PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you add templates to the animal companion?

Bluydee
2014-04-21, 08:13 PM
Title says all. I couldn't find anything definitively stating otherwise, and as the entry states, technically only a 1st level druid companion is a typical creature.

"A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind
except as noted in the sidebar on page 36. As a druid advances in
level, the animal’s power increases as shown on the table in the
sidebar. "

Bending the rules, I suppose.

OldTrees1
2014-04-21, 08:16 PM
RAW: No. A Half Dragon Werebear Dire Wolf is not on the approved Animal Companion list.
RAI: No. A Half Dragon Werebear Dire Wolf is not a typical Dire Wolf.

eggynack
2014-04-21, 08:26 PM
Yeah, but you really need to have some specific mechanism in play in order to accomplish it. The two classics are the warbeast (MM II, 219) and magebred (5N, 74), but there are others out there. Other options include, but are likely not limited to, celestial from exalted companion (BoED, 42), blightspawned from talontar blightlord (UE, 34), and horrid (ECS, 287).

Bullet06320
2014-04-22, 01:16 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011020a

this may be an option for you

Erik Vale
2014-04-22, 01:59 AM
Since you would already need UMD to cast it [cleric spell, only cast-able on own familiar/companion], you could use the spell to create a axiomatic anarchic celestial infernal creature.
[Take that logic!]

Also tack on mineralize warrior if you wish.

Zombimode
2014-04-22, 08:12 AM
Title says all. I couldn't find anything definitively stating otherwise, and as the entry states, technically only a 1st level druid companion is a typical creature.

"A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind
except as noted in the sidebar on page 36. As a druid advances in
level, the animal’s power increases as shown on the table in the
sidebar. "

Bending the rules, I suppose.

If a class feature or other ability lets you apply a template to your animal companion, sure.

As an example, there is an Utterance that applies the celestial or fiendish template to the targeted creature. Target your AC and voila, you have templated your AC.

Inevitability
2014-04-22, 08:25 AM
If a class feature or other ability lets you apply a template to your animal companion, sure.

As an example, there is an Utterance that applies the celestial or fiendish template to the targeted creature. Target your AC and voila, you have templated your AC.

For a second there, I thought you meant Armor Class...
Now that'd be weird.