PDA

View Full Version : Games similar to mount and blade- suggestions?

MrMercury
2014-04-22, 05:23 AM
What other games are there that you control one person, but go around recruiting and army and fighting with them, and ordering them around.
I'm actually really hoping that there is a game (Not ARMA, the order system is confusing and honestly the voice acting ruins it for me) where you can control a person but issue orders to an army.
I liked Men of War, and it would be perfect if I could go into first person with the person I'm controlling (that's it's limitation for me- not being able to go into first person.)
So yeah, a first person shooter with a strategy elements.
What about the notion of a "Strategic shooter" genre?

Manticoran
2014-04-22, 05:27 AM
Have you looked at Natural Selection 2? It's more of an FPS/RTS hybrid, I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for.

MrMercury
2014-04-22, 05:29 AM
Have you looked at Natural Selection 2? It's more of an FPS/RTS hybrid, I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for.

I actually have it, my friend gifted it to me on steam since he bought a 4 pack and had one extra.
I never downloaded it because of the hefty 10 GBs.
Would you mind educating me on it?
EDIT: I have weak internet, if you were wondering why I was hesitant to download a free game.
I did just look it up, and it looks interesting

Manticoran
2014-04-22, 05:47 AM
Sure, no problem. I'm Manticoran on Steam, and you can also catch me on Mumble most of the time.

Quick run down tho'... It's kind of an AvP vibe? But with Marines and no Predators and actually the Aliens are totally also Predators. Uhm. It has a pretty standard FPS format, where you have spawn points(Except they're entirely controlled and generated by the commander player on each team) where when you die you respawn and go back to killing the enemy, but both teams have their "Commander". The Commander's job is to unify his forces over voice chat and in text so that the team has unified goals, coordinate responses(The commander can see everything his troops can, so when he asks people to avoid or focus on certain parts of the map people tend to assume he has a damn good reason for doing so), and build all of your team's buildings and upgrades.

Each side is a little different on how that works tho'. Human upgrades are just researched at a little arms lab thing, while alien upgrades you need to build unlock buildings for, and then each individual player chooses which upgrades they want. Human buildings don't build by themselves, they need a fighter player to contstruct them(Until later, when the human player can build robots to do the work for people), while alien buildings construct on their own as long as they're in the alien's gross green expansiony ooze mess. Alien's also have a specific evolution upgrade they can choose(That is lost on death) that turns them into this acid spewing healbot that can make the alien's construction REALLY fast and also sets up barricades, tunnels, and other stuff like that across the map.

I guess the main difference I see is that you don't get that zoom in feel. You're either the commander and doing top-down control of the map, or you're a dude and it just plays like an FPS.

MrMercury
2014-04-22, 05:51 AM
Sure, no problem. I'm Manticoran on Steam, and you can also catch me on Mumble most of the time.

Quick run down tho'... It's kind of an AvP vibe? But with Marines and no Predators and actually the Aliens are totally also Predators. Uhm. It has a pretty standard FPS format, where you have spawn points(Except they're entirely controlled and generated by the commander player on each team) where when you die you respawn and go back to killing the enemy, but both teams have their "Commander". The Commander's job is to unify his forces over voice chat and in text so that the team has unified goals, coordinate responses(The commander can see everything his troops can, so when he asks people to avoid or focus on certain parts of the map people tend to assume he has a damn good reason for doing so), and build all of your team's buildings and upgrades.

Each side is a little different on how that works tho'. Human upgrades are just researched at a little arms lab thing, while alien upgrades you need to build unlock buildings for, and then each individual player chooses which upgrades they want. Human buildings don't build by themselves, they need a fighter player to contstruct them(Until later, when the human player can build robots to do the work for people), while alien buildings construct on their own as long as they're in the alien's gross green expansiony ooze mess. Alien's also have a specific evolution upgrade they can choose(That is lost on death) that turns them into this acid spewing healbot that can make the alien's construction REALLY fast and also sets up barricades, tunnels, and other stuff like that across the map.

I guess the main difference I see is that you don't get that zoom in feel. You're either the commander and doing top-down control of the map, or you're a dude and it just plays like an FPS.

That seems.... extremely interesting. I will download that overnight. I'll also add you on steam- my steam name is that same as this name here.

Care to play a few games with me?

Cespenar
2014-04-22, 05:54 AM
Divinity: Dragon Commander has you flying around as a dragon and commanding your troops just as you rain death on your enemies.

Also, Sacrifice had a similar system, IIRC.

Knaight
2014-04-23, 12:18 AM
I want to say that some of the Dynasty Warriors games are like this, though I don't know them well.