PDA

View Full Version : Hallucination Poison

Drathric
2014-04-22, 09:43 AM
I was curious, are there rules for a poison that causes hallucinations? If not, any suggestions on how to construct one?

Zaq
2014-04-22, 02:05 PM
The Poison homebrew in my sig has an option for just such a thing, but it is, of course, homebrew.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-22, 02:40 PM
One of the issues with 3.5 is that poisons were determined to be body-effecting instead of mind effecting. Body effecting things (like Con damage) require fort saves and mind effecting things (like illusions that everyone you see is an enemy) requires Will saves. This leads to some weird issues (case in point: the 3.5 conversion for Tomb of Horrors has a couple places where the 3.5 rules simply didn't fit, and the situation was changed to either be shockingly powerful or nerfed to the point that it wasn't much of an issue. (Generally, shockingly powerful is what I think they should've gone for with that particular module, but YMMV.))

There are a few things like this. Dream Serpents, for instance, have a weird effect related to their venom that causes people to dream about snakes. However, you may be better off creating your own effects and choosing to bend the rules about which saves are involved. An initial Fort save is probably the most fair, but it might be worth it to turn the secondary save into a Will save if the effect is going to include exposure to hallucinations.

Also, Pathfinder improved poisons a bit. Some of those poisons might give you better examples to work with (I'm not a Pathfinder expert, though, so I'm not sure of any good examples.)

Drathric
2014-04-22, 03:15 PM
The Poison homebrew in my sig has an option for just such a thing, but it is, of course, homebrew.

I like what you put together in your homebrew. It looks like I too will have to homebrew my poison. The consequences of your hallucinogenic poison seem to make sense, so I might employ them in my own version. Ty for the idea.