PDA

View Full Version : flay foe and two weapon fighting

Raezeman
2014-04-22, 10:19 AM
the feat flay foe (champions of ruin) states that you when you hit an ennemy more than once in a single round with a slashing melee weapon, you do an extra d6 damage each hit after the first. This is perfectly clear if you fight with 1 weapon, but the wording of "a slashing melee weapon" makes it a bit dubious for when fighting with two weapons. Do you only get the extra d6 when hitting a second time with a specific weapon or when the second hit is also a slashing weapon.

Example, i am wielding a longsword and a handaxe. I hit with the longsword and then i hit with the handaxe. Does the hit with the handaxe get an extra d6 damage from flay foe?

lytokk
2014-04-22, 11:27 AM
sounds like it should to me. Another question is whether or not the d6 are cumulative. Assuming 7 attacks in a full attack action, with all the improved 2 weapon feats and a high enough BAB, is that 1d6 on the second, 2d6 on the third, 3d6 on the fourth and so on? First time I've ever seen this feat so I'm curious as to the ruling.

Darrin
2014-04-22, 03:36 PM
Was there any errata on this feat? I don't see any 1d6 mentioned, just an extra point of damage:

"If you hit the same enemy more than once in a single round with a slashing melee weapon, you deal an extra point of damage with each hit after the first."

My reading... because "a slashing melee weapon" is referred to as singular, you have to track each slashing weapon individually. So this works with TWF, but hits with your first weapon don't add any damage to your second weapon, and vice versa.

I can't say I'm entirely confident about that interpretation, though.

Grayson01
2014-04-22, 03:44 PM
sounds like it should to me. Another question is whether or not the d6 are cumulative. Assuming 7 attacks in a full attack action, with all the improved 2 weapon feats and a high enough BAB, is that 1d6 on the second, 2d6 on the third, 3d6 on the fourth and so on? First time I've ever seen this feat so I'm curious as to the ruling.

I have to agree with the first part about it counting with each weapon so if you hit main hand then hit with off hand that's an extra D6.

As to the Cumulative D6s I thought the very first thing when I read it. From the way it's writen in the OP that is how I read it. Plus it's nice to give Mellee fighters nice things.

Raezeman
2014-04-22, 04:52 PM
Was there any errata on this feat? I don't see any 1d6 mentioned, just an extra point of damage:

"If you hit the same enemy more than once in a single round with a slashing melee weapon, you deal an extra point of damage with each hit after the first."

My reading... because "a slashing melee weapon" is referred to as singular, you have to track each slashing weapon individually. So this works with TWF, but hits with your first weapon don't add any damage to your second weapon, and vice versa.

I can't say I'm entirely confident about that interpretation, though.

I looked it up and it's definitely 1d6. And the "a slashing melee weapon" can be interpreted both ways, for which the reason of my doubt and this threat. You can also think of it like this:
I hit with my longsword, aka a slashing melee weapon. Then I hit with my handaxe, aka a slashing melee weapon, so i've hit the foe with a slashing melee weapon more than once in a single turn (nearly literal the feat description), so an extra d6!

So I guess this is another one of those "just ask you DM."

Necroticplague
2014-04-22, 05:08 PM
I don't think that the damage is cumulative because of how binary it seems. If X is true, Y. In this case,"hit the same enemy more than once in a single round with a slashing melee weapon" can only have 2 values: you've done it, or you haven't.

animewatcha
2014-04-23, 02:02 AM
There are two brother feats in that same book. Pulverize foe and skewer foe. Pretty much bludgeoning and piercing equivalent. Slashing by the chart is 1d6 so chalk it up to WOTC missing out on 'another one.' I read it as 2nd hit and on get 1d6 extra damage. Like first 1st hit 1d6, second hit 2d6, third hit 2d6. If it can be used for 3d6, 4d6, etc. Two-weapon fighting might be more viable.