PDA

View Full Version : Decent +1 Armor Enchantment?

heavyfuel
2014-04-21, 08:16 PM
It seems that magic/psionic armor doesn't get the same love as weapons. There are some really nice +1 enchantments for weapons but I can't seem to find one for armors.

I've checked the SRD, MIC and DMG2. Any other books I should look into? Or maybe even a specifc enchantment?

Thanks!

Techwarrior
2014-04-21, 09:33 PM
Blurring (MIC), Death Ward (MIC), and Nimbleness (MIC) are all great for everybody, but especially the lighter armored low fort types. Arrow Catching (SRD), Soulbound (MIC, MoI), and Bashing (SRD) are all great for the right builds as well. I've seen good use out of Energy Defense (MIC) and Anchoring (MIC), but those are too situational for my tastes.

PsyBomb
2014-04-21, 09:49 PM
Depending on the item before that +1, several of the MIC Armor Crystals might do you well.

jjcrpntr
2014-04-21, 10:18 PM
Depending on the item before that +1, several of the MIC Armor Crystals might do you well.

Ya I love having thistledown padded armor on my mystic theurge character. At level 9 i'll have high AC (greater luminous) with extra bonus vs melee, + against ranged (shield with the arrow deflection crystal) DR (armor crystal) and be crit immune (heart of series).

heavyfuel
2014-04-21, 10:25 PM
Blurring (MIC), Death Ward (MIC), and Nimbleness (MIC) are all great for everybody, but especially the lighter armored low fort types. Arrow Catching (SRD), Soulbound (MIC, MoI), and Bashing (SRD) are all great for the right builds as well. I've seen good use out of Energy Defense (MIC) and Anchoring (MIC), but those are too situational for my tastes.

I probably should've mentioned that, but what I'm really looking for are armors, not shields.

The problem with these is that they are all so freaking restrictive. Blurring is costs a swift action to activate, lasts only 5 rounds and can only be used 3/day. Same goes for Energy Defense. Deathward, 1/day. Soulbound is only ok if you have essentia.

The only 2 that aren't restrictive are Nimbleness and Anchoring. I'll give it to you that anchoring can be good, but it's only good every now and again. And Nimbleness is like it's not even trying.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a whiner. I guess I'm just somewhat disappointed that there are no +1 armor enchantments that can be used frequently while being really good like Spell Storing for example.

The item in question is an +1 Adamantine Full Plate being worn by a Psi-gish. I already have the DR 2/- crystal whose name I've forgotten, but thanks for the tip.

---------------------------------------

This reminds me, isn't there an optional rule somewhere (I think Wizards website) where you can make magical items without the obligatory +1? I vaguely remember seeing something like that...

jjcrpntr
2014-04-21, 10:27 PM
I probably should've mentioned that, but what I'm really looking for are armors, not shields.

The problem with these is that they are all so freaking restrictive. Blurring is costs a swift action to activate, lasts only 5 rounds and can only be used 3/day. Same goes for Energy Defense. Deathward, 1/day. Soulbound is only ok if you have essentia.

The only 2 that aren't restrictive are Nimbleness and Anchoring. I'll give it to you that anchoring can be good, but it's only good every now and again. And Nimbleness is like it's not even trying.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a whiner. I guess I'm just somewhat disappointed that there are no +1 armor enchantments that can be used frequently while being really good like Spell Storing for example.

The item in question is an +1 Adamantine Full Plate being worn by a Psi-gish. I already have the DR 2/- crystal whose name I've forgotten, but thanks for the tip.

---------------------------------------

This reminds me, isn't there an optional rule somewhere (I think Wizards website) where you can make magical items without the obligatory +1? I vaguely remember seeing something like that...

It's a +2 (+3 really because you have to get regular blurring) but blurring greater is awesome it lasts 10minutes and can activate as often as you want. So basically just every round you refresh it.

heavyfuel
2014-04-21, 10:31 PM
It's a +2 (+3 really because you have to get regular blurring) but blurring greater is awesome it lasts 10minutes and can activate as often as you want. So basically just every round you refresh it.

I know, right? I get greater blurring on almost all character when possible, it's that good. Unfortunately I'm bound to up to +2 items, seeing as it's an e6 campaign and all.

mabriss lethe
2014-04-22, 01:24 AM
Quickness (EPH) is a decent, if drab +1, granting +5 feet of movement, as is Light Fortification.

You'll find a lot more useful special abilities for armor that have a straight gold cost than have an enhancement bonus cost.

Arbane
2014-04-22, 11:35 AM
The problem with these is that they are all so freaking restrictive. Blurring is costs a swift action to activate, lasts only 5 rounds and can only be used 3/day.

I get the impression most fights don't last much more than 5 rounds, so that's three battles a day. Sounds pretty good to me...

Optimator
2014-04-22, 11:40 AM
3.5 Armor abilities (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1064841)

Super-cool.

heavyfuel
2014-04-22, 01:07 PM
I get the impression most fights don't last much more than 5 rounds, so that's three battles a day. Sounds pretty good to me...

The main problem is that pesky swift action activation. Using my swift action is just better than having some miss chance.

3.5 Armor abilities (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1064841)

Super-cool.

Super-dooper-cool! Thanks a bunch