PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Locating Objects from one plane to another?

Oryan77
2014-04-22, 12:01 PM
Is there a spell similar to Locate Object that works across the planes? If not, how would a spell like that work if I was to create one? I'm thinking of something like the Arrow of Direction from the 1e DMG, but works across planes.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how a segment of the Rod of Seven Parts could locate another segment across planes. Would it locate the nearest portal? Or if there is no direct portal, then it would locate a portal that would lead to a plane that would contain a portal leading to the destination plane? Or does that seem ludicrous?

TuggyNE
2014-04-22, 08:25 PM
Discern location does most of this in core, as an 8th-level spell.

The spell leaves finding the actual portal as an exercise for the reader adventurer.

Falcon X
2014-04-23, 12:46 AM
Don't suppose you can port things in from 2nd edition. There are a ton of spells in the Planewalker's Handbook that work for just the things you're wanting.

In 3rd edition, you're more likely to find it in spells that effect items rather than planar spells. I'll keep digging.

Oryan77
2014-04-23, 10:12 AM
Don't suppose you can port things in from 2nd edition. There are a ton of spells in the Planewalker's Handbook that work for just the things you're wanting.

In 3rd edition, you're more likely to find it in spells that effect items rather than planar spells. I'll keep digging.

I am willing to use 2e planar spells. In fact, I have compiled almost all Planescape 2e spells into 3.5 conversions. I looked through the Planewalker's Handbook spells and I'm not sure which spells you might be referring to.