PDA

View Full Version : I just noticed something...

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-08, 11:34 PM
Empathic Feedback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicFeedback.htm)
You empathically share your pain and suffering with your attacker. Each time a creature strikes you in melee, it takes damage equal to the amount it dealt to you or 5 points, whichever is less. This damage is empathic in nature, so powers and abilities the attacker may have such as damage reduction and regeneration do not lessen or change this damage. The damage from empathic feedback has no type, so even if you took fire damage from a creature that has immunity to fire, empathic feedback will damage your attacker.Psionic characters can kill the tarrasque through hitpoint damage, assuming they can survive being beaten on long enough for the damage to add up.

oriong
2007-02-08, 11:42 PM
They still can't kill the tarrasque, the tarrasque is immune to death without wish. They can apparently cause it damage that can't be healed through regeneration however.

Of course, feasibly this will never kill the tarrasque before the psion, although a very high level psychic warrior might manage it, it's doubtful. Of course this assumes near the tarrasque's CR, at epic levels it would become a feasible way to knock big T out long term.

EDIT: And, logically, the tarrasque won't keep hitting him. He's stupid, but it would be like touching a stove: if every time you hit this thing you get hurt (and hurt in a way you've never been hurt before) you're going to stop hitting it after a while.

Fawsto
2007-02-08, 11:51 PM
It feels like the Champion of Bahamut and Evil Dragons. If I remember well, every time a dragon hits a CoB he receives like 1 or 2d6 of damage that can never be healed back.

Makes me imagine. Let's just say that the psyon in question has a way to recover his hitpoints at any time. If the tarrasque swalows it it is problem, for the tarrasque! The guy can, after some time, even scare the tarrasque like a puppy. Would make a fun scenario. "The Guy who Tamed the Tarrasque by being swalowd by him".

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-08, 11:53 PM
Combine it with hostile empathic transfer for more fun.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-02-09, 12:02 AM
They still can't kill the tarrasque, the tarrasque is immune to death without wish.Ain't so. The "can't be killed without wish or miracle" clause is part of his Regeneration ability. Given that regeneration is specifically listed as not changing the damage from Empathetic Feedback, Empathetic Feedback would deal lethal damage. Given enough time/attacks, that could certainly cause the death of Big T.

Arceliar
2007-02-09, 12:05 AM
I'm actually playing a psion in my current campaign for precisely that reason. Killing the terrasque. Seeing as there's that whole 24-hour-temporal-acceleration trick I was planning on resting and healing via body adjustment whenever i got below half HP.

Wish just makes a terrasque with more nonlethal damage than total hp + 10 die. Draining it of HP via standard damage still kills it. At least, this is what group eventually concluded.

Also, is it just me or could this ability + that infinite damage loop take out punpun? Theoretically anyway...

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 12:23 AM
Empathic Feedback + Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper + Karmic Strike = Leap in, lower your AC, and hope he crits you.

Oh, and hope you have a cleric on hand with resurrect.

Arceliar
2007-02-09, 12:29 AM
Nevermind.. I forgot Empathic Feedback only works on melee attacks... Actually Affinity Field + an infinite damage loop would work better...but...meh.

NullAshton
2007-02-09, 07:35 AM
"Each time a creature strikes you in melee, it takes damage equal to the amount it dealt to you or 5 points, whichever is less."

Sorry, you can only deal up to 5 damage with that ability.

Rigeld2
2007-02-09, 07:41 AM
Per hit. so 858 damage/5=172 hits. Thats almost 30 rounds of him beating on you. I dont think hes that dumb.

NullAshton
2007-02-09, 07:55 AM
Perhaps hostile empathic transfer would be better?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransferHostile.htm

Augment empathic feedback to level 20 maximum, having 18 points of feedback every time the tarrasque hits you. Tarrasque tries smashing you to a pulp, bunch of damage done to the tarrasque. Next, quickened augmented hostile empathic transfer and regular augmented hostile empathic transfer, sending 180 points of hurt over to the tarrasque. For best effects, wear heavy fortified armor and an amulet of health for maximum chance you don't actually go splat. Pump up your intelligence(I believe that's the main casting stat...) as high as it will go, you'll need the bonus power points. Hope you can survive for about 8 rounds of combat.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-09, 09:30 AM
Use Vigor to stay alive - manifest it anew every round!

Merlin the Tuna
2007-02-09, 09:41 AM
Sorry, you can only deal up to 5 damage with that ability.You could also augment it so you don't have to get hit 172 times.

Rigeld2
2007-02-09, 10:11 AM
You could also augment it so you don't have to get hit 172 times.
For a max of 20 damage per hit, making it surviving 40ish hits. Not much better.
edit: before overchannel, etc. type stuff.

blacksabre
2007-02-09, 11:13 AM
Wouldn't it be easier for a 18th level Wizard , to spend a few weeks making Dominate monster scrolls, then just fly over this thing out of reach, keep casting the dominates until one finally gets through the will save and SR?

Once thats done, he/she has 18 days of control..

It doesn't look like that thing can swimm..take it to deep water ..it doesn't have swim skill, looks like its way to large to tread water for any amount of time..

Drowning doesn't cause damage, so theres no regen...then wish it to stay dead...??

hewhosaysfish
2007-02-09, 11:33 AM
Wouldn't it be easier for a 18th level Wizard , to spend a few weeks making Dominate monster scrolls, then just fly over this thing out of reach, keep casting the dominates until one finally gets through the will save and SR?

He's gonna have to burn a lot of XP. If he went down this road, could he not just cast the spells directly at the tarrasque every day for those few weeks?

Once thats done, he/she has 18 days of control..

It doesn't look like that thing can swimm..take it to deep water ..it doesn't have swim skill,

But it has a massive STR.

looks like its way to large to tread water for any amount of time..

Buoyancy is all about density, not mass. Elephants, for example, the largest land animals alive IRL are supposed to be capable swimmers. Whales are also... quite comfortable in water...
I've not played DnD before 3.5 but I believe the tarrasque was originally semi-aquatic

Drowning doesn't cause damage, so theres no regen...then wish it to stay dead...??

Nice technicality. :smallamused:
You just need a way to get it to drown... maybe have a bunch of lower level wizards waiting out at sea to Wall of Iron it to Davey Jones' locker. Then when it hits the bottom, more minions (Water Breathing) start on Wall of Stone. Mhahahahaha!