PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Quintessential Soldier - Warforged Edition

Chester
2014-04-22, 04:06 PM
Hello all!

A while back, I started this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326557-Advice-on-a-Marshal) asking for advice on building a "Quintessential Soldier" type build that incorporated a Marshall.

It's getting close to build time, and my group is OK with me playing a Warforged!

Not sure if the Marshall idea works out much anymore, but I like the idea of a soldier type that isn't strictly hack-n-slash melee. Only now, he's Warforged.

I've looked through the Warforged Handbooks, but I'm asking here for build advice. Looks like point buy 41, maybe a bit less.

Catalysis
2014-04-23, 06:33 AM
Hello all!

A while back, I started this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326557-Advice-on-a-Marshal) asking for advice on building a "Quintessential Soldier" type build that incorporated a Marshall.

It's getting close to build time, and my group is OK with me playing a Warforged!

Not sure if the Marshall idea works out much anymore, but I like the idea of a soldier type that isn't strictly hack-n-slash melee. Only now, he's Warforged.

I've looked through the Warforged Handbooks, but I'm asking here for build advice. Looks like point buy 41, maybe a bit less.

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with marshall, but what I know is this: warforged make excellent melee combatant due to their numerous imunities, so be sure to find a way to get some more, and you will barely need to make saving throws!

Maybe try the dragonborn "template" from races of the dragon, you keep your warforged qualities and only loose composite plating and light fortification:) and you still qualify for feats like mithral body or adamantine body.

Be sure to check out the warforged fighter racial substitution level!

Good luck
- Catalysis

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-23, 06:48 AM
If you want to build the Quintessential warforged warrior, here is my favored build.

Fighter 6 / Warforged Juggernaut 2 / reforged 2 / warforged juggernaut 3 / X

Ok, so here is the rough idea. Your first 6 levels are Dungeoncrasher, Hit and Run, Zhentarim fighter. You don't need heavy armor prof because you are already prof in your adimantium or mitheral plate. Hit and run is basically +2 initiative for your tower shield prof. Dungeoncrasher is there for bullrushing, and zhentarim is there because you loose nothing taking it if your DM allows it.

Reforged removes the problems you get when taking warforged juggernaut, as it returns your ability to heal damage with both time and healing spells. This is great for the cost (2 levels of less than full bab)

I like to use unarmed strikes with this build, and nab beast strike for stacking a battlefist and supreme unarmed strike. Get a friendly wizard to give you two layers of mighty wallop and you are looking at 12d6 base weapon damage each hit.

You are a large metal warrior who smashes through everything and punches people through walls, while looking scary as all get out.

Chester
2014-04-23, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with marshall, but what I know is this: warforged make excellent melee combatant due to their numerous imunities, so be sure to find a way to get some more, and you will barely need to make saving throws!

Maybe try the dragonborn "template" from races of the dragon, you keep your warforged qualities and only loose composite plating and light fortification:) and you still qualify for feats like mithral body or adamantine body.

Be sure to check out the warforged fighter racial substitution level!

Good luck
- Catalysis

Melee, absolutely! Dragonborn . . . probably not. I'm definitely thinking Warforged Juggernaut.

If you want to build the Quintessential warforged warrior, here is my favored build.

Fighter 6 / Warforged Juggernaut 2 / reforged 2 / warforged juggernaut 3 / X

Ok, so here is the rough idea. Your first 6 levels are Dungeoncrasher, Hit and Run, Zhentarim fighter. You don't need heavy armor prof because you are already prof in your adimantium or mitheral plate. Hit and run is basically +2 initiative for your tower shield prof. Dungeoncrasher is there for bullrushing, and zhentarim is there because you loose nothing taking it if your DM allows it.

Reforged removes the problems you get when taking warforged juggernaut, as it returns your ability to heal damage with both time and healing spells. This is great for the cost (2 levels of less than full bab)

I like to use unarmed strikes with this build, and nab beast strike for stacking a battlefist and supreme unarmed strike. Get a friendly wizard to give you two layers of mighty wallop and you are looking at 12d6 base weapon damage each hit.

You are a large metal warrior who smashes through everything and punches people through walls, while looking scary as all get out.

I'm probably just missing the overall appeal of Reforged, since you lose a lot of those Warforged feats, correct?

I do like the Dungeoncrasher idea. I've never played a tank before, and I'm literally going to build a tank!

Another thought: is it worth taking a level or two of Sorcerer to qualify for that PrC (I forget its name, Spellforged or something) that grants you the magical runes?

What about Barbarian? Other PrC's that might work?

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-23, 12:47 PM
Reforged 3 causes you to loose your warforged feats. Reforged 2 keeps them all and overwrites the warforged juggernaut immunity to healing. Nothing forces you to take that 3rd level.

Sorcerer casting will be likely wasted with your spell failure from adi plate (needed for juggernaut).

Chester
2014-04-23, 12:52 PM
Reforged 3 causes you to loose your warforged feats. Reforged 2 keeps them all and overwrites the warforged juggernaut immunity to healing. Nothing forces you to take that 3rd level.

Ah, OK! (I was under the impression you lose it all at Reforged 1.)

Thank you!

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-23, 01:07 PM
You get +2 to some social skills, +2 to all wisdom skills and checks (stacks with the +2 to gather info and sense motive) and the ability to both heal naturally over time and receive the full benefit from healing spells.

The third level trades out all your warforged feats for other feats (a horrid idea).