PDA

View Full Version : Murmur vs Arzan (The Crowd Calls for Blood)

OMG PONIES
2014-04-22, 02:36 PM
The crowd is in an uproar as the two contestants are brought into the arena and unshackled in their opposing corners. The gigantic gates behind each of them would usually close with a deafening din of metal and stone, but any sound the gates would make is drowned out by those seeking entertainment. Both of them knew to expect this, but actually experiencing it was something else entirely. As the two fighters prepare to defend their lives, Murmur is the first off the blocks!

His opponent is a man with a dark look about him. He wears nothing but black robes and a sack tight to his belt. Strapped on his back is a scythe.

http://i60.tinypic.com/zn3spd.jpg

ben-zayb, you're up! Can you please include a character description of Murmur, add it to your sheet, and post a DM only spoiler with your current HP total after the last battle?

Initiative Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?285748-Dice-Roller-Test-Thread-III&p=17349577&viewfull=1#post17349577)

ben-zayb
2014-04-22, 03:00 PM
Across the far corner of the arena, Arzan sees a gaunt winged creature about the size of a dog. The creature is standing upright, wearing a brown hooded cloak, a periapt, a black vest, a white three-quarter-sleeved shirt, a brown bag, a black leather belt, a pair of black open-finger gloves, and a pair of brown leather breeches. His face, wings, arms, legs and feet are bare but covered in dry grayish-brown fur. His sunken golden eyes have a piercing stare while his pronounced snout is periodically seen sniffing the air.

Murmur twitch his head sideways before suddenly bolting upwards, his wings flapping madly in the air.Murmur ends his movement at T20, 80ft. up in the air.Full-Round: Runx4 upwards (Run can specifically be used with fly speed)
Non-Action: Knowledge checks to get any information based on superficial appearance:[SPOILER]Arcana: [roll0]
Dungeoneering: [roll1]
Local: [roll2]
Nature: [roll3]
Psionics: [roll4]
Religion: [roll5]
the Planes: [roll6]HP: 60/60 (buffs and durations are in the sheet)
END TURN

Umbranar
2014-04-24, 05:19 AM
Arzan stretches his back as if he just came out of bed and then ascends 10 ft, drawing a wand while moving.
With a gesture, he unleashes a torrent of energy at his opponent. He then quickly activates his wand (if you have see invisibility you still see me, else I am invisible).

Free action: Draw Wand
Wand of Swift Invisibility drawn
Move Action: Fly to H20, 10ft up
Standard Action: Relentless Dispel
Dispel Checks:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
(If more needed please tell me)
Swift Action: Activate Wand

Buffs are on Sheet

END TURN

ben-zayb
2014-04-24, 06:05 AM
You might want to amend your action, since Relentless Dispelling is not an Eldritch essence, and thus can't be used with EB to my knowledge. You are also out of range for EB (60ft), unless you use a Shape Invocation.

Also, what's the physical description of how he flied? Was he just floating upward and forward? Flapping something?

Another clarification? Did Arzan appear to draw his wand from near his wrist or from a weapon? Otherwise, I'll wait for DM adjudication if Wand drawing action is legit. (Wand =/= weapon, if that's the logic behind free action draw)

Umbranar
2014-04-24, 06:32 AM
Your right about the EB but I can still Dispel from this distance.
As for flying, Im just floating there, no wings or anything.
As for drawing the wand. I have always played it like this but I can be wrong.

Editted post and deleted attack roll and damage.

ben-zayb
2014-04-24, 07:16 AM
The rules specifically say "you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move", in contrast to the previous normal Draw action (move action) still distinctly references weapon and weapon-like object when needed.

"This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item."

Nevertheless (and since it sounds I'm just hair-splitting anyway), here's my action.:smalltongue:Murmur tries to hold back a grin, in fascination, as he felt magical dweomers in his body being dissipated. He moves forward (S2) and draws an intricately carved baton, after which the grin finally escapes his lips as he points the baton at Arzan.Move: draw Wand of Dispel Magic
Free: 5-ft. step to S2
Standard: activate Wand. If I can't see him anymore (dispelled See the Unseen), area dispel in the middle of where I last saw him. Else, target him with dispel.Dispel Magic
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]

Umbranar
2014-04-24, 09:36 AM
Think you should spoiler spells and abilities seperate so I can spellcraft to open and see :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

ben-zayb
2014-04-24, 09:46 AM
Don't worry. DMs can adjudicate whether you identify the wand/s or not (you don't need to show me your spellcraft roll/s either).:smallwink:

Umbranar
2014-04-24, 10:16 AM
open play is good for the gamespeed tho:smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2014-04-24, 10:36 AM
Alternatively, you can allow me to look at your spellcraft rolls instead, to see whether it succeeds.:smalltongue:

OMG PONIES
2014-04-25, 06:25 AM
Pause, please.

How were you able to use relentless dispelling and also activate your wand of swift invisibility in round one? From what I can find, they're both standard actions.

Magic Items: Activating a spell completion item, activating a spell trigger item, or drinking a potion is a standard action even if the spell from which the scroll, potion, or item is made can be cast as a swift action
Retcon requested unless I'm missing a RAW citation. Please choose one standard action or the other.
I don't want to sound like I'm on a power trip, but for the sake of harmony in our games please be sure to bring any RAW questions about your opponent's action to the DMs instead of directly to that opponent. This game has been completely civil about it so far, but I don't want another foe to take offense.

To answer your RAW questions, I'm a bit confused. The rules you quoted listed that it also applies to "weapon-like objects such as wands," so why wouldn't that rule apply to wands as well as weapons? Also, your opponent has a method of drawing as a free action whether or not he's moving, so the point is rendered moot. Additionally, in the RAW discussion between you and your foe, there was an actual RAW violation that was missed; he used two standard actions in round 1--invoking and activating a wand. I've requested a retcon, but rest assured: if someone tries to do something that isn't on the up and up, the DMs will notice it and respond accordingly. If you have a question or feel something was missed, please bring it to our attention.

In regards to your knowledge roll, Arzan appears to be a human warlock.

Lastly, in round one, you mentioned being in T20...did you mean T1, as that was your starting square?

OOC to both: It would be greatly appreciated if you included a Spellcraft spoiler in your posts. Something like:

I cast Glitterdust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glitterdust.htm)

would be phenomenal, as it frees up my workload and lets the game run smoother. For instance, if a foe can self-identify what's been cast, they can respond accordingly instead of waiting for me to tell them if they know the spell or not. Another note, please be sure to mention your flying altitude in each post. Since Murmur just 5-foot stepped, I assumed he's still 80' up, but you know what they say about assuming...

ben-zayb
2014-04-25, 06:58 AM
Roger that spellcraft, DC is 16 which Arzan passed. Depending on possible retcon, I'll post the spell for the resolution.

As for resolving RAW questions sans DM, I just thought resolving it (if possible) between players would lead to a smoother game. Apologies if it came off as vigilante DMing.:smallsigh:

And fail coordinates on my part. That is indeed T1, and S2 altitude is also 80ft, to clarify.

All future posts will now be made with those considerations in mind.

Umbranar
2014-04-25, 10:47 AM
Aaah forgot about that rule. Im not invisible then. How would you like us to handle dispels?

Ooc: im not invisible.

ben-zayb
2014-04-26, 06:25 PM
Alright, Post#6 was edited to reflect spoiler-spellcraft addition. It's a targeted Dispel Magic