09:43 AM
You look up and see a note scrawled in common across the support beam

"I prepared explosive runes this morning"

Look up indeed. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2014-04-25, 09:52 AM
For true terrifying magnificence...

The party gets to the center of the temple, to where they expect the treasure to be, and they find.....

A hole in the floor. Anyone with Track can find Kobold tracks around. Sitting where the treasure should be is a small carved wooden plaque that says

"Tucker was here"

:belkar: :belkar: :belkar:

Sadly, I can't do that with this dungeon, as the treasure is plot-critical. But I think that idea will still make an appearance in the campaign.
Or, hell, maybe they'll have to track down Tucker to get the plot critical treasure. And then track down the shops he's spent it at. I like it.

Lightlawbliss
2014-04-25, 10:14 AM
I'm rather fond of SNA/SM traps, especially located in some central junction.

John Longarrow
2014-04-25, 10:41 AM
Sadly, I can't do that with this dungeon, as the treasure is plot-critical. But I think that idea will still make an appearance in the campaign.
Or, hell, maybe they'll have to track down Tucker to get the plot critical treasure. And then track down the shops he's spent it at. I like it.

Do a search for "Tucker's Kobolds". Your players will HATE you for having them go through one rough dungeon crawl just to discover there is a much nastier one ahead....

Trasilor
2014-04-25, 10:56 AM
Lots of awesome Trap ideas so I won't add to them...

Not sure if this was mentioned - i skimmed much of the posts - but whenever you design traps - get into the mindset of the trap maker.

Is this trap designed to Kill? Delay? Ensnare? Block? Alarm? Will I (the owner of said dungeon) want to be able to get past this trap easily? If so, how?

Having a 10 foot wide pit trap in a 10 foot wide hall, 20 feet deep with spiked/barbed/poisoned poles at the bottom witha bunch of undead milling about is fine unless I (owner of dungeon) need to walk down this halway on a daily basis.

However, if there is a secret side passage designed around the trap, then the trap is purposeful.

Also, think of the age - if the trap was created centuries ago many things would no longer be a threat. Poison evaporates/decomposes, metal rusts, creatures die (age, starvation), trip lines break, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE traps. Both as a player and DM. Provided they make sense. Nothing spoils my fantasy than having a random trap that appears for no apparent reason other than PCs are going that way.

John Longarrow
2014-04-25, 11:23 AM
Trasilor got me thinking.

In a dungeon I was running a few weeks ago, the main entry area is illuminated by fungus that grows through the stucco on the walls/roof. Small beings have a 10% per 5' moved to have the stucco break off and fall when being climbed. This goes up to 50% for medium and 90% for large.

In an ancient dungeon you can have a lot of traps that are "Unintentional".

Pit trap. Floor has been weakened by sink hole that has formed under it. Naturally occuring "Covered" pit trap.
Falling rock traps - Movement causes loose ceiling stones to fall.
Collapsing wall trap - Same as above.

This can give you a lot of "Wierd positioned" traps without them having either a disable DC OR a logical reason for them to be there. This also lets you use some other ways of advertising their presence.

duboisjf
2014-04-25, 11:31 AM
Also, think of the age - if the trap was created centuries ago many things would no longer be a threat. Poison evaporates/decomposes, metal rusts, creatures die (age, starvation), trip lines break, etc.

Can be used the other way around : Something that was completly safe centuries could turn into a trap simply by aging.

- Off-balance statue because off missing limbs
- Crumbling walls/tunnels if damage done with area effect
- Dry stuff that catch fire with the first spark or torch
- Food decomposition that filled a room with dangerous/explosives gas

About jungle : Vermin that give disease ... who cares if you kill it with one blow after the bite, you still have to make your save.

Trasilor
2014-04-25, 11:45 AM
Trasilor got me thinking.

In a dungeon I was running a few weeks ago, the main entry area is illuminated by fungus that grows through the stucco on the walls/roof. Small beings have a 10% per 5' moved to have the stucco break off and fall when being climbed. This goes up to 50% for medium and 90% for large.

In an ancient dungeon you can have a lot of traps that are "Unintentional".

Pit trap. Floor has been weakened by sink hole that has formed under it. Naturally occuring "Covered" pit trap.
Falling rock traps - Movement causes loose ceiling stones to fall.
Collapsing wall trap - Same as above.

This can give you a lot of "Wierd positioned" traps without them having either a disable DC OR a logical reason for them to be there. This also lets you use some other ways of advertising their presence.

John,

Those are great ideas - unintentional traps - Definitely use them in my next session :smallamused:

Peelee
2014-04-25, 02:11 PM
Lots of awesome Trap ideas so I won't add to them...

Wait, no! Add! Add all you wish. Hell, this thread is rapidly turning from a "Help me trap my single dungeon" to a complete DM's Guide to Traps, compete with trapping advice, with a strong focus on jungles and ceilings.

If it gets big enough, ill either refurnished the original post and title to make it exactly that, or do a new thread specifically for reference. Inventive traps seem to be pretty popular.

Also, I really like the natural trap ideas. Solid gold right there.

John Longarrow
2014-04-25, 02:18 PM
While dealing with ceiling traps, please remember the compound trap.

Character walks into dangerous corridor.

DM Rolls % to see if structural issues occur.

Ceiling starts to fall down. Ref DC 15 save to avoid falling stones.

Floor collapses... DC 25 to avoid falling into 30' pit now that the ceiling has destroyed the floor...

DC 25 save from bottom of pit to avoid falling pieces of wall as wall starts falling on top of pit, covering it....

Vaz
2014-04-25, 04:30 PM
What about the room that completely locks up once the party are within, containing only a single pedastal with a button set within. Once the door locks, a timer starts, counting down from 10. As the count goes down, the spikes extend from the roof and floor, and they begin to contract. Every time the button is pressed, the counter resets and the roof continues to lower.

How to solve? Wait until the count hits '0'.

DarkestKnight
2014-04-25, 11:55 PM
While I don't have any fully fleshed stats, I dream of finally creating a trap involving a room that the sides are seperated by a large pool containing a non-newtonian fluid, so the pc's can move across but cannot stop or they will start to sink. In the pool is an ooze (which seems to be the number one go-to trap monster), that will start trying to trip pc's after the first crosses.