PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mundane means to get a Deflection Armor Bonus?

Larkas
2014-04-22, 11:35 AM
A deflection bonus affects Armor Class and is granted by a spell or magic effect that makes attacks veer off harmlessly. Deflection bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC except other deflection bonuses. A deflection bonus applies against touch attacks.

So, from what I could gather from the SRD, deflection bonuses are only given by spells or spell-like effects. This means that deflecting an attack through skill would probably fall under dodge bonuses:

A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character's Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have. Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.

Is that consistent throughout the game? Is there any way to gain a mundane deflection bonus to armor somewhere in the game?

eggynack
2014-04-22, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but the will-o'-wisp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm) gets a +9 deflection bonus to AC, and the bonus doesn't have any readily apparent supernatural source. It seems to support the premise of the existence of mundane deflection bonuses.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-22, 12:26 PM
Half the AC from shields and armor made from Riverine (SW) is a deflection bonus. While the fluff is magical the mechanical effect is mundane.

The second quote is definitely not true. Several spells and items provide a dodge bonus to AC, Haste being probably the most well known.

TuggyNE
2014-04-22, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but the will-o'-wisp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm) gets a +9 deflection bonus to AC, and the bonus doesn't have any readily apparent supernatural source. It seems to support the premise of the existence of mundane deflection bonuses.

... what is even up with that? Where is that bonus coming from? :smalleek:

Larkas
2014-04-22, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll take that both blanket statements are false, then, and consider that mundane deflection bonuses are indeed a possibility!

I guess will-o'-wisps are just creepy like that :smalleek:

eggynack
2014-04-22, 08:35 PM
I have absolutely no idea. It just sits there on the stat block, completely unrelated to anything and everything. I ended up taking a good long look at that one when I was trying to evaluate the monster's usefulness for the purposes of aberration wild shape, and I was just completely stumped. My guess is that it's a natural ability, but it'd be neat if it were an Ex special quality. As is though, the bonus is as the will-o'-wisp itself, floating around in the nothingness, untouchable and inscrutable.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-22, 08:36 PM
Deflection bonuses from feats are extraordinary unless the feat says otherwise - or the feat gives a Su / SP / spell triggered cost.

Mark of deflection from dragonmarked gives you a small chunk of deflection bonus based on your chosen mark type.

Vow of Peace gives you a small deflection bonus so long as you don't break your vows, same thing with Vow of Poverty.

Warden initiate grants a few bit of deflection with additional abilities while fighting in the forest.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-22, 08:46 PM
Also some classes grant Ex derived deflection.

Urban savant gets something akin to the knowledge skill that an archivist uses to grant a small amount of deflection AC vs a particular enemy, which scales with success of the check.

Tribal protector (from 3.0) gives deflection AC when in their homeland.

Master of Chains (from 3.0) gives deflection AC when using a spinning chain but uses the redacted facing rules (you'd need to get the DM to update the rules for this class feature to work)

The abjurer variant from Unearthed arcana gives aura of protection which gives a scaling amount of deflection AC for a single attack

RobotArtificer
2014-04-22, 09:42 PM

They have the air subtype, maybe they are deflecting attacks with gusts of air?
I have no evidence to support this.

Chronos
2014-04-22, 10:23 PM
Quoth NoACWarrior:

Deflection bonuses from feats are extraordinary unless the feat says otherwise - or the feat gives a Su / SP / spell triggered cost.
Vow of Peace gives you a small deflection bonus so long as you don't break your vows, same thing with Vow of Poverty.
Vow of Peace and Vow of Poverty do specify otherwise: All exalted feats are supernatural.

80sSkeletor
2018-01-19, 11:14 AM
They have the air subtype, maybe they are deflecting attacks with gusts of air?
I have no evidence to support this.

It's because, in and of itself, a Wisp is made from the Weave. That's how they get their Shock abikity along with the Deflection bonus to AC.

Mr Adventurer
2018-01-20, 01:44 PM
It's Fey magic, they ain't gotta explain ****.