PDA

View Full Version : Disassemble (Spell)

Maerok
2007-02-08, 10:33 PM
A combination of disintegrate, horrid wilting (for Constructs), and shatter...

Disassemble
Evocation
Level: Wizard/Sorceror 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One complex object or one Construct creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will (half damage)
Spell Resistance: None

With a successful ranged touch attack, you send a wave of unmaking energy surging towards the intended target.

If it is a complex object, consisting of multiple parts such as a machine or an intricate piece of jewelery, the object must make a Will save or be rendered into its component parts. Bolts, etc. are unscrewed no matter what binds them, leaving a heap of parts.

Magical items susceptible to a rod of negation can be affected by disassemble, the end result is that the magical item must succeed against the effects of a rod of negation of be broken down and made permanently inert.

When turned against a mechanical Construct creature, the creature also faces becoming disassembled. It must pass a Will save or suffer 1d8 damage per caster level (maximum of 20d8; half damage on a successful save). Even Constructs normally immune to this spell can be affected so long as they are completely built from inorganic (metal, rock, etc.) parts. If reduced to 0 or less hitpoints, the Construct is broken down into a heap of its component pieces.

Any broken item or Construct can be remade using the salvaged pieces (saving the cost of the body/item, nullifying the gold cost) but require any additional requirements (XP, spells, items) to be expended again.

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-08, 11:07 PM
Interesting spell. I like it and it doesn't seem overpowered at all.

However, I would never give my players access to this. Too much "I target that hot elf chick's clothes" would ensue.

Fizban
2007-02-09, 01:19 AM
Isn't any magic item succeptable to a rod of negation? I think you must made a level 6 disjunction.....

The rest of it looks good though. SR: no means that golems are suceptible anyway, their magic immunity only works on spells that allow SR.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-09, 10:48 PM
Shouldn't this be transmutation? Seems more that way to me...

magic8BALL
2007-02-09, 11:27 PM
...yeah... I never heard of "unmaking energy" before. Why does it supress magical properties? It should disassemble +3 breastplate, not make it masterwork beastplate. The plates should fall away from it wearer, all the straps and rivits undoing them selves. A blacksmith puts it back together an its as good as new +3 breastplate. Thats how I see it should work. (the gem falls out of the top of the staff, craft(staff) to put it back then it works like it did before, the axe head falls off your +1 keen greataxe, put it back and its a +1 keen greataxe again, etc.)