PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Blight

Oseyerys
2014-04-22, 10:47 AM
Upon your arrival to Crestfall almost a week ago, you noticed instantly it wasn't the same as all the other times you have passed through the town. You checked in at the local tavern, The Silver Serpent, and noticed even the tavern didn't have it's normal upbeat ambiance. You decided to ask the owner, Garret Brackman, about what's been going on in the town. Brackman is a friend to all travelers who pass through. He runs a clean tavern and even those who work for him say he's an exceptional boss. Because his job involves providing shelter to travelers and adventurers, if anyone would know what was going on, he was the one.

Garret explains that about a month ago people started to fall ill to a strange sickness. It would start with a fever and chills. People then would then begin to bleed from their nose, mouth, and beneath their skin. Because of their state the afflicted would go into shock. The final stage of the illness was a blackening of the skin. That part of the body would die and was seen commonly in the fingers or toes. People seem to be blaming the rats that have started showing up in the town for the pestilence. The people have tried to exterminate the rats but they seem to keep showing up. A few farmers on the outskirts of the town have reported seeing figures coming out of and going into the local abandoned mine that hasn't been used since a large cave in some decades earlier. Some of the braver citizens went to go investigate and never returned. Garret explained that he would put his tavern on the bet that, whatever was afflicting the town, it was coming from the mine.

Since then you have spent your week in the town forming the party you're in now. You made an address to the town that you will go into the mine, if for nothing else to try and find the citizens who went investigating. Crestfall is hopeful in your endeavors and this morning you left The Silver Serpent to head for the mine with your company. Indeed there did seem to be some merit to Garret's words. As you get closer to the mine nature seems to cease to exist. The vegetation looks withered and dying. The birds sing less, the squirrels aren't seen as often as before. The tension is almost palpable when your company finally makes it to the entrance of the mine. A tiny hill with a opening to a tunnel that ventures down deep into the darkness. There are no signs outside, no life stirs around you, it is just your company and the gaping maw leading down into the earth. This is where your adventure begins...

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-22, 11:39 AM
Initiative: [roll0]
I'm not sure how to write in colour. I remember reading about it somewhere but I can't remember how to do it.
Rurik the Hardy
Rurik draws his axe and, holding his shield in front of his body, advances towards the mine. He slowly walks through the entrance, watching for any signs of an ambush with his darkvision.

dextercorvia
2014-04-22, 01:16 PM
Tempus

Well, except for all the dead things, this isn't creepy at all. Tempus quips as he follows Rurik into the mouth of the mine.

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-22, 01:21 PM
Richard

I'm not too worried about the dead, but I do wish we knew more about what causes the illness. What if we all get sick down there?

Even so, he stayed close behind Tempus, looking back and forth at the bodies.

Oseyerys
2014-04-22, 01:44 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
I'm not sure how to write in colour. I remember reading about it somewhere but I can't remember how to do it.
Rurik the Hardy
Rurik draws his axe and, holding his shield in front of his body, advances towards the mine. He slowly walks through the entrance, watching for any signs of an ambush with his darkvision.

Rurik The Hardy

Being a dwarf who loves the earth and underground. You are undaunted by the darkness before you. Being in the front of your group you see nothing but an empty tunnel leading lower and lower. There appear to be no traps or ambushes that your dwarven eyes can detect.

Tempus

Well, except for all the dead things, this isn't creepy at all. Tempus quips as he follows Rurik into the mouth of the mine.

Tempus

You are unable to see terribly far into the mine. The daylight outside casts a faint luminescence in the entrance of the tunnel but you know that, in another 50 feet or so, you won't even be able to see your hand in front of your face.

Richard

I'm not too worried about the dead, but I do wish we knew more about what causes the illness. What if we all get sick down there?

Even so, he stayed close behind Tempus, looking back and forth at the bodies.

Richard

You also are unable to see anything ahead of you more than 50 feet or so into the darkness.

Where you enter the tunnel you notice two unlit torches on each side of the wall. The tunnel, while wide and large enough for you all to see around each other, is only wide enough for you to walk in single file.

dextercorvia
2014-04-22, 01:49 PM
Tempus

Tempus squints into the darkness, then back at the light, and mutters, Yeah, not creepy at all.

He reaches for one of the torches and asks, Does anyone have a flint? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-22, 02:15 PM
Richard

Will this work?

Richard hands Tempus two of the rocks from his pockets.

dextercorvia
2014-04-22, 02:33 PM
Tempus

That ought to, thanks. Tempus steps back around the outside of the entrance, looking for a sheltered spot. He cracks the rocks together until he gets the tiniest of sparks. Gently blowing on the ember, he manages to catch the old torch alight.

*Richard*Would you mind carrying the torch? I think it's best if I keep both hands on my weapon. He then slips the extra torch into his pack, for later.

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-22, 02:48 PM
Richard

*Tempus* Sure.

Richard takes the torch, holding it as high as a halfling can.

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-22, 03:06 PM
Rurik the Hardy
*Everyone*Lets keep moving, but keep your eyes open.
Rurik moves forward, slowly, still watching out for any signs of movement.

The Dragon
2014-04-22, 04:55 PM
Arreane
Is more or less scared to death right now.
She's been gripping her bow tightly ever since she noticed the vegetation dying off, and her knuckles are almost bone-white by now.

Looking down that gaping maw, an interesting thought ran through her mind. Jail suddenly doesn't seem so bad, in comparison.

"Let's just go, guys."

Oseyerys
2014-04-22, 05:21 PM
Now with a source of light, you head once more into the mine...

You can feel as you walk the slight angle at which the tunnel descends into the earth. You all notice nothing unusual about the entry tunnel. It is eerily silent in the tunnel save for a steady, slow drip echoing from somewhere up ahead.

After about five minutes of walking you come up upon the mine's first room. It is the entry room to the mine, where miners would walk in to and out of the mine while guards monitored them. On the left side of the room upon entry were two tables where the guards would sit and watch the workers enter and exit. Straight ahead is more tunnel that leads farther into the darkness. Behind the tables, on the left is an old door leading to another room, presumably the quarters for the guards on watch. The door is cracked open but you cannot see into the room beyond. Old dusty papers and ledgers are strewn about the table and the surrounding floor. There are four torches mounted on the walls that were once used to illuminate the room. You isolate the dripping sound to a corner of the room opposite the tables that is slowly dripping water into a puddle on the floor.

One thing you do notice about the room is the lack of age. The town reported the mine to have been abandoned for decades and yet, but for some dust on the table and ledgers, there aren't very many signs of absence. There aren't many cobwebs nor is the air very stale.

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-22, 05:42 PM
Richard

Richard looks at Arreane, thinking She's got a point. You can't fight sickness like a goblin. I wish we had more info, but by the time we got any, it might be too late.

Richard walks over to the papers and checks them for anything useful.

The Dragon
2014-04-22, 05:47 PM
Arreane investigates the dripping noise. What's causing the puddle? She hoped the mine wasn't about to be flooded. That wouldn't be nice, being trapped underground with all that water...

Oseyerys
2014-04-22, 06:19 PM
Richard

Richard looks at Arreane, thinking She's got a point. You can't fight sickness like a goblin. I wish we had more info, but by the time we got any, it might be too late.

Richard walks over to the papers and checks them for anything useful.

Richard

The papers and ledgers on the table are yellowed and worn with age. What hasn't yet been eaten by rats and mice appears to be logs of the comings and goings of the workers. Here and there a paper contains an order that needed to be filled or a letter from town concerning workers. A few even are letters written from loved ones back in Crestfall that appear to have never gotten to the proper hands. Such is typical as all papers had to be cleared by the watch and it was the watch's duty to log those entering and leaving and at what times.

Arreane investigates the dripping noise. What's causing the puddle? She hoped the mine wasn't about to be flooded. That wouldn't be nice, being trapped underground with all that water...

Arreane

The water dripping simply appears to be from a pocket in the earth above that stores water from a rainfall. The puddle appears to be neither increasing nor decreasing in size as it is soaking as fast as it can into the supersaturated ground beneath it. Because of this it would appear as though this portion of the ceiling has been dripping for some time.

dextercorvia
2014-04-22, 09:11 PM
Tempus

Tempus takes one of the torches from it's sconce, and light's it in the fire of Richard's torch. He then hangs it in the ring closest to the door. Carefully with the tip of his spear, he then tries to open the door slightly more, hoping for a peek at what is inside.

Oseyerys
2014-04-22, 09:46 PM
Tempus

Tempus takes one of the torches from it's sconce, and light's it in the fire of Richard's torch. He then hangs it in the ring closest to the door. Carefully with the tip of his spear, he then tries to open the door slightly more, hoping for a peek at what is inside.

Tempus

The door opens slightly inward with a nudge from your spearhead and all you are able to see is the adjacent wall signifying that the door is in the corner of the room and the room opens up in the other direction. You will be unable to see anything until you can peek around the door. However you hear the door creak slightly as it moves on its rusty hinges...

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-23, 12:56 AM
Rurik the Hardy
Rurik leaps through the doorway and stares into the dark, hoping to catch anyone who attacked from the other side.

Oseyerys
2014-04-23, 07:38 AM
Tempus

You push the door open even farther, the door continuing to creak on it's hinges. In the silence, the sound seems even more amplified. You open the door enough to see the around the door. In this room there are cots and beds where the watch of the mine would stay and rest when they were on duty. This room, unlike the last, did show signs of vacancy. There were much more cobwebs and dust to be had. The air of this room was staler, for not being ventilated due to the closed door. Opposite the room from you there is another door. This door you presume would be the captains quarters for the captain of the guards posted here did not likely sleep and work in the same room as the rest of the guards. In the back corner of the room there is what once was a pantry for storage. You see that the supplies are no more. This room is not lit like the last and therefore harder to see into but you are able to make out three forms, roughly the size of dogs, on the other side of the room moving at you quickly. It is at that point that Rurik leaps in front of you...

Rurik the Hardy
Rurik leaps through the doorway and stares into the dark, hoping to catch anyone who attacked from the other side.

Rurik the Hardy

You leap through the door in preparation for anything that might be on the other side. Your dwarven sight makes it easier to see in the dark and you see everything Tempus saw in the room, as well as three figures that are the size of dogs and look like over sized rats coming straight at you from across the room at an alarming rate...

Rurik I need a reflex save from you...

Don't worry about these until after you make your reflex save I just put them up here to save time later... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtains...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-23, 10:03 AM
Richard

Richard notices that some of the party members have gone in the next room. He picks up the papers he had been looking at, then walks over to the door and sticks his head in to check it out.

spot check [roll0]
listen check [roll1]
move silently check [roll2]

Edit: apparently preview post and rolls do not mix oops.

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-23, 10:06 AM
spot check [roll0]
listen check [roll1]

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-23, 10:36 AM
Rurik the Hardy
What in Moradin's name!? Cries Rurik as he spots the advancing figures.

Reflex Save: [roll0]
Also, I might change my speech colour to something like orange, I'm finding the light blue is kind of hard to read against the background.

Oseyerys
2014-04-23, 11:35 AM
Richard

Richard notices that some of the party members have gone in the next room. He picks up the papers he had been looking at, then walks over to the door and sticks his head in to check it out.

spot check [roll0]
listen check [roll1]

Edit: apparently preview post and rolls do not mix oops.

spot check [roll0]
listen check [roll1]

Richard

You peek your head around the corner just in time to see three figures launching themselves at Rurik who is already in the room.

Rurik the Hardy
What in Moradin's name!? Cries Rurik as he spots the advancing figures.

Reflex Save: [roll0]
Also, I might change my speech colour to something like orange, I'm finding the light blue is kind of hard to read against the background.

Rurik the Hardy

The rats do not entirely catch you off guard (you are in an abandoned mine after all) although they are slightly surprising. Nonetheless, as you entered the room you did prepare yourself to face danger and that preparation was not in vain. You steel yourself and meet the oncoming attackers...

Your reflex save successfully saved you from being surprise attacked. You now have the first attack and should be treated as general combat. You may make your attack rolls, shout to warn the others, and any other thing you'd like to do during your turn.

Oseyerys
2014-04-23, 11:40 AM
Those outside the guards quarters

You do hear some skittering of feet and screeching from the adjacent room where Rurik burst into not a moment ago...

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-23, 11:50 AM
Richard

*Rurik* I'm going to distract them! This noise isn't real!

Richard uses Ghost Sound, putting the sound of four humans shouting angrily just behind the rats.

StormBorn
2014-04-23, 12:38 PM
Thar Goldenbear
Up until now, Thar was on the rear, just following the rest of the members, not really paying any attention to the surroundings, he was thinking, on the many many different causes of this dssease, normally filth fever wound present I this way, it seems a little bit extreme. Any ways. He was zoned out, until the walk into the first room, and he hears rurik cry out the name of moradin.

*Rurik the Hardy* ya' ok mate?.. there's no need to use the name of the allfather in bane!

Then he rises his shield high, and with his battle Axe, charges into the room and attacks any potential enemie, hopefully anyone whos flanking.

Attack [roll0] Dmg: [roll1]
(+2 to attack if flanking)
Crit confirm if needed [roll2]

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-23, 01:03 PM
Rurik the Hardy
*The Party* There's a bunch of rats in here! *The Rats* Alright, come here you ugly rodents!
Rurik launches himself at the nearest rat, swinging down upon its head with his war axe. If the rat falls, he follows the blow with another one to the rat nearby.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Cleave Attack(If first rat drops): [roll2]
Cleave Damage: [roll3]

Oseyerys
2014-04-23, 01:20 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

... mmhmm...

Richard

*Rurik* I'm going to distract them! This noise isn't real!

Richard uses Ghost Sound, putting the sound of four humans shouting angrily just behind the rats.

Richard

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Two of the rats are affected by your spell. They hesitate in the middle of the room from their primary charge, unsure of what to do now that they appear to be caught on both sides. The third rat is undaunted and has a wild look in it's eyes of bloodlust. This rat continues its charge on Rurik.

Thar Goldenbear
Up until now, Thar was on the rear, just following the rest of the members, not really paying any attention to the surroundings, he was thinking, on the many many different causes of this dssease, normally filth fever wound present I this way, it seems a little bit extreme. Any ways. He was zoned out, until the walk into the first room, and he hears rurik cry out the name of moradin.

*Rurik the Hardy* ya' ok mate?.. there's no need to use the name of the allfather in bane!

Then he rises his shield high, and with his battle Axe, charges into the room and attacks any potential enemie, hopefully anyone whos flanking.

Attack [roll0] Dmg: [roll1]
(+2 to attack if flanking)
Crit confirm if needed [roll2]

Thar Goldenbeard

You burst into the room and, consequently, all the commotion. Your dwarven eyes pierce the darkness to see the three large rats about to slam into Rurik. One of the rats gets within the range of your weapon and you swing your axe at it. But just as your axe is about to make contact and cleave the rat in half, it leaps into the air to launch itself at Rurik who is to your left.

You all came in through the doorway and are so far as I know still on one side of the room. The rats are coming from the other side so you are in no position to flank them at this point.

Rurik the Hardy
*The Party* There's a bunch of rats in here! *The Rats* Alright, come here you ugly rodents!
Rurik launches himself at the nearest rat, swinging down upon its head with his war axe. If the rat falls, he follows the blow with another one to the rat nearby.

Cleave Attack(If first rat drops): [roll2]

Rurik the Hardy

Richard's spell appears to have payed off. Now with only one rat attacking you for the moment as opposed to three the tables have turned in your favor. The rat takes to the air just as Thar's axe swings at the ground where it was, heading for your face. You rise to meet it and bring your axe down upon the rodent, taking this opportunity to injure it while the other rats are confused. Your steel meets bone with a sickening crunch and the rat goes flying back to the ground. You remove your axe from it's place in the rat's head and, to your astonishment see the rat slowly rise to face you once more.

dextercorvia
2014-04-23, 01:28 PM
Tempus

Tempus steps up behind Rurik. He looks for an opening and tries to skewer one of the rats attacking his comrade.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Oseyerys
2014-04-23, 01:35 PM
Tempus

Tempus steps up behind Rurik. He looks for an opening and tries to skewer one of the rats attacking his comrade.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Tempus

After Rurik's initial blow to the rat, it rises slowly back up once again to face him. You quickly come to the dwarf's aid and stab the rat right were it's new wound is before it can move to attack, driving your spear deeper into its flesh than the initial cut. The rat screeches in pain and falls back down where it moves no more.

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-23, 01:43 PM
Rurik the Hardy
Rurik takes the opportunity, with the rat having been killed, to speak to Thar.
*Thar Goldenbeard* Sorry about the blasphemy and all that, bit shocked thats all. Stinking rodents nearly caught me off guard. Nothing I can't handle though.
He then swings his axe into the body of the nearest rat, taking advantage of its distraction.

Cleave Attack: [roll2]

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-23, 01:47 PM
Richard

Richard follows up the spell with getting out his sling and attacking one of the two surviving rats.

Attack [roll0] Dmg: [1d3]
Crit confirm if needed [roll1]

Foxyfelix9
2014-04-23, 01:50 PM
[roll0]

additional characters for length requirement

StormBorn
2014-04-24, 07:30 PM
Rurik the Hardy
Rurik takes the opportunity, with the rat having been killed, to speak to Thar.
*Thar Goldenbeard* Sorry about the blasphemy and all that, bit shocked thats all. Stinking rodents nearly caught me off guard. Nothing I can't handle though.
He then swings his axe into the body of the nearest rat, taking advantage of its distraction.

Cleave Attack: [roll2]

*Rurik the hardy* No problem mate, just remember, the master of forges hears it all.
The thar moves forward, to the nearest rat, and Attacks.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

Oseyerys
2014-04-24, 08:50 PM
Rurik the Hardy

After apologizing to Thar you approach the remaining two rats who are still confused. You bring your axe down on one and smite the vermin into the ground. Not only do you kill it but you practically sever it in two... there is clearly no life left in this rat.

Richard

After Rurik smote the first rat, the second rat was shocked out of its confusion just as you sling your stone at it. It dodges to the side just before the stone makes contact.

Thar

You approach the remaining rat who is now cornered by two dwarves. It spits and hisses at you as you bring your axe around to it. This rat proves harder to kill than the other two as it jumps back to avoid the deadly arc of your steel.

dextercorvia
2014-04-24, 10:09 PM
Tempus

Tempus again steps up behind his dwarven comrade, Rurik. The bard stabs past the warrior, aiming for the last rat.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Oseyerys
2014-04-24, 10:24 PM
Tempus

Your spear lunges out to try and pierce the rat but the rat snarls and anticipates the attack that killed it's den mate. It jumps onto one of the cots to avoid the spearhead and uses the additional height to prepare to lunge at Rurik...

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-25, 01:57 AM
Rurik the Hardy
At the next opportunity Rurik swings his axe towards the rat.

[roll0]

StormBorn
2014-04-25, 10:25 AM
Tempus

Your spear lunges out to try and pierce the rat but the rat snarls and anticipates the attack that killed it's den mate. It jumps onto one of the cots to avoid the spearhead and uses the additional height to prepare to lunge at Rurik...

Thar grunts with frustration, and wildly trys to ends The rats miserable life
Moradin! Guide me!!
1d20+3 dmg: [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]

StormBorn
2014-04-25, 10:29 AM
SOrry for double posting.
Can we take, the confirm roll?

If not...[roll0]

Oseyerys
2014-05-04, 07:52 PM
Rat

The rat lunges at Rurik from the bed. Rurik manages to get out of the way and the rat lands back on the ground in a hissing and spitting fit.

Rurik the Hardy

In your surprise from the attack you take a swing at the rat as it lands and miss due to your unbalance.

Thar

In a fit of frustration you've had enough and bring your axe down on the rat. You cleave into it's flesh and it squeals until it moves no more.

To all

All threats in the room have been eliminated...

dextercorvia
2014-05-04, 09:27 PM
Tempus

Tempus jumps at the squeal. Once he is certain all of the rodents are still, he starts looking around the room. He carefully pokes at debris with his spear, then moves in for a closer look. Waving at Richard, *Richard* Can you bring that light over closer?

Taking 20 a few times to search the room. (Check result would be 25)

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-04, 10:11 PM
Richard

Man, humans are unreal. My heart is still pounding and he just starts checking the rest of the room.

*Tempus* You got it.

So far I've been as much use a lampstand as a caster, but if that's what it takes...

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-05, 05:34 AM
Rurik the Hardy
Rurik stands guard as the others investigate the room

Oseyerys
2014-05-11, 06:30 PM
Tempus and Richard

You see nothing out of the ordinary concerning the room. In the back closet where the rats had made their nest you see bones and carcasses of smaller animals that had fallen prey to the over sized rodents. Upon closer inspection of the rats you do see something peculiar... patches of the rats fur and flesh appear to have corroded. The rats were definitely alive and yet, their skin seemed to be afflicted with something... something that even disease carrying rats seem to be able to fall prey to.

To all

The room appears to have nothing noteworthy left behind as, when the mine was abandoned, the guards would have taken all their belongings and items of value with them. The door opposite the door that you entered appears to be of sturdy wood and seems to be a part of the original blueprints of the mine. This door is closed.

dextercorvia
2014-05-11, 10:20 PM
Tempus

These rats look diseased. I guess that means we are in the right mine. It doesn't look like they ever made it through that door, perhaps we ought to see what is behind there. Tempus investigates the door. Setting his spear on the floor beside him, he pulls a few tools from a pocket, and probes for signs of traps.

Search 25 (taking 20)
Disable Device [roll0] (Just in case)
Open Lock 27 (taking 20)

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-12, 11:23 PM
Richard

*Tempus* You got it. Richard throws a rock at the door.

Bluff check on the door, let's go. 27, taking 20.

Unless it works...

dextercorvia
2014-05-13, 10:20 AM
Tempus

When he hears the rock hit the door, Tempus thinks that he triggered trap. He dives face first into the stone floor about five feet from his previous position, with hands covering his head.

Naughty naughty :smallwink:

Oseyerys
2014-05-13, 10:37 AM
Tempus

You detect no traps and the door does not appeared to be locked however there does seem to be something holding it closed on the other side as would a table or shelf. Upon closer inspection you see that there are many large, furious scratches in the door, suspiciously at the rough height of the monstrous rodents you just fought.

Richard

Your rock hits the door creating a dull thud, not the typical echo you would expect from the other side. You figure something would have to be in contact with the door for the sound to die out as it did. However as the rock hits the door does not move and there appears to be no reaction or sound from anything in the room beyond.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-13, 01:21 PM
Richard

Huh, can't believe that didn't work. It sounds like it's blocked. Maybe there was a cave-in on the other side?

After seeing Tempus dive, *Tempus* Find anything down there?

Richard is helping. :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2014-05-13, 08:28 PM
Tempus

The rogue picks himself up, dabbing a spot of blood off his lip. *Richard*No, I thought maybe my dignity was down there, but it appears I've lost it altogether. He scoops up his tools and returns them to their pouch. I'm afraid we're going to have to put our back into this one. *Rurik*, you've been awful quiet. Did that rat take it out of you? I was hoping you might be inclined to lend this door your axe.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-14, 10:32 AM
Rurik
"Right, I've got an axe. Almost forgot!" Rurik charges at the stubborn door, swinging his axe at it, hoping he has the backup of his companions in case he gets into trouble.

Oseyerys
2014-05-14, 01:20 PM
Rurik the Hardy

Your axe bites into the sturdy yet aging wood and takes out a chunk of the door enough for you to peak inside. The first thing that hits you is the pungent smell of the room. The stale, acrid odor of human waste and rot hits your nostrils like a brick wall. Using your dwarven vision, you see it is a smaller room with a bed in one corner and a desk littered with papers in the middle with shelves lining the room full of dusty old books and ledgers. You presume this to be the room where the captain who was posted here would stay. You can see that on the other side of the door, is a table that had been moved to hold it closed. In the chair behind the desk, slumped forward with his face to the table, is a man. Judging by the smell and his slightly rotting skin you assume him to be dead but only just recently, within the past few weeks perhaps.

To everyone else

You see Rurik cleave into the door and look inside, you cannot see within for the room is dark and you Richard, who has the torch, is in the back of the group...

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-14, 02:04 PM
Richard

Richard thinks to himself, Is it possible that Rurik is stronger than a rock? Perhaps I should have learned axework, not magic... He runs up behind Rurik, holding the torch and glancing around him. Lemme see, lemme see.

dextercorvia
2014-05-14, 08:58 PM
Tempus

The rogue retrieves his spear, and readies it against whatever might be on the other side of the door. Ugh. He puts his nose in his sleeve. *Rurik*What is that smell? Did you burst open a zombie?

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-15, 02:18 AM
Rurik
Rurik steps away from the door so everyone can see in.

Oseyerys
2014-05-15, 08:06 AM
To everyone

The foul odor begins to seep out of the room and hits all of you as you step up to see what lies within. You see the table positioned in front of the door and figure that, with a good shove, you'd be able to push the table and open the door. You look at the person slumped over the desk to make sure he's dead and yes, he is most definitely dead. Because of his position, you can't tell much about the deceased from your current position.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-15, 08:15 AM
Richard

Gross, he looks infected as hell. Let's torch the body and go back to the tunnel.

dextercorvia
2014-05-15, 10:14 AM
Tempus

He had blockaded himself in that room. Perhaps he was trying to hide something valuable, or maybe he knew what was causing the plague and was writing it down. We should look around before torching the corpse. Tempus puts his shoulder into the door and pushes.

Oseyerys
2014-05-15, 11:54 AM
To everyone

You push on the door and, after a few tries, manage to force the door open, swinging it on it's rusty hinges and pushing the table aside. Inside the room you all get a better view of the captain's personal quarters. The dusty bookshelves are littered with old, mundane, common texts that could be found anywhere. It is likely that, when the mine was abandoned and the Captain returned to Crestfall, he took all texts of value with leaving behind the books of less value behind for ease of transportation.

Some of these tomes you recognize such as Of the Battle of Red Rock which, as everyone who knows anything knows that that particular battle was won by Sigmund Greymane, a powerful archmage who stood before an army of 5,000 goblins with nothing but a handful of apothecary's and acolytes. You see another book which every child had been read by their parents; Albert and the Bumbling Bugbear. These books, as you know, would be well-recognized and popular literature, but quite worthless because of it seeing as many would have their own copies.

In the far corner opposite the bed, you see that the man had been in here for some time as there is a moderately sized pile of human waste which is adding to the stench that permeates the room.

The captain's desk, as the check-in table was, is littered with ledgers and papers concerning the old mine that the captain never bothered to deal with once the mine closed. There is also an inkwell with some peculiar red dye and a quill inside as well as a candle with some wax, presumably for a seal, on the desk. Behind the desk there are two sconces for torches although only the one on the right actually has a torch in it.

Moving over to the man you see that he wears the clothes of one of the people of Crestfall. The man's fearful eyes have clouded over with coagulation due to his passing and his skin is starting to rot but, as far as you can tell, he does not have the telltale signs of affliction. Quite likely his skin is simply rotting from being dead for some time. Rigor mortis has long since set in but you do see the man's left hand clenching a book of some sort.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-15, 02:10 PM
Richard

Richard puts his torch in the open sconce. Then he yanks all the books out of the shelves and make a book-chair out of them on the floor. He sits in it and starts reading Albert and the Bungling Bugbear to his snake.

Someone else mess with the dead guy; I'll be doing this until further notice.

I'm so keeping this book and using it at every possible opportunity.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-15, 02:35 PM
Rurik
Rurik stands guard, but he'll pick up the other book and check it for any annotations the dead guy might have left.

dextercorvia
2014-05-15, 09:39 PM
Tempus

Oh come on, you two. Wrinkling up his nose, Tempus grabs the book from the dead man's hands. Now, what were you writing about? He flips it open and looks inside.

Oseyerys
2014-05-15, 10:20 PM
Richard

You plop yourself down and read to Nadeline the familiar tale about how Albert, an energetic young bard who encounters a Bugbear who is the clumsiest of them all. You read about how Albert teaches the Bugbear the ways of music so that it could find it's rhythm. The story finishes with Albert and the Bugbear starting a performing troupe and living happily ever after.

Rurik the Hardy and Tempus

You pry the dead man's hand away from the book that his hand clenches. It's a journal. There are four entries only the last being written in the red ink.

The first entry of the journal this man, who identifies himself as Marcus in his writings, talks about how he and two of his friends, Alan and Christian, are going to go into the mine to figure out what has happened to Crestfall. He writes how he will analogue whatever they find in the mine, in his log to share with the town.

The second entry of Marcus' journal talk about how they had just entered the mine and got to the main shaft. He makes a few notes about the elevator mechanism

... Thank goodness for Christian, we couldn't get the elevator to work but he took a look at the gears that raise and lower the carriage and it turns out that they need to be pressurized by a contraption in the back room which was a hidden doorway. We only found it because Christian leaned against the wall on the right of the carriage. There must be some hidden button that opens the door. Inside was the pressurizer and there was a number of levers but the one that pressurized the gears was on the far right.

The third entry talks about the untimely death of Christian...

... We are down in the mining pits now... Everything is eerily quiet down here... There is airweed that is supplying us air down here and some light but that is small comfort. We lost Christian today. The miner's dug extremely deep and we happened to be crossing a bridge in a cavern today. The bridge was rotting but we figured with one person crossing at a time, it would hold. I went first, then Alan, and finally Christian. When Alan was about three quarters of the way across something spooked Christian and he ran onto the bridge, his sudden and erratic movements snapped the lines and he fell to his death in the cavern below. I can still hear his screams of fear... But now we must look for a new way back and we begin our search tomorrow... or whatever passes for "tomorrow" in this god forsaken pit.

The last entry is written in the peculiar red ink but is hard to read due so smudging and hasty writing...

It's over... Everything is over. We ------ foolish. It all started with Christian's death. His --------- awoke --------------- alerted them --------. We tried searching for a way out but it is a labyrinth down there. We ---- haunted by beings in the shadows ----------. We were never alone... Here the whole time we ------------ trying to find some contamination... It is so much more than that. ------- Crestfall-------- danger. It's not a pestilence. It's ----------. It was --------- Alan. We were chased ------------- and dragged him to the ground----kept running and it was Alan's life that saved mine. But the safety was temporary. I managed to --------- through the tunnels to the elevator carriage ------------ thinking I was safe. But ----- stopped the carriage. I ------------------- climbed the slant ------------- following. Even now ------- approaching... I'm hiding -------------- they pass by and miss ---------- barricaded the door. But I don't know if it will hold. I may --------------- writing this in my blood in hopes that someone who finds this --------------- if it's not too late. They're coming... They're right outside ----------... They're trying to get in... Farewell...

dextercorvia
2014-05-16, 10:32 PM
Tempus

This is some depressing literature. Apparently this is one of the last adventurers to try and figure out this problem. He fared better than his companions. Tempus passes the book around and lets the others read the book as well. I get the feeling that these creatures they stirred up weren't just kobolds or dragons. Does anyone else notice that they got to him, but the door was still barricaded? I think we are dealing with spooks that can walk through walls. I can't even tell how they killed him. No claws, bites or knives.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-18, 07:29 PM
Richard

Good, I hate claws, bites, and knives. How do we know he didn't just bleed to death from using his blood as ink? I think we are dealing with a Ghost of Unwise Decisions.

dextercorvia
2014-05-18, 09:14 PM
Tempus

It's not that long of a letter. Still the fellow does sound a little bloodless, jumping at shadows. I'm going to check around a bit more and make sure we didn't miss anything. Should only take a few minutes. If I were in charge of this place, I'd have installed a nook to keep a nip of whiskey in. Tempus begins scrounging around the room. He pulls on torch brackets, looks through the bookshelves, and generally finishes the job of wrecking the room.

Take 20 (25)to search each of the walls in the room.

Oseyerys
2014-05-18, 11:07 PM
Tempus

You look around the room and come to the conclusion that this room is, in fact, just a plain old room. You do see something peculiar as you scan over the man once again... you look at the man's eyes, as they say the eyes are the window to the soul. Some believe that the last thing a person ever saw will be etched into their eyes. For this reason you glance at the mans' eyes and, beneath the coagulation of the cornea, you notice something unnerving; the man's pupil is not normal. Instead of a circle for a pupil as almost everyone had, Marcus had pupils that outlined three spirals that intersected at the middle. When he died, Marcus had these pupils in his eyes for it happened before the coagulation began and therefore before his death.

The pupils look as follows
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Triple-Spiral-Symbol-filled.svg/641px-Triple-Spiral-Symbol-filled.svg.png

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-18, 11:38 PM
Richard

Oh shirt, I've seen this before...

[roll0]

Oseyerys
2014-05-18, 11:55 PM
Richard

Due to your study of the arcana, you know that this symbol resembles death and pestilence in a language long thought forgotten. The language this symbol originates from is that of the infernal. You also know that it was likely a curse placed on Marcus. Whether Marcus' cause of death was from the curse or not is questionable as he didn't appear to be too terribly sickly when he died. It is possible he just died while waiting and hiding in here but you do know that a spell that would do this was one of great magnitude and power. Whatever was in this mine didn't mess around.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-19, 12:11 AM
Richard

Okay, in ten words or less - this is super evil curse shirt guys. This probably means that something infernal and powerful is at the bottom of the mine, and that's the cause of the sickness, not any normal viruses. Glancing back and forth between his companions, Richard was getting more and more animated. Killing people is terrible, but it's below the pay grade here. We need to find out what's really going on.

dextercorvia
2014-05-19, 10:36 PM
Tempus

Sighing, the rogue acknowledges the point. Alright, if we have to go find the creepy evil pestilence demon, we might as well try to get it done before dinner. So, what was your book about? We didn't have a lot of bard's books in the highlands.

Tempus checks through the door before starting out.

I'd like to search the last two rooms as well, but don't want to take up post time to talk about it, since it isn't fun for the others. We rushed into this room from the last, and I wasn't the rogue when we found the first room. So, if is okay with everyone, I'm going to take 20 to search both rooms.

Then we can continue down the passage from the first room.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-20, 12:19 AM
Richard

*Tempus* You didn't hear me finish the story? Okay, after Albert and the Bugbear had escaped Hopscotch Palace, they had one final obstacle - the Guardian Worm. All of the other challenges had helped Albert teach the Bugbear to find his rhythm, but to get past the Worm, the Bugbear had to teach Albert to walk without rhythm. It was very difficult, but eventually they both got away and started a French electronic music duo that was heard Around the World. The happiest of endings.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-20, 01:10 PM
Rurik
"Well as long as this curse thing has at least something to do with smashing people's heads in i'm fine with it. Do you think we can take it?" Asks Rurik. He will do anything he can to help with whatever the others are doing.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-20, 01:47 PM
Richard

*Rurik* I'm not really sure. All we know about it at this point is that it's infernal and powerful. Still, I'm sure taking your axe to the face is no way to improve anything's day.
Richard reluctantly abandons his book-throne (after tucking Albert and the Bumbling Bugbear into one of his pockets). He grabs the torch and follows Tempus out of the room, lighting the rogue's way to help the search.

Oseyerys
2014-05-20, 08:20 PM
To all

You head back into the two other rooms you previously passed through. These rooms yield more of the mundane and you conclude that anything in these rooms would not be helpful to the matters at hand. You continue along the dark passage.

After another fifty yards or so beyond the first room you encountered, you come across another room, this one being more spacious. This room is rather empty save for a large metallic carriage in the middle of the far end of the room, above which being a strange phrase: Hic coepit, ita et hic finis est. This phrase is written in large red letters (unnervingly similar in color and appearance to the ink used for Marcus' last entry) and whoever wrote them streaked the letters off, as though written by something with claws. Concerning the carriage, it appears to be the elevator mechanism. You walk into the elevator and can see that, instead of going straight down, it slants down at an angle into the depths of which you cannot see. This makes Marcus' writing clearer as you recall him writing about how he climbed up the elevator shaft to avoid... whatever it was he was avoiding. You all look at the control mechanism in the elevator, which consists of two levers. The lever on the left appears to be the brake, holding the elevator in it's current position while the other lever appears to be controlling which direction the gears would carry the carriage, being up or down. The brake lever is currently in the down position while the directional lever is in the middle of three positions (up, middle, down).

You move the brake into the up position and can feel the carriage jostle slightly as the claws holding holding it let go. You then move the directional lever down... Nothing happens. You try moving it into the up position... More of the same occurs as you go no where.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-20, 08:58 PM
Richard

Huh...I'm not great at any languages other than common and halfling, but I think the words above the elevator say something like - 'Here starts the party, but we all have to go home eventually.' Wonder what it means.
Richard steps up to jiggle the elevator controls, but fails like everyone else. Well, if Marcus climbed up the shaft, surely we can climb down. Anyone bring any rope?

dextercorvia
2014-05-20, 09:39 PM
Tempus

As they enter the chamber, Tempus looks up. My ancient Suloise is pretty rusty, but I'm pretty sure that sign says "Welcome to the last day of your life." He laughs nervously, the effort at making light of the situation falling flat, even in his own ears.

Tempus is not entirely surprised that the elevator carriage doesn't work. He heads over to the wall to the right of the carriage and probes around for the secret door.

Take 20 on the search check. You knew I wouldn't forget, right?

Oseyerys
2014-05-20, 11:09 PM
Tempus

You feel around the wall that Marcus' journal said concealed a control room for the elevator and, after feeling around the rocky wall for a few moments, your fingers find and push in an artificial stone that would not be easily discernible from the rest of the wall. You hear a few clicks and watch as an outline of a door appears in the dusty wall. The door slides inward upon your push. Inside the control room there is a large setup on the far side of the wall. There are buttons and levers along the entire length of the mechanism with dials to show pressure and the like. As of right now, there is no pressure running through the gears. So far as you can tell there are four main levers that are connected to the contraption, one one the left end of it, two side-by-side in the middle, and one on the right side. The one on the left is flipped forward, the second from the left is flipped downward as is the third from the left while the one on the far right is flipped forward...

dextercorvia
2014-05-21, 11:15 AM
Tempus

Tempus darts back over to the carriage and re-engages the brake. He makes sure the control lever is in the middle position, then goes back to the hidden room. Flipping the journal open to the first entry to double check, Tempus reaches for the far right switch and toggles it. He is intrigued by the other switches, but manages to contain his curiousity, for now. Tempus checks the gauges to see if that pressurized the geers.

I suppose that means down, as you only mentioned forward or down.

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-21, 11:19 AM
Richard

Richard backs out of the elevator and stands safely outside until Tempus figures the thing out. No one ever answered the rope question...

dextercorvia
2014-05-21, 12:53 PM
Tempus

What's that? Rope? Of course. Who doesn't bring rope when they are exploring a creepy old mine? The rogue is obviously preoccupied with the machinery. Wait a second. This room is too symmetric. Let me check something.

Tempus hustles to the blank wall on the other side of the carriage and starts poking around. There should be another door over here, somewhere.

This happens after you tell me whether the gears are pressurized now. If they are, great, but if they aren't he'll figure it out after. Take 20 to search this wall (25)/

Oseyerys
2014-05-21, 07:03 PM
Tempus

After confirming with Marcus' journal, you pull the lever from the forward position into the downward position. A barely audible hiss is heard as compressed air is released into the elevator mechanism, pressuring the gears. You check the gauges to confirm this before heading out. You then head over to the other side of the room and feel around. Sure enough, after some poking and prodding another stone is pushed in revealing another room about the same size as the control room. This room contains a few benches and some boxes which are stacked in a corner. Out of curiosity you stalk over to the boxes and peer inside. Within contain some old medical equipment. This was likely a treating room if a miner were to be injured while working. These two rooms were likely concealed so that they could not be easily tampered with. Most of the nicer and more helpful material had been removed (likely when the mine was abandoned) but you do manage to find three sets of bandages and cleansing ointments.

To all

After Tempus goes about his business in the new secret room, you all get on the elevator. Once again you disengage the brake and try the directional lever once more. The elevator, after some creaks and groans from the long unused gears, begins to descend into the deep...

dextercorvia
2014-05-21, 09:06 PM
Tempus

You know. When I started this day, I wasn't so sure. They burned my bacon and my toast at the inn. But now, things are really looking up. But, all the same, do you know what I'm wondering? Tempus rambled on without stopping to check whether anyone was interested. The dead guy climbed back up the shaft after it was disabled. How did the elevator get back to the main level?

Foxyfelix9
2014-05-21, 10:28 PM
Richard

*Tempus*The pestilence demon did it, of curse. It's no good throwing a party if your guests can't get to the venue. Aww, you know what just occurred to me? He might expect us to help out with the entertainment, and we didn't bring a bard.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-22, 10:29 AM
Rurik
"Maybe it likes blood? My axe can help with that!" Says Rurik. Rurik will be first out of the elevator, and will attempt to protect the others from any attacks as they leave.

Oseyerys
2014-05-23, 07:57 AM
To All

The elevator carriage continues to roll down the shaft in the dark, the only illumination being that of your torch. The elevator descends for a few minutes until the shaft opens up into a large cavernous room, of which you cannot see the walls nor the ceiling due to it being out of your torchlight. The elevator comes to a rest at the bottom, stirring up some dust and making a clanging sound that is amplified by the room. You all wait for anything that might be in the room and nothing seems to come out at you. Rurik is the first one off the elevator, prepared for anything that might be before him. All is ominously quiet. As you begin to move the torchlight begins to outline things in the room. Many old dusty tables are in this room lined perfectly in rows. After a few moments of exploring you come to the conclusion that this was the mess hall for miners to eat and converse with each other.

Combing your way from one corner of the room to the other you see that along the room are sconces void of torches along the walls that once lit up this hall. There also appears to be nothing worth pillaging in this room as it would have been cleared when the mine was abandoned. There are two exits from the room. At one point there were three but the third passage looks destroyed and caved in.

dextercorvia
2014-05-27, 08:44 PM
Tempus

I say we check down the side passage first. Tempus points to the wall opposite of the cave in. The other looks like it might be the main tunnel, and so this should be a shorter check.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-30, 01:25 PM
Rurik
"Whatever you say, boss." Says Rurik. "Honestly, there's a huge mess hall in here, but there isn't any food worth eating here! Just my luck!"
If Rurik finds any food in the mess hall he will revoke his previous statement.

dextercorvia
2014-05-30, 08:15 PM
Tempus

*Rurik* Well we could always go back and fry up a rat or two, if you're hungry. Tempus headed over to the doorway. I would wait and see if we find something healthier though.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-31, 02:45 AM
Rurik
*Tempus*"I'm not that hungry! It's just that I get a little hungry whenever I see a mess hall. It's my dwarvish upbringing."

dextercorvia
2014-06-01, 10:22 PM
Tempus

Those are good instincts my friend. I grew up in the highlands, and that is very much an eat when you can kind of place.

dextercorvia
2014-06-02, 10:41 PM
Thar

Thar had been lost in thought again. That journal was quite disturbing. Whatever was down here was seriously evil, and serious evil needed to be burned out and eradicated. Thar prayed to the Great Forgemaster, that we would be a worthy tool for the job.

Now, you two, those who are ruled by their stomachs are destined to serve low masters. There is great work to be done, to the glory of the Forge of Heavens, and all the powers of Good. Let us ponder on those things, on bringing holy war and cleansing fire to the enemies of life.

Oseyerys
2014-06-02, 10:55 PM
To All

You are all inspecting the room when Richard leans against one of the tables, "Suddenly I don't feel so great. It might be the ham that we had for breakfast or the rats and death in this creepy place. You guys go on ahead and I'll catch up when I feel better. Pave the way for my entrance. Don't worry about me Nadeline will stay with me.

dextercorvia
2014-06-03, 02:50 PM
Thar

Another one ruled by his stomach? Bah! You won't be getting a second sermon from me today. Thar leans in closer to Richard and puts a hand on the seated mage's shoulder. The boisterous dwarf gets uncharacteristically quiet. *Richard*There's no shame in taking a moment and letting your courage catch up to you.

Then loudly he proclaims. We'll leave you a trail of breadcrumbs to follow. That way you can follow your stomach for good. Thar laughs at his own joke and takes the torch from Richard. He then allows Rurik to take the lead as they enter the side passage.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-04, 10:32 AM
Rurik
As Rurik leads the way down the side passage he mutters to himself, "I didn't even think we had breadcrumbs."
He will try to be prepared for any attack.

Oseyerys
2014-06-04, 10:36 AM
To all

You go down the side passage and, after some time of walking, begin to hear a faint clanging sound from up ahead. There appears to be an orange-ish light up ahead...

dextercorvia
2014-06-04, 01:07 PM
Tempus

Well, either the rats down here wear armor, or we are about to find something different. Tempus whispers nervously. He relaxes and tightens his grip on his spear, and continues toward the light.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Thar

The cleric raises the torch over his head, and prays. Forgemaster, brighten this flame, illuminate my foes, and steel my resolve.

Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

These should have been one less. +3 mod instead of +4.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-04, 05:35 PM
Richard

Richard is still feeling sick, but being alone in the mine starts to creep him out. I need to catch up with them...but which tunnel was it that they went down? He totally picks the wrong one and starts walking, stumbling a bit in the dark but optimistic that he'll be able to see the light of the main group soon enough.

Oseyerys
2014-06-04, 06:41 PM
Richard's Underground Adventures

As you move through the tunnel you are able to make out less and less. Eventually you find yourself feeling the wall to avoid running into it and maintaining your footing. After about five minutes of this nonsense, you see a faint blueish light up ahead...

Errbody Else

You continue moving forward and realize that, although you see the light, the end of the passage does not end for a while. As you move forward you feel the temperature rise. The clanging becomes louder. The sound is steady and is as though there is more than one source from within the room. Something about the sound and the heat is very familiar to Rurik and Thar.

I definitely need Rurik to roll a d20. Thar too. Don't worry about bonuses I'll figure it out.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-04, 07:13 PM
Richard

All right, I finally caught up! Richard runs straight at the light.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Oseyerys
2014-06-04, 07:24 PM
Richards Underground Adventures

Caught up in your own excitement, you head straight for the light. You end up in a larger room. It is clean cut along the walls and a lichen grows on the walls that glows faintly enabling you to see the room. Along the walls of the room are various large holes that are rectangular in shape, there is a rope and pulley system suspending what appear to be carriages over each one of these holes. You peek down one of the holes and see a enormous cave below you, also lit up in various locations... There are wooden walkways in this cave and bridges to stand on. The cave goes far beyond your field of view. You realize that you are currently in the room that would lower the miners into the mine where they worked. This was the entry to the actual mining part of the mine.

At the far end of the room is a busted piece of the wall...

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-05, 01:55 AM
Rurik
"Something about this heat seems very familiar. It feels like it could be from some sort of forge, or maybe a kitchen. I've always liked kitchens. I'm not sure, though." Says Rurik as he advances.

[roll0]

Oseyerys
2014-06-05, 09:33 AM
Errbody in the club besides Richard

Rurik, between the increase in heat and the clanging noises, you are reminded of the great forges of your homeland. You tell the others what is ahead but are very confused. If indeed this is a forge, of which you are fairly certain it is, how is someone making something in this abandoned mine? Nonetheless you approach the light and you get closer and closer.

At the end of the hallway you look into the next room.

This room is lit up by fire, there are many smithing tools throughout the room and there are three main smelters. There is a large fire in the back covering the wall. The room is extremely large and the cieling is riddled with small holes, likely to ventilate the heat and smoke out of the forge. At the one of the anvils nearest the smelter is a dwarf, who appears to be toiling away at work. His banging on the sword he is making is the source of the clanging noise you heard in the hallway...

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-05, 02:19 PM
"Hail, friend dwarf! We come in the service of nearby villagers who seek information concerning a disease. Could you help us?" Rurik holds out his hands in a gesture of friendliness, but at the first sign of trouble he will finger his axe in a threatening posture and intimidate the dwarf, drawing his weapon if attacked.

Diplomacy [roll0]
Intimidate (only if a fight looks likely) [roll1]

dextercorvia
2014-06-05, 03:01 PM
Thar

Indeed. We didn't expect to find anyone active down here, let alone a kinsman. Well met, cousin. Thar eases closer. You know, I'm a bit of a crafter myself. That appears to be a sturdy sword you are working on.

Tempus

Tempus edges the other direction around the table, pretending to admire the forge.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-05, 03:04 PM
Richard

Richard drops a few rocks down into the hole on his left, closest to the door. He checks the ropes and the carriage to see if they can hold his weight, and if everything looks fine, he lowers himself down into the cave. I haven't seen any breadcrumbs yet...maybe they're farther down.

Oseyerys
2014-06-05, 08:07 PM

Unfortunately the rope and carriage (made of wood) look rotted to the point where you wouldn't trust your grandmother twice-removed on it. There will be no descending via the miner's old transportation...

Errbody in the club besides Richard

As the first person enters the room, Rurik, the dwarf takes no notice of his entrance nor his introduction. The next person to enter the room, Thar, receives the same treatment of silence. Tempus then enters the room... and still the dwarf does not react to any of you. The dwarf continues to hammer away at the sword he is making taking no notice of any of you and giving no inclination that he even acknowledges your existence. His sole focus appears to be on the sword...

dextercorvia
2014-06-05, 10:48 PM
Tempus

*Thar and Rurik* I know dwarves aren't generally considered the most social of humanoids, but this is a bit extreme.

[roll0] Knowledge Local to determine whether or not this dwarf is particularly dwarfy, or even humanoid.

[roll1] Spot something odd?

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-06, 12:37 AM
Richard

Richard breaks off as much of each carriage/rope set as he can and pulls them all to the center of the room, so that no one who wanders by will attempt to use them. Once he has gathered sufficient material, he begins weaving three of the ropes together to increase their strength, a pretty standard and easy of making cords.

Like this. (http://marcuscurnow.files.wordpress.com/2004/12/3cords.jpg)
Use rope check. [roll0]
I'll take twenty if you'll let me though, since I do have a ton of rope.

Oseyerys
2014-06-06, 01:14 AM

After a few tries, and some frustration, you manage to get the rope to work for you to get the knots you desire.

Tempus

From where you are you can't see much but to you the dwarf appears very much a dwarf...

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-06, 10:23 AM
Rurik
Ignoring Tempus' jibe, Rurik will move closer and put a hand on the dwarf's shoulder. "Are you okay? We're hear to help you."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Oseyerys
2014-06-06, 10:37 AM
Rurik
Ignoring Tempus' jibe, Rurik will move closer and put a hand on the dwarf's shoulder. "Are you okay? We're hear to help you."

Diplomacy [roll0]

The dwarf seems to take no notice of the hand on his shoulder. His sole focus is on the sword he is making. You do however see that, approaching him, that the dwarf's eyes are clouded over and the flesh that is visible outside his armor seems to be a palish white and rotten in some places. The most important feature of any dwarf, the beard, is stringy and unkempt on this one.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-06, 01:36 PM
Richard

Richard uses his new sturdy rope to descend into the caves. Finally, on the right track!

Unless that doesn't work either, in which case I can change it.

dextercorvia
2014-06-06, 01:40 PM
Tempus

The rogue continues his circuit around the table, angling back toward the mysterious dwarf. While he walks he whistles an old highland reel.

Thar

Curious about the silent dwarf, Thar tries a different tactic. He looks around for a bar of stock, and places it in a nearby forge. While it heats he retrieves tongues and a hammer from his pack and prepares to work. Do you mind if I make something as well? Like I said, I've had a bit of training, and there seems to be plenty of room to work. With his tools laid out, he begins to work the bellows.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-06, 03:44 PM
Rurik
*To all who happen to be listening*"His flesh is horrible! I think he might be a victim of this blight thing. He could be magically enchanted to forge that weapon."
Rurik will start poking the dwarf if Thar's line of inquiry fails, if that doesn't work he will attempt to stop the dwarf from forging the weapon.

Oseyerys
2014-06-06, 06:39 PM

With some difficulty you manage to fasten the rope around one of the carriages you pulled to the center of the room... it seems to hold your weight. You then carefully descend into the mine. Lower and lower you go, into the cavernous mine, you get about halfway down when you hear a scream that echoes off the walls above you... you are not master of identifying loud noises but you are quite certain that it is not a human scream.

Everyone else

The dwarf pays no attention to Thar's inquiries, continuing to hammer away at the sword.

As Rurik begins to poke and prod at the dwarf, the dwarf shows no resistance nor does it give any inclination that it even knows it's being prodded. It continues to bang away at the sword on the anvil.

Then Rurik tries to take the sword away from the dwarf...

The dwarf hesitates and turns it's head to look at Rurik with it's clouded over eyes. For a moment it does nothing simply staring at Rurik, then it screams an unearthly scream that echoes off the walls at Rurik and slams itself into him.

After a whole lot of no reaction, Rurik is very surprised at this sudden outburst and takes 5 damage in this surprise round. Initiative and attacks will now be required.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-07, 01:57 AM
Initiative:
[roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-06-07, 10:05 AM
Thar

The priest sets his hammer and tongues down, and draws his Warhammer.

Tempus

Tempus moves into flanking position and stabs at the odd dwarf with his spear.

Move to X22 without provoking AoO.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack [roll2] If it isn't undead of course
Confirm Crit [roll3]
Extra Damage [roll4]

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-07, 10:35 AM
Richard

Richard starts, but manages to hang on to the rope. He descends slowly and carefully, and looks around after reaching the ground, trying to figure out which direction the noise came from.

Map update for cave, please.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-07, 03:12 PM
Rurik
Rurik swings his axe at the dwarf as soon as he gets close enough.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Oseyerys
2014-06-08, 10:31 AM
Richards Underground Adventures

The strange glowing lichen on the walls illuminates the cavern enough for you to see the platform you are on and two walkways on either side leading to the sides of the cave, you appear to be in a corner of the cave which opens out further down the walkways. The scream continues to echo in the cave off into the distance...

Rurik the Hardy

Surprised by the sudden attack, you bring your axe down on the dwarf. Your blade bites into the dwarfs collarbone, sinking down into his chest and still the dwarf advances.

Tempus

You attempt to flank the dwarf and stab it. Your blade shines silver in the firelight as you drive it into an unprotected region of the dwarf's flesh, however, when you make contact you realize that the dwarf is not "completely whole" and what should be a dire wound, the dwarf barely notices.

Dwarf Attacking Rurik

Not stopping, the dwarf once again slams into you, clawing at your unprotected flesh.

3 Damage

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-08, 11:30 AM
Rurik
"That hurts, a little heal-p please?" Rurik says, as he swings his axe back towards the dwarf, hoping that the undead dwarf thing isn't very accurate.

Sorry, I can't resist puns.
Attack: 1d20+4
Damage: 1d10+4

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-08, 11:32 AM
Rolls (because they didn't work last time):

dextercorvia
2014-06-08, 03:08 PM
Tempus

The rogue stabs again into the incomplete dwarf.

Tempus should be in X22, he has a reach weapon.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack [roll2]

Thar

Thar casts a spell, then approaches Rurik. When he is close, he lays a hand on the dwarf and delivers healing magic. He returns his hand to his hammer, and looks for an opportunity.

Lose Bless to cast Cure Light Wounds. Then move to V21 and deliver the touch. [roll3] points of healing.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-08, 04:18 PM
Richard

Richard runs in the direction the scream is coming from. I need to hurry, it sounds like those guys have gotten themselves in trouble.

Oseyerys
2014-06-08, 08:28 PM

You run out of the corner you dropped into and see a vast expanse of the cave and walkways. It stretches beyond your sight. You do not see your group anywhere but you do see a skeleton on the ground just around the corner. The skeleton still wears tattered clothes and wears a backpack that has been all but mangled making it barely able to contain its contents. The person appeared to be trying to get to a hole in the wall before he or she died as the skeleton has an outstretched arm towards the hole.

Looking into the hole you see a tunnel leading upwards. Right as you look up another shriek reverberates from somewhere up the tunnel...

Rurik the Hardy

You bring your axe down once again on the dwarf, cleaving it's other shoulder and hacking off its arm as collateral, and it collapses to the ground.

Your wounds the dwarf inflicted on you suddenly are not as painful as Thar walks up to you and lays his hands on you, healing the wounds.

Tempus

The dwarf shrieks and gnashes its teeth on the floor clearly no longer able to fight. You put it out of its misery by driving your spear into its skull. All is silent once more as the echoes disappear down the hall from where you came.

dextercorvia
2014-06-08, 08:53 PM
Tempus

So, is it a dwarf or not? It sure acted weird, and now that I look closely it seems a bit gross.

Thar

Thar checks Rurik's wounds and makes sure they are healed. I don't know. Something does seem off, though. He then retrieves his tools. There is a pause as he looks at the bar of stock in the fire. Thar take his hammer, and beats the end of the bar into a crude point. Then he takes the red hot metal and drives it through the creature's ribcage. Give me a hand, using your spear there. I think it would be best if we didn't leave this behind.

The two work together to throw the remains into the nearest forge. He was a dwarf at one time, at any rate. Thar said as he worked the bellows. This is the best rest we can give him at this point.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-08, 09:28 PM
Richard

Sweet, a backpack. Richard takes it off the skeleton and puts it on. Then he runs up the tunnel. Nadeline, keep things from falling out, if you can. The snake slithers helpfully onto the backpack, clinging over the tear in a makeshift patch.

Oseyerys
2014-06-08, 09:56 PM

You trot up the tunnel which seems to spiral at an incline. Eventually you reach the end of the tunnel and wind up in the room with all the drop shafts above where you just dropped into the cave. You are on the opposite side of the room from the hallway you had entered. The broken portion of the wall was the entrance into the tunnel you are in. The shrieking you heard ahead of you had ceased...

Everyone Else

You promptly burn the corpse of the dwarf, may he rest in peace.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-08, 10:10 PM
Richard

...Flar-hang-it, I am lost. Everything seems too quiet after all the screaming, and Richard starts wondering if his teammates have been killed. Well, he wasn't about to keep running around and walk into a trap. Too smart for that. So he yells at the top of his lungs, Tempus! Rurik! Thar! You guys still alive?!

Oseyerys
2014-06-08, 10:41 PM
Everybody besides Richard

You hear Richard's shouts echo through the stone hallways from the way you came.

dextercorvia
2014-06-08, 10:58 PM
Tempus

I don't think he found the bread crumbs. I guess we should go back for him. Sensing that no one was happy leaving a team mate behind. They head back to the dining hall.

I'm assuming this is alright with Rurik. Kick me in the shins if I'm wrong.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-09, 01:14 PM
Rurik
Rurik will follow Tempus on the way back towards Richard.

Oseyerys
2014-06-09, 10:24 PM
Richard

As you yell, you can't be sure due to the noise you're making, but you could swear you hear a single deep drum beat echo off the giant cave below and behind you...

Everybody Besides Richard

You make your way back down the long hallway to the mess hall of the miners and see your companion is no where to be found. Richard's yelling continues to echo down the other corridor however and you follow it to the room in which your wizard friend and his pet snake are.

dextercorvia
2014-06-09, 11:24 PM
Tempus

Richard! I'm glad you are up and around, but why all the yelling? Were you to busy reading to Nadine to here the part about the yelling waking up the big evil scary thing? Please tell me you already met the big evil scary thing, read it a book about a bugbear, and now we are all friends.

Thar

Don't be too hard on him, Tempus. He obviously got turned around, and had a fright. I understand the dark can be scary for those who can't see in it. Besides, a fair amount of that screaming wasn't poor Richard, or the snake.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-10, 11:36 AM
Rurik
"I know we all like happy reunions, but when do we get back to the killing?"

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-10, 11:46 AM
Richard

*Tempus* Nadeline. And nah, just making sure you all hadn't been killed without me. I might try that plan whenever we find the demon though, making new friends never hurts.

*Rurik* Someone's feeling bloodthirsty...And soon. Just gotta take care of one thing first.

Richard sits down on the ground and removes the backpack. He puts Nadeline back on top of his head. *Thar* Can you heal this? He holds out the backpack and points at the tear. It appears to be injured.

dextercorvia
2014-06-10, 12:44 PM
Thar

*Richard*I can, and it would be a sore loss if I did not. It appears to have been a sturdy pack before this happened. Thar prays, and runs a finger along the tears. When he is done it is like new.

Tempus

*Nadeline*Sorry Nadeline. I got tripped up because I knew a girl named Nadine once. Hard to get her name out of my head.*Richard* Say, what happened to your pack? It looks like a mountain lion got a hold of it. Tempus walks around the sorcerer, looking for other damage.

Thar casts Mending.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-10, 02:31 PM
Nadeline

*Tempus* Nadeline nods and hisses sympathetically.

Richard

*Thar* Thanks, buddy. I wasn't actually sure that would work, haha.

*Tempus* The former owner may have been mauled, yeah. I should probably see if there was anything to identify them. Richard opens the pack and dumps its contents out on the floor.

Oseyerys
2014-06-10, 06:49 PM
Everyone

Richard drops the contents onto the floor, inside the backpack are some old trail rations and a two torches. You also find a journal. Opening this journal you see that it is the accounts of Alan, Marcus' friend. Alan didn't write much other than what Marcus covered in his first three entries but he did write something interesting on the inside cover, "Three lefts don't make a right, after rocks push up with might.".

Looking through Alan's other entries and his writing styles, it becomes apparent to you that this man had a taste for riddles and theatrics...

dextercorvia
2014-06-11, 01:01 PM
Tempus

The rogue takes a turn looking at the book. I'm beginning to see why these previous attempts did not go so well. Everyone was interested in writing, and no one was good at the killing. I'm glad we brought Rurik along. He seems to have his head on straight about these things.

We need to figure out which way to go next. I didn't check the last room we were in for anything interesting, but it appeared to be a dead end. Was there more down this way?

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-11, 01:35 PM
Rurik
"Hey! I'm not one of them dumb barbarians, I can still write! I just don't really need to, given the fact that I prefer to smash things' heads in."

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-11, 02:18 PM
Richard

Man, no wonder this guy died alone in a cave. He didn't have any loot and he wrote his own diary in code. Why can't he just be like "take a right when you see the big rock"?
*Tempus* Oh yeah, there's a huge cave network down there. It's pretty magnificent I guess.

dextercorvia
2014-06-11, 02:36 PM
Tempus

*Rurik*And, I believe that is exactly the skill we are about to need.

*Richard*Do you mind if I keep this one with the other? Tempus holds out the book.

*All*Huge cave network sounds promising. If we are all in agreement I think it would be best if Rurik went first, Thar last, and I'll stay close to Richard in the middle to keep him from getting lost again. Does that work for you?

Tempus second in line, Richard the third.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-12, 01:30 PM
Rurik
"I'm happy to go first in line, because it means more killing!"

dextercorvia
2014-06-12, 02:02 PM
Thar

And, I will keep my prayers ready, to prevent it from meaning more dying.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-12, 11:39 PM
Richard

Sounds good.

Oseyerys
2014-06-13, 08:28 AM
You all follow Richard's directions down the tunnel in the hole in the wall to the opening below. You emerge on a wooden walkway where the skeleton that Richard found lies on the planks. Looking in both directions you are able to see the massive cave Richard was talking about illuminated slightly by the glowing lichen. Every sound you make seems to echo in this area.

The walkway stretches to the right of you and the left (where it disappears around the corner where the lift platform Richard descended from lies). Down the path to the right you see the walkway break off and head out into the cave towards a large rock platform.

dextercorvia
2014-06-14, 09:33 AM
Tempus

*Rurik*Head left up there to that stone platform. This old catwalk makes me nervous.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-14, 10:22 AM
Rurik
"Sure thing."
Rurik heads over to the stone platform, as Tempus instructs him.

dextercorvia
2014-06-14, 11:29 AM
Thar

Thar calls from the back. Watch your step, everyone. Remember that fellow that fell in the journal. These old ropes and boards could be rotted. Go slow and test your footing before you shift your weight.

Oseyerys
2014-06-14, 04:28 PM
Cavern

The catwalk bridge creaks and sways as Rurik carefully steps onto it and makes his way across. After some time, due to his caution, he makes it to the other side.

Rurik the Hardy

On the stone plateau you now stand you see some moss and mushrooms growing but not much else.

dextercorvia
2014-06-14, 08:49 PM
Tempus

Seeing Rurik wobble across the bridge worried Tempus. He was pretty sure that he could make it, but he had spent a month with a traveling carnival, and trained to do worse. Hold on you two, I'll be right back. Tempus deftly crossed the bridge to Rurik. *Rurik* I need to borrow your rope. He tied the ropes together with an appropriate bend, and asked Rurik to tie one end around himself. He crossed the bridge again, taking the other end to Richard. *Richard*Once I have crossed, tie this around yourself. Rurik and I will anchor the other end, so if you fall, we've got you. The rogue recrossed the bridge and braced himself with Rurik. He waved to Richard and waited for the mage to cross.

Tempus is taking 10 to cross the bridge (17+3 misc bonus=20 which is enough to cross a severly slippery 2" beam, so I think that is safe). Take 10 on use rope to connect the ropes with a firm knot. I recommend the others do the same unless they have a Dex penalty.

The plan is to back up/coil the rope as Richard crosses, so that we have the rope snug the whole time he crosses the bridge.

If this works, then Tempus will take the rope back to Thar, and we can repeat the process.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-16, 01:24 PM
Rurik
Rurik does whatever Tempus says.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-16, 03:25 PM
Richard

Richard bends down and ties the rope around his ankle, then walks calmly across the bridge. Being short makes balancing a lot easier.

Oseyerys
2014-06-16, 10:01 PM
Cavern

With the system Tempus has thought of you are all able to cross the bridge with not much more than a creak or a crack from the planks below you. On the Platform there is now much to note. There are some old rusty left behind pieces of mining equipment and some fungus growing in the cracks of the stone but that is it. On the other side of the platform is a stone walkway that leads into a wall. In the big picture, this wall simply appears to be a column or pillar supporting the ceiling of the enormous cave. It is while you are walking through the tunnel in this column that you hear a loud noise. The noise is not unlike that of a roar of some feral animal. The roar however is much deeper than anything you've ever heard. How big the source is of the noise is difficult to determine as the roar echoes off the walls of the cavern, amplifying it. After about ten seconds the roar cuts off and, after the echoes stop, it is once again silent in the cave and you are still in the column staring at the end of the tunnel which opens up into the cavern once more.

dextercorvia
2014-06-17, 02:21 PM
Tempus

As they hear the noise, Tempus perks up his ears and tries to place it. When it stops, he continues through the column, whispering, *Rurik*See, that sounds like something you can kill. I bet we are getting closer.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-20, 01:36 AM
Rurik
Rurik slowly drifts out of his distracted daydream about killing orcs, and realises Tempus has just talked to him.
"Right, Kill!" He says, before charging off in the direction of the noise.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-20, 11:37 AM
Richard

Richard ignores the roar, more interested in rusty mining equipment. After examining the tools, he puts them in his backpack.

Sounds like something the four of us can kill, more like. Rurik, hold up just a- Richard realizes Rurik is already running at the sound. Oh, darn it.

What do I have now?

dextercorvia
2014-06-20, 02:51 PM
Thar

Thar was helping Richard pick out the best of the metal objects. We found a forge on the other side. I bet I could repair some of these. he was saying when the others took off. Moradin's Beard, Rurik. Dwarves aren't built for running.

He took one last look at the discarded tools, sighed, and hustled after his companions.

Oseyerys
2014-06-23, 08:37 PM
Cavern

You all continue along the catwalks of the cave going in the direction that you believe to be the back of the giant cavern. After about a half hour of travel you reach it. You stand on another stone platform with a bridge in between you and a cliff that juts out from the wall forming a terrace and against the wall is a large wooden door. The platform around you has stone railings which were carved to ensure you didn't fall to your doom. The only opening in the railings is for the bridge you came from and the bridge you now face. You hear nothing as in the way of unusual noises although somewhere beneath you a river is flowing.

dextercorvia
2014-06-23, 09:59 PM
Tempus

Another bridge? Alright, Rurik, you still up for going first? Tempus holds the rope out to their trailblazer.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-24, 11:34 AM
Rurik
Rurik calms down and forgets about his bloodlust for now. He cautiously crosses the bridge and waits for the others before continuing on, muttering an apology for his rashness.

Foxyfelix9
2014-06-25, 01:28 AM
Richard

Cool, the last bridge until we get to...wherever we're going. Sure would be weird if we were attacked now. Richard follows Tempus's bridge plan, since it's worked pretty well so far.

Oseyerys
2014-06-26, 07:55 PM
Cavern

Rurik the Hardy

You, being the hardiest of the group, take the lead as you have done the whole passage and tentatively cross the bridge. The wood creaks beneath your feet as you try and balance and you almost don't hear the clicking sound that seems to come from the wall around the door. You hear two twangs and instinctively raise your shield to protect your head. You hear a thud as something embeds itself in the durable shield but your relief is short lived for something sinks itself into your thigh. You look down as you stagger back a step and see it is a crossbow bolt.

10 DMG... sorry bud but the die doesn't lie.

Everyone else

You all are waiting for Rurik to finish crossing the bridge as you all had done before. The creaking of the bridge sounds like timber cracking as it falls in this echoing cave. It is then somewhat shocking to you all when you see Rurik get about halfway across and suddenly raise his shield to cover his head. You then see him stagger a bit shortly after and it is quite obvious that something is amiss.

Initiative and actions please

dextercorvia
2014-06-26, 11:13 PM
Tempus shouts, Take cover! at the same moment Thar yells Rurik is hit!

Tempus lets go of the rope, draws his bow and ducks behind the railing looking for their hidden assailants. Thar swings left, tucking in next to Tempus beside the low wall on that side, still maintaining his loose grip on the rope. Rurik! I have you if the bridge goes! Just get to one side or the other.

Tempus
Free: Drop rope
Move: Draw Bow
5' step to P27
Move: Spot for the enemies [roll0] It should be easier to see them now that they have attacked. Sniping is a big penalty to hide.

Thar
Move: to P28
Std: Ready action to tighten his grip on the rope if Rurik starts to fall.

Dragonslayer495
2014-06-27, 03:34 PM
Rurik
Rurik shouts in pain, blood seeping from his wounds, and charges towards the other end of the bridge containing his attackers, if he can he will attack one of them.

Ouch, be prepared for Rurik's death and/or fall off the bridge.
Initiative [roll0]
Balance Check (If required) [roll1]
Attack Roll [roll2]
Damage Roll [roll3]

Oseyerys
2014-07-01, 09:21 AM
Cavern

Rurik

Enraged that you were caught off guard you fly across the rest of the bridge to the other side ready to cleave into whoever hit you. You are then somewhat surprised to find that you don't see anyone on the other end, you do however see that there are two slits, one on each side of the wooden door you now press yourself against, as you have a crossbow bolt in your thigh and seek to relieve the pressure.

As you press yourself against the door you also happen to hear some muffled noises. It sounds like two creatures are communicating but you can't place the language.

You also hear two more twangs from the slits and see two blurs as two more bolts fly towards your companions but fall short of their mark.

I made the necessary listen check... good job :smallbiggrin:

Everyone Else

You all take cover behind the railing and peek around to see Rurik make it to the other side of the bridge without a problem. You hear two more twangs but can't see where the bolts fall as they miss you entirely.

You're out of range so the crossbow bolts fly into the chasm between you and the platform with the door and Rurik.

Dragonslayer495
2014-07-01, 01:50 PM
Rurik
If possible, Rurik will take cover and the try to create a flame with his two torches and light them, he will then toss them through the slits in the door, just for the sake of doing something different.

Roll for creating a flame [roll0]
Roll for throwing it through the slit in the door [roll1]
Could you add the modifiers, please?

dextercorvia
2014-07-02, 02:18 PM
Tempus

Looking for an opponent, Tempus sees that Rurik doesn't seem to be fighting anyone. *Rurik*What's going on over there, buddy? Did you kill them already?

Foxyfelix9
2014-07-03, 12:25 AM
Richard
Richard says in monotone, oh no, we're being attacked.

He then yells, You, on the other side of the bridge, hold your fire! We're friendly!

[roll0]
literally the only optimization i did aww yeah bluff
god i hope they can hear me

Dragonslayer495
2014-07-05, 02:30 AM
Rurik
*Tempus*"They're hiding behind a bloody door!"

dextercorvia
2014-07-05, 01:27 PM
Tempus

*Rurik*Hmm. And my lock picks are all the way over here. Can you cover those slits with something so they can't see us while we cross? I don't think any of the rest of us can pull off arrow holes the way you do. Tempus shouts back to the dwarf.

Still have the bow drawn in case they decide to come out before we can cross.

Oseyerys
2014-07-06, 09:29 PM
Rurik the Hardy

In your haste you fumble with the flint and steel and are unable to light the torch as they keep slipping through your fingers and you grimace in an attempt to stoop over and pick them up.

It is then that you hear Richard shout to those behind the door.

Richard

You shout out to the defenders in an attempt to get them to stop firing.

Everyone

Perhaps it is the inflection in Richard's voice, but something about his bluff stops the deadly onslaught and there is silence for a few moments. After what seems to be an unbearable amount of time you all hear a gruff, inhuman voice call out from behind the door.

Everyone Except Tempus

The language the defender behind the door uses is unknown to you and sounds very gravelly and slightly nasally.

Tempus

You almost don't catch the language since you are thrown off that it is not common but you quickly understand is as goblin.

You hear the voice say, "Who are you and what are you doing in our mine?"

Foxyfelix9
2014-07-07, 12:19 AM
Richard

Richard looks at Tempus when the voice starts speaking, and by his face can tell that he knows the language.

*Tempus* Tell them we came to investigate the sickness and that we might be able to help them.

And just in case any of the goblins speak common, he yells to them, We came to investigate the sickness, we might be able to help you!

[roll0]

Dragonslayer495
2014-07-07, 02:06 AM
Rurik
Rurik drops the torches and forgets about trying to light them and raises his axe to smash anyone who comes out.

dextercorvia
2014-07-07, 12:58 PM
Tempus

*Richard and Thar*Goblins, he says quietly. The rogue relays the question to the others, then takes Richard's suggestion. *Goblins*We're here to investigate the disease! We might be able to help you! Put your bows down, and come on out! We have a healer with us! Tempus yells back across the bridge. His goblin isn't perfect, but he's pretty sure he got the meaning down.

I very carefully told no lies. Tempus's bluff mod is not up to Richard's standard.

Goblins? Thar grumbles. I knew there was some evil afoot. He grabs his axe and starts toward the bridge. A healer? he hisses back at Tempus. What nons... Tempus cuts him off with a finger raised to pursed lips. They share a nod and Thar continues. Right, I'm a healer.

Everything but the last sentence of Thar's is roughly at a whisper level, so I think the DC to hear that is north of 50.

Oseyerys
2014-07-13, 02:55 PM
The Door

Everyone

For a while you hear nothing and are unsure if perhaps Tempus said something wrong. After a few moments however you head a loud metallic sliding noise and the door is pushed outward towards you. Rurik takes a step back and braces himself for whatever comes through. Through the door comes four "armed" standard sized goblins with crude swords drawn and one goblin who stands a head above his comrades.

The regular goblins are wearing some form of armor although they are not uniform. One wears a slightly rusting chainshirt, while another wears some leather scraps. One has no body armor but is carrying a buckler on his arm while the last wears his cloth rags but wears a helm that appears a little too big for his head. The only one who looks terribly threatening is the taller one. He is dressed in finer chainmail and his sword is of better quality. He also wears a helm on his head but, unlike the other goblin, this goblin's head fits into the helm. The four smaller ones form a line in front of the taller goblin in an attempt to protect him from projectiles or the large dwarf next to them. The two closest to Rurik point their swords at him but make no move to attack. They glance expectantly at the taller goblin who seems to ignore Rurik altogether.

The large goblin peers into the darkness towards those on the platform and addresses, in goblin, Tempus, with whom he had been speaking, "The disease does not affect us. My people are completely safe from the loimós. We have no need for a healer, although your comrade appears to not be so lucky. Give me one good reason I shouldn't strike him down right now for trespassing?"

Tempus does take note that, while goblin is a rather crude language for a rather crude race, this goblin is using complete sentences and is using words normal goblins would not with ease.

dextercorvia
2014-07-16, 03:54 PM
Tempus

The rogue exchanges whispers with the others then answers.

You know, threatening him doesn't intimidate me at all. He can stand and fight or even jump off the ledge for all I care. If you want to scare me, you'll have to come much closer. Your people and mine don't have the best history, but I'm not here today to kill any goblins. I suspect it is these lomois that I have a problem with. How about you let him walk back over here unharmed, and tell me about them. In return, we will leave your little section of this place alone.

If instead you want to fight, I will happily oblige your death wish.

"jump off the ledge" is in common instead of goblin, that is why I bolded it. Rurik still has a rope tied around his waist, and Thar has the other end. The whisper was just an warning that this is bravado, and that Thar might need to hold the rope tighter.

Dragonslayer495
2014-07-26, 02:03 AM
Rurik
Rurik jumps off the ledge while putting away his weapons and drawing a bow then firing it, if possible. If not he will do as much of that as he can in one round.

Attack (if possible): [roll0]
Damage (if possible): [roll1]
Anything else I may need to do: [roll2]

dextercorvia
2014-07-26, 02:29 PM
Thar

The dwarf takes up the slack as fast as he can as Rurik jumps. As the tension in the rope changes, Thar tightens his grip and braces his foot against the wall, leaning back into the rope.

Rurik is under Thar's max load so this shouldn't be a problem.

Oseyerys
2014-08-10, 06:09 PM
The Door

Rurik

You leap off the ledge and pray you read the message correctly. After what feels like an eternity of falling the rope around you tightens and you jerk to a sudden stop swaying in mid-air.

Everyone else

Peering around the cover you see that the goblins all look to their apparent leader who simply stares after the dwarf who just jumped. After a few moments the goblin snaps some orders to the other goblins to form a firing line on the ledge.

dextercorvia
2014-08-13, 12:06 PM
Thar

Hold fast to that end, brother! Thar holds tight to the rope and walks backward with it away from the edge, quickly bringing Rurik closer to the platform.

I'm not sure how much of the slack you let him take up earlier. But, a double move brings him up another 40'.
Init [roll0]

Tempus

The rogue takes aim at the closest goblin and lofts an arrow in his direction. It is a long shot, but he needs to keep them distracted while Thar and Rurik work to get the warrior back up here.

Init [roll1]
Attack [roll2] (Two range increments)
Damage [roll3]