PDA

View Full Version : Super skills! Combining skills to make better ones!

Archangel93
2014-04-22, 04:38 AM
My friend and I recently started DMing and we were trying to find a way to reduce a little bit of hassle. It started with the idea of trying to run from guards. Instead of jumping over, tumbling through or under, climbing up, or balancing on obstacles, we decided to make something new: parkour! Instead of making each individual jump, climb, tumble, or balance check, you just make one Parkour check to get through the whole obstacle course. It has combat usage as well and I'll leave that up to your imagination. To learn such a super skill, you must have 4 ranks in each of the parent skills and someone to teach you the skill. What do you think? Does anyone have ideas for other super skills?

umbrapolaris
2014-04-22, 05:09 AM
Backstabber Preparation: Hide + Move Silently + Spot

Trustful Liar: sense motive + bluff

Breakdancer: Acrobatics + perform (dance)

:smallbiggrin:

GorinichSerpant
2014-04-22, 06:10 PM
No Part Left Unused- Craft(Leather work)+ Craft(Bone carving) + Craft(Cooking)

For all your corpse cutting, and using needs. :smallamused:

I think some profession skills would make sense to be made this way, like Sailor can be Swim, Balance, Survival and Use Rope.

Veklim
2014-04-22, 06:16 PM
This is actually a pretty awesome idea....you could really run with it (excusing puns)

Also, I'd add Craft (Alchemy) to the list for Nothing Left Unused, since a lot of alchemical and spell component ingredients can be obtained from corpses...

1pwny
2014-04-22, 07:22 PM
Mental Mastery: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Control Shape (if applicable)

GorinichSerpant
2014-04-22, 11:43 PM
Also, I'd add Craft (Alchemy) to the list for Nothing Left Unused, since a lot of alchemical and spell component ingredients can be obtained from corpses...

I had a feeling I was missing something.

Sence I posted I'll add another one,

Blackmail and Agreements: Diplomacy+Forgery+Decipher Script+Bluff

Domriso
2014-04-23, 12:43 AM
I've got one!

Dominatrix: Intimidation + Use Rope + Perform (Sexual Technique)

umbrapolaris
2014-04-23, 02:28 AM
I've got one!

Dominatrix: Intimidation + Use Rope + Perform (Sexual Technique)

this one is huge :smallbiggrin: and can open many doors ^^

Archangel93
2014-04-23, 04:26 AM
How's this one:

Abductive reasoning (a.k.a. Sherlock Holmes)= concentration+gather information+search+sense motive.

Also, new aspect of this brainstorming session. What ability modifier does your super skill benefit from? For example: parkour takes from DEX and abductive reasoning takes from INT.

Veklim
2014-04-23, 05:07 AM
Do you mean deductive reasoning per chance...? Or are you implying Sherlock Holmes was a kidnapping expert...?

Archangel93
2014-04-23, 05:36 AM
To Velkim
You see, that's exactly what I said! But my coDM insists that sherlock's reasoning is more abductive than deductive. IDK what HIS reasoning is, but I digress.

Veklim
2014-04-23, 11:01 AM
Abstract reasoning perhaps? Hehehe

Regarding the stat, I'd actually say that the DM should assign the most relevant stat to the task in hand, and maybe asking for the higher or lower of 2 stats. There are times when intelligence and/or wisdom could come into Parkour, same as dexterity or strength could easily apply to certain butchering aspects of Nothing Left Unused.

What I REALLY like about this is the way it opens you to potential special abilities and techniques connected to each 'super skill' (needs better name!). Would add a nice string to skillful characters' bows...

GorinichSerpant
2014-04-23, 05:43 PM
A name better then "super skills" could be "advanced skills".

Archangel93
2014-04-24, 04:04 AM
GorinichSerpant, I like that. Kinda makes more sense.

Here's another one that my buddy and I thought of: Mentalism= gather information+diplomacy+ bluff+ knowledge (psychology)

BeholdenCaulf
2014-04-24, 12:53 PM
Convert:

Knowledge (religion) + Perform (public speaking) + diplomacy