PDA

View Full Version : improved precise shot =/= autohit while grappling

reorith
2007-02-08, 09:08 PM
some one back me up on this.

...in addition, when you shoot or throw ranged weapons at a grappling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#grappling) opponent, you automatically strike at the opponent you have chosen.that means you don't roll to see which grappling opponent you hit right? a player is trying to convince me that it means whenever he sends his boar into a grapple, he can automatically hit his target.

edit: thank you maxymiuk

Maxymiuk
2007-02-08, 09:11 PM
You are correct and your player is wrong. Imp. Precise Shot means that while shooting into grapple he has 0% chance of hitting a target other than the one he selected (such as his boar). However, he still does need to roll sufficiently high to hit his chosen target.

EDIT: To be more precise... (har har)

Show your player Table 8-6: Armor Class Modifiers on page 151 of the PHB. From the footnote to the modifiers applied to grappling for ranged attacks:

Roll randomly to see which grappling combatant you strike. That defender loses any Dexterity bonus to AC.Emphasis mine.

Shisumo
2007-02-08, 10:45 PM
Key element: the word "at." There's a world of difference between automatically striking your target and automatically striking at your target.

oriong
2007-02-08, 11:27 PM
I think your player needs to be slapped across the face with a PHB for trying to pull that.

Thomas
2007-02-08, 11:30 PM
I think your player needs to be slapped across the face with a PHB for trying to pull that.

DM-slapped! Forget pimp-smacking.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-08, 11:37 PM
Forget pimp-smacking? But whatever will I do with my copy of Pimp: the Backhanding?

reorith
2007-02-09, 12:02 AM
yeah... i added a few ranks in craft(cooking) to the bbeg's list. who wants ribs? the wild empathy makes them even tastier